Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
A good first machine
JackH
What would be a good model espresso machine to start with? I see lever and automatic. It is just me drinking the coffee at home so I don't need a huge machine. Maybe in the $200 to $300 range if possible.

I don't know much about them.

Thanks,
Jack

jedovaty
Which grinder do you have? That really is the most important part. With a good grinder, you can get good-great espresso from something as cost effective as a mypressi twist :) In fact, when I don't want to fire up my commercial lever (brugnetti aurora from 1980s), I use the twist and it is great. But, I have a good grinder. Didn't work well with with previous grinders.

JackH
I have a Capresso grinder that is suitable for the pour over I usually make. And I have a manual ceramic Kyocera CM-50CF modified by Orphan Espresso (OE-PFP modification).

The Capresso was a $10 thrift store purchase.

Maybe I should focus more on the grinder to start?

Koffee Kosmo
A small lever machine - Something like the Arrarex Caravel or similar would be my recommendation

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

jedovaty
Yes. That's the suggestion you'll get from pretty much any/all the espresso people. I prefer brewed coffee to espresso, but, I've gained improved acquired taste for it over the last year.

It's sort of hard to buy the grinder first, sit around without a machine, etc, so, you should budget for both, and be prepared to go over budget.

A good starter, new, motorized grinder for espresso would be the lelit pl 53 (~$250 when my friends were investigating). I think it gives the best bang for the buck. You can get hand grinders capable of espresso for much cheaper (e.g. porlex, hario, lido). The pharos will offer you best bang for the espresso buck in hand grinders. I had one, but it's a massive pain in the arse.

Alternatively, since you are in a DIY forum, do check out ads for super jolly grinders, or other used grinders, I've seen them sell for $100-200, and these are slightly "better" than the lelit, but keep in mind size.

Once you settle on a grinder, you can forecast remainder of budget on the machine.

jedovaty
Oh - and PS: I did successfully manage to get espresso out of my big red grindmaster :) It's surprisingly.. interesting...

mary26
It is absolutely necessary to have a good grinder if you want to really enjoy your espresso and for a good grinder be prepared to shell out some more cash. I recently bought the Gaggia New Baby semi automatic espresso machine from Daily Cuppa Coffee http://www.dailyc...hine-black last month for just $299 and it's already become my favorite thing in the house. This is a programmable machine and it does make some good espresso to my surprise!! :)

mary26
Sorry :)

JackH
Mary, thanks for the suggestion, it is a good one.

I am not sure why you are sorry.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

ginny
Jack:

a small lever is great but Mary is on target with the Gaggia New Baby semi automatic, it is a wonderful semi auto that may in the end give you more choice and consistency with your drinks.

it is the upgrade of the original Gaggia Baby that sold thousands and was modied like crazy to all of us espresso nuts out here.

I had one, PID's and it is still working in a dorm room at Cal...

at 299 plus/minus it is a little work horse. I have read that some have had issues with leaks but with a Square Trade warranty for like 20 bucks for three years you really cannot slide to far off the cliff.

let us know what you decide.

ginny

smoking

mary26

JackH wrote:

Mary, thanks for the suggestion, it is a good one.

I am not sure why you are sorry.

You are welcome and the sorry was for the double post :p

Barrie
Jack, there is a great espresso section among the forums at CoffeeGeek. Very informative! They recommend budgeting as much or more for your grinder, as for the espresso machine.

Sorry about this. It was intended as an add-on to the previous message but came through as an additional one. Maybe you or another administrator can remove the first one? And this para?
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

ginny

They recommend budgeting as much or more for your grinder, as for the espresso machine.

up to a point this makes sense.

though you can buy a hand grinder for under 100 bucks that will produce excellent grinds...

ginny

smoking

snwcmpr
I am following this thread closely.
I got a La Pavoni Europicolla pre-millenium at a Goodwill. It just needed a bit of cleaning and works great. I found the Baratza Virtuoso would grind fine enough, but not consistently enough for this brewer, so I ended up using the Zassenhaus hand grinder. A bit of a pain, but not too bad for the small amount it brews (only a ristretto size shot).
I have been looking for a Rocky, not full price, and haven't been lucky yet.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

Bonsai Doug

I got a La Pavoni Europicolla pre-millenium at a Goodwill. It just needed a bit of cleaning and works great.

Wow! Nice score! I always scour thrift shops, but have never come up with a gem. Just shows... keep looking.
Edited by ginny on 05/01/2014 9:51 AM

snwcmpr
I found a 3 lb Bunn Commercial grinder once. Let my local roaster have it for my cost ... 70 USD.

Jack,
I also have a lot of fun using one of my Bialetti, clones, or Vev Vigano stainless steel stove top espresso makers on my vintage camp stoves I collect. A good brew if done correctly.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

Jump to Forum: