Total Members: 7,173
Newest Member: SecondChild

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Bread machine build!
ginny
Jim:

I am not suggesting you are not telling the truth here.

just that most folks would post a picture of the offending beans so we could see what's up and help if we could.

I wanted to see what you were talking about that is all...

ginny

limb
icantroast
Okie dokie, I looked through them quickly and found these. They are indicative of what I am talking about, but not nearly the worst. Taking good close ups of coffee beans is a little harder than I though. http://imgur.com/...

I didn't mean to accuse you of anything, sorry if I misunderstood! I know that I probably sound crazy at times, lol.
-Jim
ginny
Jim:

you do not sound crazy at all. I did not mean to imply that t all.

I was really curious about the bad bean issue.

we, as roasters, want to know when there are bad batches out there and I was surprised that SM would sell
beans that had serious issues.

I appreciate your posting and your pictures.

not sure what is up with these but they look very well roasted. very dark. were they all uneven before roasting as well?

thamks,

ginny
icantroast
To be honest I didn't really look too much at them before I roasted them. The first half of the bag I did had similar defects. The roast looks surprisingly dark in the pictures but is quite light in real life. Nothing against Sweet Maria's, though! I'm too new at this to know what I'm talking about but I hear they only have the highest quality beans.

I guess what matters in the end is how they taste, so hopefully all is good on that front. Thanks for all the advice!
-Jim
Airhan
Hi Jim, how fast was your roast with these beans? I believe that tipping is caused by charging the beans at too high of a temp. and the spots might be from heating them up to fast (I'm not completely sure about that though).
Aaron
"Grind it like it did you some great injustice!"D.L.Clark
icantroast
Hey guys, finally managed to get the thermocouple in the roast chamber and that has helped a lot. Now I want to insulate the roast chamber with something. I'm thinking I might get one of those fire proof cloths to insulate it.
-Jim
icantroast
Hey there, just wondering if any of you smart people have any tips on making a stirring paddle! Any info would be much appreciated!
-Jim
Lawnmowerman
Use a collar with a set screw. Remove set screw. Replace with allen head screw long enough for a jam nut and lock waser. I used a strip of aluminum for the paddle. Collar had to ne reamed out to 10mm but it was very soft metal. I ended up with 3 strips of aluminum riveted together for the paddles. Also youmight want to check the fiber washer on the underside as this will wear out. Try to get something ahead of time for when it does.
Lawnmowerman attached the following images:
cam00485-1.jpg cam00484-1.jpg

Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.
icantroast
Any idea what a good fireproof insulative material would be? I'm thinking just one of those fireproof towels used for soldering.
-Jim
icantroast
Hey, any of you guys have any good tips about using different receptacles besides the one that comes with the bread machine? I'd like to get away from the teflon if I can, though i don't think its necessarily a big deal. I've heard of people using a tea kettle but that seems really small! Shock

Additionally, anyone have any tips on how far to keep the tip of the heat gun from the beans?

Btw, lawnmowerman, thanks for the advice and pictures you have given me!
-Jim
icantroast
Anyone have any ideas how to either strip the teflon from the chamber or maybe even use a different chamber altogether? What things would I need to transfer the base of the current chamber to another of my choosing?

I'm not too worried about the teflon, but I've noticed as i have been roasting some of the teflon on the bottom has stripped off, and I definitely dont want to be consuming any more teflon than I absolutely need to...

THANKS!
-Jim
Lawnmowerman
Jim. As to the Teflon: the roaster where I get my beans told me that once a Fatima has developed on the surface of the Teflon it should be fine. Ok with me. Once I started seeing gouges in the Teflon I started checking my roasted beans but not really concerned. Any pieces of Teflon were sucked up by the Cooler. Now to put a base on another vessel. Cut the whole bottom out, leaving as much flat area as you can. Then, use RIVETS to fix it to whatever you have to put it on. Hope this helps. Ben.
icantroast
Thanks for the advice Ben! Extremely useful as always. I dont use a vacuum to cool the beans down, but I toss them around a lot. I doubt I'm getting any in my system, but I guess its something to think about. I mostly just want a reason to switch the base! Now to find a good vessel...
-Jim
MerlinWerks

Lawnmowerman wrote:

Jim. As to the Teflon: the roaster where I get my beans told me that once a Fatima has developed on the surface of the Teflon it should be fine.

Wait are you saying you have an image of the Virgin Mary on the inside of your roaster?? Grin

Oh wait, I guess you meant patina...

Just messin' with ya Ben ThumbsUp
Lawnmowerman
RoflmaoBBQ grill Thank you for that,Merlin. I meant patina,yes.
David

icantroast wrote:Hey, any of you guys have any good tips about using different receptacles besides the one that comes with the bread machine?.....I've heard of people using a tea kettle but that seems really small! Shock

The teakettle has plenty of room for beans, really, and the shape helps keep the beans from flying around. You can do a pound easily.

David
aka "The Red Kettle Roaster"

The picture on the right uses two mixing bowls nested together, topped off by a turbo oven. There are lots of possibilities.
David attached the following images:
redkettle_1.jpg whf.jpg bmto.jpg

Edited by David on 08/06/2014 9:22 AM
Lawnmowerman
Here's a pic of how rivets can be used for attaching a base to a roasting vessel:
Lawnmowerman attached the following image:
20140806_085527-2.jpg

MerlinWerks

Lawnmowerman wrote:

Here's a pic of how rivets can be used for attaching a base to a roasting vessel:

I like this, may spawn some ideas for a new winter project. Just picked up a spare bread machine, identical to my first for $10, so I do have some spare parts to play with...
icantroast
I have literally no idea how to remove the base of this so I can use a different chamber. We have a bread machine that we actually use for bread that has screws, but not this one. Here are a couple pics if anyone has any ideas! https://imgur.com...
-Jim
David

icantroast wrote:I have literally no idea how to remove the base of this so I can use a different chamber. We have a bread machine that we actually use for bread that has screws, but not this one. Here are a couple pics if anyone has any ideas! https://imgur.com...

You can't just remove the rotating mechanism. Some of the bottom of the pan has to go with it.

Use a Dremel or other rotary cutting tool to cut out the entire bottom including the attachment mechanism. Include as much of the margins of the flat bottom as you can.

A hacksaw will also work to cut the flat, square piece out of the bottom of the loaf pan. You'll end up with a 3-4 inch square that can be rivetted or bolted onto the next chamber you select.

Here's how it looks on the bottom of the Red Kettle.
David attached the following image:
kettlebottom.jpg
Jump to Forum: