Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,176
Newest Member: Adrian

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Very large price jump on Hottop Roasters
BarryR
The B-2K just shot up to $1100 and the P-2K to $1250!
This is a huge increase for the B-2K (34% to be exact). It probably makes the Huky and Quest much closer competitors.

Luckily I got my B-2K in January for $820.
Barry
threwitallaway
WOW! Same here. I bought mine in late March, came in early April. Paid $820 as well.

BarryR wrote:

The B-2K just shot up to $1100 and the P-2K to $1250!
This is a huge increase for the B-2K (34% to be exact). It probably makes the Huky and Quest much closer competitors.

Luckily I got my B-2K in January for $820.

Got mine last week for $820 as well! Wow! Good timing!
Barrie
For what its worth I see that the Taiwan to US dollar exchange rate has been pretty stable for the last couple of years, so that is not the problem.
Edited by Barrie on 04/17/2014 11:06 PM
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).
ginny
no, it is greed plain and simple and they will price themselves out of the home market especially with new roasters coming in with tons-o-options and more to offer for a bit more money...

-g

I will check but I think I paid 950 a few months ao for my Hot Top B 2-K

the Quest was right about 1000 I will look.
turtle
Price has been pretty stable for a while but this does seem like a big jump with no improvements to the models.
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia
Barrie
From a marketing point of view, when faced with increasing competition from the same region of the world this does seem to be a counter-intuitive move?
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
smatty1
The GC had a price increase recently too. Also the dollar is worth less and less year after year, so you gotta figure that in.
Arch
I wonder if they need to raise capital to finish the new Big Hottop?
BarryR

Arch wrote:

I wonder if they need to raise capital to finish the new Big Hottop?

Possibly, but raising the price doesn't necessarily mean raising capital; if volume drops they could wind up behind.

I would think someone made a determination that whatever business they might lose from the higher price would be offset by the larger profit margin.
Barry
MassWineGuy
They're just not raking in enough money to pay off their yachts. Used Hottops come up on Craigslist pretty often. Better off buying one of these.
coffeeroastersclub
I imagine that the company looked at the quantity sold at a specific price and decided the price increase reflects the highest profit point. Just some thoughts on the matter.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln
threwitallaway
The increase flies in the face of logic. Okay, raise your price on an item. A reasoonable increase might have been, say, $100 USD. That is steep enough. But $280? They are either planning on using their (theoretical) increase in profit to fund a new project, or they are deluded into thinking they are the best kid on the block and people will pay whatever to own a Hottop.

If I had not gotten mine a week or so before, I certainly would not be paying $1100 for a B-2K. I would be buying a Behmor, or perhaps a Gene Cafe. As it was it was a close race for me between the $300 Behmor and the HT. I really wanted a HT drum roaster because it was the closest thing to a Professional roaster for the price, and that is what won out. But $1.1K? NO way. I'd rather spend a bit more for a HUKY. My 2 cents.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
boar_d_laze

Barrie wrote:

When the hubbub dies down. I can see an argument that the HT's competition is not the Behmor or Gene Cafe, but rather the Huky or the Quest, and it is priced below either of those.

The only disagreement I have with what you wrote Barrie, is that since they've been on the market the Quest and Huky have been the HT's real competition for their ability to execute precise profiles. For the same reason, the Gene less so; and the Behmor not at all.

Rich
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood
snwcmpr
Rich,
I think you said the same thing Barrie said.
Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".
boar_d_laze

snwcmpr wrote:

I think you said the same thing Barrie said.

So I did.

Rich
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood
BarryR
And now to make things even more interesting, soon there will be an upgrade kit for the Behmor (likely $100 or less) which will allow control of heat and provide some temperature readouts.

No doubt, the Hottop will still be the better machine and the Behmor still cools the beans slowly but the upgrade addresses two major limitations of the Behmor -- temperature info and manual control.

While it was easy for me to decide to upgrade to an $820 Hottop B-2K a few months ago (with no upgrade available for the Behmor), I'm pretty sure I would have gone with the ~$100 Behmor upgrade rather than $1100 for a new Hottop.
Barry
Jump to Forum: