leekindo, Welkome !

09/14/2021 9:18 AM
TheHobo, Bigtuna and kilaw, welcome to forum

09/10/2021 8:14 AM
Welcome, hakan and flugsio !

09/06/2021 10:48 AM
Welcome, White Iron ! Grin Welcome marmalade

09/01/2021 1:51 PM
Welcome, sunbear73, KellersCup and cchrisgates !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 12

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,320
Newest Member: leekindo

View Thread

Who is here? 2 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Bread machine guidance?
psklenar
Good afternoon! nice site. Thank you to Ginny & David for your Shoutbox welcomes! :)

On to my query ... I've hit all four "local" thrift shops. I've asked my local friends and family. No one has a bread maker that they want to get rid of/sell. Sounds like I need to start searching eBay.

My objective is to roast a pound at a time, probably twice per weekend (one pound (or slightly more) for brew and one (or somewhat less) for espresso). I may try using a heat gun initially, but am leaning towards a turbo oven top since it seems to me that that would allow me to more easily be consistent. (what? me? Inconsistent? <blush>)

So ... what should I be looking for? I see some sellers list whether the pan is teflon coated, but most don't say. I haven't seen anyone mention whether the stirrers are metal or not. Are there any "recommended" makes and/or models that I should look for to save time?

Thanks,
pat----
David
Here's a start -- rectangular or round. ;)

I had picked up several rectangular ones at local thrift shops before I ever saw one that was round. s:4

The rectangular ones were easy to modify. I just stripped them down to the motor and stirring mount. I roasted in the bread loafpan that came with it at first, then I grafted a 3 qt saucepan onto the bottom of the loaf pan to get more volume and avoid problems with the square loaf pan.

Then I saw PeterZ's modification of the bread machine. He put a large stainless steel bowl on his that was big enough to put a turbo oven on. I couldn't figure put how he got such a large bowl onto stirring mount because the motor would get in the way. That's when I realized that he had built his on top of a round breadmachine! That left plenty of room for a wide bowl because it was above the motor.

So, if you want to use a turbo oven, it is easiest to get a round breadmachine. The next choice would be to decide if you want to mount the bowl on top of the machine by using a rod of some kind to extend the power of the motor upwards. Or, strip the case off and graft the bowl directly to the mount mechanism. That involves cutting the bottom of the loaf pan off and attaching the mount part to the bottom of the roasting bowl. That's the route I have gone.

AS for sourcing, if you can't find one up there I'll locate one for you here and send it to you for my cost (figure $10-15) plus shipping.

I'd be happy to talk you through the modificaton, if you'll take pictures and post them here at homeroasters.org

GrinGrin
Edited by David on 02/25/2007 6:34 PM
psklenar
David,

Thank you for the response. When you say "round", do you mean a set up like this (http://tinyurl.co...) DAK currently on eBay?

So, if I understand, I would take a unit like this, extend the stiring shaft up, mount a 12" diameter mixing bowl to the top of that, rig some sort of mixing arm inside the bowl and put the TO on top of that?

pat----
David

psklenar wrote:
David,

Thank you for the response. When you say "round", do you mean a set up like this (http://tinyurl.co...) DAK currently on eBay?

Yep, eggzackly.

So, if I understand, I would take a unit like this, extend the stiring shaft up, mount a 12" diameter mixing bowl to the top of that, rig some sort of mixing arm inside the bowl and put the TO on top of that?
pat----

Right again, Pat.
You also have to disconnect the heatng loop that goes around the loafpan.
psklenar
OK, I placed a bid. We'll see what comes of it this evening. :) If I win, I may be asking for some guidance on affixing a stirring shaft extension & what to use for a stirring arm. pretty sure I can figure out how to drill a hole in the bottom of the mixing bowl. :)

Now to fix breakfast and get over to my sisters house to help clean up. yesterday's rains left over a foot of water in the basement. :(

thanks!
pat----
psklenar
Was outbid on the DAK. But scored a Toastmaster 1148X this afternoon for $9.99 plus $13 & change for S&H. Under $25 total and it's from a ham only a state away (I'm a ham as well). Not as good as the sun $5 prices so many folks report in the thrift stores, but considering the five thrift stores I walked into had no bread machines at all ... I guess i can't complain too much.

here's the product page on Amazon: http://www.amazon...B00004R93H

Should this be usable as a starting point? Anyone know anything about this model when used for coffee roasting and have any warnings?

Thanks,
pat----
peterz
Welcome to the Bread Machine roasting club :)
Sounds like you scored a good deal from a commercial source.
Bread machines are indeed cheap in thrift stores, but they are heavy and expensive to ship!
I have been roasting with bread machine / turbo oven combination for a while now, several hundred pounds, and will be glad to help in any way I can.
The link is named PGR and Kilogram Roaster Project, link to the work is here:
http://homeroaste...orum_id=32
Lots of pics, but perhaps not enough.
I have learned a lot about the method and will do updates in the near future.
B)
I have broken it down to just using the motor and bread pan mount from the bread machine, and learned over time that you are better off just using the heating element and fan motor from the Turbo Oven. All the switches and wires that come stock will eventually burn out, but the motor seems almost indestrctable Shock
Edited by peterz on 03/04/2007 9:51 PM
psklenar
Thank you Peter. Not that it matters, but I bought this BM from an individual on eBay, not a commercial source. I just posted the Amazon link since that was one of the more informative sources of info I could find on this model. :)

I've see your threads and am strongly leaning in going in that direction. I see there are both an analog and a digital control version of the TO ... is there any benefit of one over the other for coffee roasting?

One question ... the write ups for this model BM mention a non-stick aluminum pan. Does that automatically mean Teflon? I was wondering if I dare try a HG (since i have one in the basement) based roast (or two or three) while I'm collecting the remaining pieces to build the complete BM/TO set up?

Thanks,
pat----
boyntonstu
IMHO A BM for stirring and a HG mounted as shown in my posts is the simplist, easiest to control roaster that uses the minimum of resources.

Check it out. (see breakthrough...)

Stu
psklenar
Thank you Stu. I've been following your threads as well. Which pretty much encouraged me to ask my question - the write ups for this model BM mention a non-stick aluminum pan. Does that automatically mean Teflon? Is it safe to try and do an HG roast in such a pan until I pull together the pieces for the whole package?

Thanks,
pat----
boyntonstu
Sure. About 20 roasts, no problem.

The Teflon has held up well.

Stu
psklenar
awesome. thanks!

pat----
David

psklenar wrote:
Was outbid on the DAK. But scored a Toastmaster 1148X.
Should this be usable as a starting point? Anyone know anything about this model when used for coffee roasting and have any warnings?

I have something similar which has a rectangular loaf pan (instead of square). It should have plenty of torque!
psklenar
Did my first ever roasts this afternoon. Two 1/2# batches of Panama Lot 12686. I've created a new page on my family site at http://www.sklenar.info/coffee.html , has a few pictures. Nothing fancy yet.

The comments about my 1000w heat gun likely being under powered made me nervous ... picked up a 1500w Wagner at Lowes this morning.

I'm afraid the first batch may be underdone ... after 14 minutes, I had heard some cracks, but no "rolling crack" of any sort, but the color was looking about what I expected. The second 1/2 pound definitely had a "rolling 1st crack". I tried to hold the gun closer to the beans, cracking was underway by a bit over 9 minutes and lasted about 2 minutes. Smoked more than the first try too. Removed the heat and started cooling at about 13 minutes when i think started hearing a couple of fainter cracks. I tossed each batch to cool in a mesh strainer until I could handle the beans (although they were still hot). Then I moved them to the large plates in the two photos and placed them on the top shelf of my freezer for a couple of minutes until the beans felt nearly room temperature.

I'm concerned the first batch really is under roasted and am a little worried, although not as much, about the second batch. What will under roasted coffee taste like (i.e.; what should i be looking for)? We'll find out tomorrow I guess ... <fingers crossed>

Batch 1 - 229g green, 186g roasted, 14+ minutes total
Batch 2 - 229g green, 184g roasted, ~13 minutes total

pat----
Jump to Forum: