Total Members: 7,788
Newest Member: ediblemanager

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
how not to remove coating
AMAC
Hi All,

I'm in the process (or was) of building a BM roaster. I wanted to put this out there for a data point.

I wanted to remove the coating from the mixing container in my BM. I first tried aircraft remover in a spray can to no effect. I then heated the container with a heat gun (with appropriate PPE) to see if the remover needed a bit more energy; no effect. Then i tried to burn the coating off with the heat gun; no effect. Then while I was burning things i tried my MAP gas torch but while torching I remembered a better torch. I have a 100K BTU propane torch for weed removal etc. So I went out in the snow (with proper PPE) and sent an inferno inside the container. I should have stopped. Anybody here a bad aluminum welder? I am. At this temperature i'm not sure what happens to the coating but you will melt your container and stirrer.
Back to the drawing board.

AMAC

JackH
It is a very tough coating as you experienced. I think either grinding it off or sand blasting is the only way to get it all off. It is still a lot of work.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Jump to Forum: