Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,786
Newest Member: Zabbaskeema

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Ambex YM2 LP gas options
Dash08pilot
I've been roasting on an Ambex YM2 for around 10 years now. It is setup up to run on LP. Prior to our recent move, it was hooked up to a 120 gallon lp tank. Now that my roaster is in a temporary location, my best option for lp is a 20lb grill tank. Anybody know if this option will work? If so, what size regulator would I need? I believed it is rated up to 20,000 BTU. I am in desperate need of fresh coffee. I ran out a week ago. coffee drink

allenb
Dash, Welcome to HRO!

Most of the adjustable high pressure propane regulators will handle the throughput but what pressure were you feeding the roaster when connected to the 120 gallon tank? You'll need to pick a reg that will output that range of pressure. And yes, a 20 lb tank should work fine and last quite a while.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Dash08pilot
I am not sure what the pressure was. I had the LP gas company hook up the roaster. I did not think to get the regulator type prior to moving. I put a call into Ambex, but have had no response from them yet. Thanks for your reply.

boar_d_laze

Dash08pilot wrote:

I've been roasting on an Ambex YM2 for around 10 years now. It is setup up to run on LP. Prior to our recent move, it was hooked up to a 120 gallon lp tank. Now that my roaster is in a temporary location, my best option for lp is a 20lb grill tank. Anybody know if this option will work? If so, what size regulator would I need? I believed it is rated up to 20,000 BTU. I am in desperate need of fresh coffee. I ran out a week ago. coffee drink

Yes a 20lb tank will work. LP is LP.

I'm not sufficiently familiar to tell you which regulator is right for your situation, but I'll bet dollars to donuts it will be low and not high pressure. I suggest calling, rather than e-mailing, Ambex.

I'm on the road, so can't go outside and look at what I'm running -- but it's a high-grade commercial unit.

Once you get the right flow range from Ambex, call some commercial propane suppliers and see what they recommend.

Alternatively, you might be able to use an inexpensive home bbq or turkey fryer regulator. I couldn't make it work, and in hindsight, am glad I paid the extra few bucks for the real deal.

BDL
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood

allenb
Boar_d_laze is correct, it needs low pressure, specifically less than 1/2 psi.

I just spoke with Amer at Ambex and he suggests using this two stage regulator sold at Lowes

http://www.lowes....facetInfo=

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Dash08pilot
I tried to call Ambex yesterday and today with no success. I used the number on their web page. I sent an email and Amer responded. I have a regulator on order. I should be back in business soon. Do you know a better phone number for Ambex?

Thx
Gary

allenb
When Amer answered, it was on the last of many rings. He was very polite and helpful and explained that he does not have the ability to answer all the calls that come into his office which is around 200/day and prefers emails so he can respond when he's not in the middle of things during the day. So, I was probably very lucky to get through today.

I know of a few businesses that unfortunately are not quite large enough to be able to staff a full time tech response person so it can be a real challenge for them to maintain high end customer service via phone.

Let us know how the reg works out for you.

Allen

Dash08pilot
Amer answered my email pretty fast. I have not needed to contact them in the last 9.5 years, so I got a little concern when the number on my manual was no longer in service and the number I got off the website was not being answered.

The YM2 has been a very reliable roaster. I am very well pleased with it. I am looking forward to roasting again. It has been two long months. I will let you know how it work.

Gary

Dash08pilot
UPDATE:

I hooked the roaster up to a 20# tank using a dual stage regulator. It works fine. The only issue that I am having is, when I try to adjust the flame with the control valve, any position except full causes the flame to pulse on and off. The only way I have found to prevent this is by adjusting the fuel shutoff valve in the back of the machine to achieve the desired flame. Any ideas what would cause this? Must be a regulator flow issue? I am not sure if it is proper to use the shutoff valve this way, but it seems to provide good control of the flame. On a side note the coffee is most excellent!! Grin

allenb
Gary,

Glad to hear you're getting good roasts. Not sure about the pulsing issue. Can you take some photos of the gas components and post so we can see what you've got? Also, do you have a link to a user manual you can post? This would help us work through this with you.

Allen

Dash08pilot
Allen,

I will take some pictures monday and submit them. I have an Ambex manual that came with the roaster, but does not cover fuel issues. I do have the watlow manual, but i won't think that would help??

Thanks
Gary

allenb
Gary,

You may have missed this thread since it's under dataloggers, controllers. It shows some photos of another members YM-2. Unfortunately, the thread doesn't deal with the issues you're having. Does your gas control components look like these?

http://forum.home...post_44873

Here's a link to a post where we got some feedback from maxitrol on how the valve is supposed to operate.

http://forum.home...post_44911

Allen

Dash08pilot
Alan,

I have posted three pictures of the gas ccontrol components. It is a Honeywell unit.

Gary

allenb

Dash08pilot wrote:

Alan,

I have posted three pictures of the gas ccontrol components. It is a Honeywell unit.

Gary

Gary,

Where are these posted?

Allen

Dash08pilot
Alan,

Sorry the pictures are not attaching. I'll try tomorrow from my computer.

Gary

allenb
Gary,

Make sure you read all of the photo posting info here before you give it a try.

http://forum.home...?cat_id=16

Allen

Dash08pilot
Alan,

I adjusted the photo to meet the requirements. The detail may not be to good, but here it is. I can't seem to get the second photo to attach. It is under the pixel and size requirement.

Gary
Dash08pilot attached the following image:
img_0919cropped.jpg

Edited by Dash08pilot on 01/21/2014 4:08 PM

Jump to Forum: