Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,784
Newest Member: drygrounds

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Bread machine build!
icantroast
Did another roast today, took it out too early because I thought I heard first crack finish and thought I might've even heard second crack. Well, it wast done. Not wanting to waste EVEN MORE beans, I did the unthinkable and quickly put them back in and let it finish. Hopefully it turns out right.

cross fingers

Still looking for answers to my above question; I'm a little concerned!
-Jim

David

icantroast wrote:I covered it in aluminum foil in an attempt to thicken it so beans wouldn't get stuck anymore. Is this ok? I see no reason why it'd be unsafe.

You're fine. You can fabricate one yourself for a more permanent solution.
Tilting the machine 10 degrees or so is also a helpful way to keep beans from sitting in one place.

David

icantroast wrote:Did another roast today, took it out too early because I thought I heard first crack finish and thought I might've even heard second crack. Well, it wast done. Not wanting to waste EVEN MORE beans, I did the unthinkable and quickly put them back in and let it finish. Hopefully it turns out right.

No problem. Relax. There is nothing in what you did that's horrible (or unprecedented.) How did it taste? That's the real test.

icantroast
We'll find out tomorrow! A little early to drink, but I don't mind.

That's a great idea with the tilting! Thanks for the kind words; sometimes I get a little frustrated with this and forget that I'm doing it for fun, heh.

The k-type thermometer arrived today, so I'll (hopefully) be able to look forward to more consistent results once I get it installed.
-Jim

Lawnmowerman
Ill post a pic of my thermocouple mount. Im very pleased with it. The breadpan/thermocouple remove as a unit. Just pull it out and dump. If im worried about snagging i just unplug the yellow connector first. Got to take pics first.
Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.

Lawnmowerman
Here it is. Its aluminum tubing clamped to the outside of the bean container. This one was preformed. A straight one will do just fine. T c wire is fed into top, out bottom, sharp turn and into a barbed mpt fitting. Barb is on inside and is cut way short. Nut is on outside holding fitting in place. Then i put some red silicone to stop thermocouple tip from moving. I tried to get this pictured butwasnt able to get the interior shot. Here is the exterior shot:
Lawnmowerman attached the following image:
cam00478-1.jpg

Lawnmowerman
I should also mention the t c wire just drapes out the top where the lid joins andlays in a grove cut inthe lower lid mating surface.

icantroast
Thanks for the info and picture! I'll try to get some of that stuff you mentioned and set it up.
-Jim

icantroast
Roasted 1 and a half cups of ethiopian beans today. They're organic, from Sweet Marias, and I have to say, they have a LOT more defects than the other beans I got from there. Wonder if it's something I'm doing different or if it's organic beans or ethiopian beans or what. Weird.

Anyway, I'm still having a lot of trouble hearing when first crack is over. I can hear a couple louder cracks and then it sounds like second crack, even when it's not. And then second crack comes on so fast with this BM roaster. Also, I get a lot of 'tipping' which I can't figure out. Totally forgot to tilt the machine--that should help a bit.

Bought a bayonet k type thermocouple since I decided mounting the regular thermocouple might be too difficult for me. I might add a little exhaust to the bottom.

Another thing I don't like about these roasters is that it seems like at the end I have to make a mad dash to disassemble everything and make sure not to burn myself. I have to work on usability.

Just some minor frustrations, hopefully the thermometer will help things along but i've got to do some other stuff too.
-Jim

ginny

they have a LOT more defects than the other beans I got from there.

what type/kind of defects are your talking about?

-g

icantroast
Some of the beans have areas that almost look like craters but appear to be underneath the surface of the bean--the craters could be dark or grayish. Some of the beans almost dont even look like beans; they look more like rocks. Some of them look like beans but seem discolored, like gray. Some are kind of stretched/deformed/hollowed. Stuff like that.
-Jim

ginny
Jim:

would you please post some pictures of these offending beans?

I would like to see what you are talking about

thanks,

ginny

icantroast
I threw as many as I could find out the door! I'll try to see if there are any in there that I missed.
-Jim

ginny
why am I not surprised.

you got those beans left in a bag, you did not roast them all?

send me a photo...

I wanna see these horrid beans.

-g

icantroast
I don't have any left. I roasted them all. I guess you don't believe me and I'm not sure what I can do to prove it. I'll see if I overlooked some, but I threw away the most obvious offenders. I don't know why I'd lie about this, though. I asked because I was genuinely curious and figured you pros would have some insight but I probably shouldn't have. Not saying their beans are bad or anything; the others seemed fine.
-Jim

ginny
Jim:

I am not suggesting you are not telling the truth here.

just that most folks would post a picture of the offending beans so we could see what's up and help if we could.

I wanted to see what you were talking about that is all...

ginny

limb

icantroast
Okie dokie, I looked through them quickly and found these. They are indicative of what I am talking about, but not nearly the worst. Taking good close ups of coffee beans is a little harder than I though. http://imgur.com/...

I didn't mean to accuse you of anything, sorry if I misunderstood! I know that I probably sound crazy at times, lol.
-Jim

ginny
Jim:

you do not sound crazy at all. I did not mean to imply that t all.

I was really curious about the bad bean issue.

we, as roasters, want to know when there are bad batches out there and I was surprised that SM would sell
beans that had serious issues.

I appreciate your posting and your pictures.

not sure what is up with these but they look very well roasted. very dark. were they all uneven before roasting as well?

thamks,

ginny

icantroast
To be honest I didn't really look too much at them before I roasted them. The first half of the bag I did had similar defects. The roast looks surprisingly dark in the pictures but is quite light in real life. Nothing against Sweet Maria's, though! I'm too new at this to know what I'm talking about but I hear they only have the highest quality beans.

I guess what matters in the end is how they taste, so hopefully all is good on that front. Thanks for all the advice!
-Jim

Airhan
Hi Jim, how fast was your roast with these beans? I believe that tipping is caused by charging the beans at too high of a temp. and the spots might be from heating them up to fast (I'm not completely sure about that though).
Aaron
"Grind it like it did you some great injustice!"D.L.Clark

icantroast
Hey guys, finally managed to get the thermocouple in the roast chamber and that has helped a lot. Now I want to insulate the roast chamber with something. I'm thinking I might get one of those fire proof cloths to insulate it.
-Jim

icantroast
Hey there, just wondering if any of you smart people have any tips on making a stirring paddle! Any info would be much appreciated!
-Jim

Lawnmowerman
Use a collar with a set screw. Remove set screw. Replace with allen head screw long enough for a jam nut and lock waser. I used a strip of aluminum for the paddle. Collar had to ne reamed out to 10mm but it was very soft metal. I ended up with 3 strips of aluminum riveted together for the paddles. Also youmight want to check the fiber washer on the underside as this will wear out. Try to get something ahead of time for when it does.
Lawnmowerman attached the following images:
cam00485-1.jpg cam00484-1.jpg

icantroast
Any idea what a good fireproof insulative material would be? I'm thinking just one of those fireproof towels used for soldering.
-Jim

icantroast
Hey, any of you guys have any good tips about using different receptacles besides the one that comes with the bread machine? I'd like to get away from the teflon if I can, though i don't think its necessarily a big deal. I've heard of people using a tea kettle but that seems really small! Shock

Additionally, anyone have any tips on how far to keep the tip of the heat gun from the beans?

Btw, lawnmowerman, thanks for the advice and pictures you have given me!
-Jim

Jump to Forum: