Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,167
Newest Member: Soubriquet

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Roasting Colombia reserva del patron
JackH
I see something unusual about roasting these beans. I operate my roaster manually and just monitor the roast. I am usually able to adjust the heat at the right time to slow down the roast after first crack. I have operated this roaster for two years (KKTO roaster). I usually roast about 650g batch.

These beans do not respond the same way as my past roasts, I could not slow down the BT and things ran quickly into second crack. The beans are very large, 18+ screen size.

It is a new bean for me to roast and I wonder if this is normal for a larger bean. I am going to try again and reduce heat earlier. I have added a chart of the roast.

Any thoughts?
JackH attached the following image:
columbianreserva.png

---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Airhan
I don't have a solution for you Jack, but as far as roasting Colombian coffee, one of the first coffees I roasted was Colombian. I put in a unmodified poppery II and finished the roast in about 6 minutes, fc started at about 4:50. That was one of my best tasting roasts believe it or not.

So how does this help you? Maybe a quicker roast than normal is acceptable for this coffee, just stop it before it gets to dark (as usual).
Aaron
"Grind it like it did you some great injustice!"D.L.Clark

JackH
Thanks Airhan,

I guess my main question is about the size of the bean maybe building up more heat and releasing more. These are the largest beans I have seen and it got me thinking if that would be a factor you need to adjust for.

Jack
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

jkoll42
In my experience real big beans (elephant or a hybrid of) are a PITA to roast. They are so much less dense than a standard bean. My belief is that between the lower density and greater surface area the heat transfer is greater like you have noticed. Since 1C- 2C requires the least amount of heat input the increased transfer to the bean makes for fast roasting if you can't reduce heat input. They also seem to be more likely to scorch/tip so you have to be very careful about the heat.

Jon
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

allenb
My suggestion is to very carefully cut each bean in half prior to roasting but you're going to want to make sure it's exactly in half otherwise we'll have unequal development! This will assuredly make for a stellar roast! smoking

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

JimH
I agree with Jon that large beans are difficult to roast well. In my experience cutting the heat earlier on them works much better than trying to slam on the brakes.

FWIW, I bought a few pounds of the Reserva del Patron a couple years ago. I tried 9 different profiles and ended up with 9 undrinkable roasts. I'm not sure if it was my lack of skill or the coffee, but I'm wishing you good luck on this one.

allenb
Sorry for the slice em in half comment. It's no fun when you're stuck with a bean that won't play ball no matter what you try.

I think you're on the right track with cutting the power early and to sneak up on 1st so you can be ahead of the curve and drop enough by the end of 1st to slow er down.

How much of this green do you have?

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

JackH
Thanks all! I have 5 pounds and I will try a different approach. My first attempt was drinkable but darker than I like.

I think if I cut them in half, they would be the size of what I am used to roasting. Grin
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

jkoll42
I'm with Allen with the half bean - a paper cutter works great for this task.

This is a helpful article for after the bean cutting process! http://www.massge...inger.aspx
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

Jump to Forum: