11/21/2021 1:56 AM
Welcome, pimaCanyon and Chris Porter!

11/18/2021 3:29 AM
locotoro, ionpau and gougege, welcome cup

11/16/2021 12:53 AM
RidgevilleRoaster OH, _lg3, Yirgaman, Houncer and AgressivStreetLamp
welcome !

11/15/2021 9:57 AM
Welcome, jasper_8137, goldyy9 and Evermancg !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 14

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,359
Newest Member: JackedUp

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
induction heater for espresso machines
baysidedweller
I am curious if any member tried building/experimenting with induction heating for espresso machines.
I am aware of the La Fenice and am looking for something different.
Thanks

coffeeroastersclub
WHat are you looking for that is different? The machine you reference (on kickstarter) is quite an advance in espresso water heating tech. Love the looks, it is well thought out in that department for sure.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

ginny
must agree with Len here, what else is around? nothing that I know of and I do not see many mods on espresso machines either.

-ginny
Edited by ginny on 05/14/2014 2:56 PM

baysidedweller
Thanks Len for the quick reply.
What I am looking for is an add-on/home built unit that someone out there has done. It can be an adaptation of using a mini induction stove similar to this one that maybe is gutted out to adapt to the espresso machine - http://www.kohls....ooktop.jsp

Better yet, if someone knows of a mini/micro induction water heater unit that is available for purchase now.
I have done some googling but did not find anything in terms of mini/micro induction water heater.

The La Fenice is still in the developmental stage and I don't know when it will be available.
Since roasters.org is more into tinkering with home built, I thought I would post it here instead of Home-Barista.com or Coffeegeek, which had the feature article about the La fenice by Prince.
Thanks

edit to fix link
Edited by ginny on 05/14/2014 2:56 PM

coffeeroastersclub
The induction hot plate you show is alot different than the setup la fenice is using. Simply put (and it is much more complex I am sure than this): Basically they are using a metal tube with the coiled wire around it; the tube gets hot and supplies the heated water on the fly through the portafilter. Thermocouples and complex electronics are involved to assure steady and correct temp where required; no small feat considering the ability of induction to rapidly heat things to the extreme.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

baysidedweller
Hi Len,
Yes, I am aware of that, maybe they are using something similar to this except at a much lower power -http://www.instru...on-Heater/.
The induction hot plate will work if the ss (not austenitic) tube is coiled around flat on top of the hot plate. It is not entirely not doable, but will be different than the LA Fence.
George
Edited by JackH on 05/14/2014 7:06 PM

coffeeroastersclub
Here is a good schematic of an induction hot plate coil:
http://www.freepa...-large.jpg

Basically a flat spread out coil. Quite a bit different setup than a coiled metal tube which is a far better containment setup for the object being induced. You may want to focus on that type of setup rather than the hot plate coil setup.

Len

coffeeroastersclub

coffeeroastersclub wrote:

Here is a good schematic of an induction hot plate coil:
http://www.freepa...-large.jpg

Basically a flat spread out coil. Quite a bit different setup than a coiled metal tube which is a far better containment setup for the object being induced. You may want to focus on that type of setup rather than the hot plate coil setup.

However I would imagine that a metal tube running the diameter of the hot plate with water flowing through it could get the water hot. Just seems a bit of a cumbersome and excessively large way to accomplish the end result when just a very small coiled metal tube could do the same thing if not better.

Len

baysidedweller
Hi Len,
The tube will actually be coiled continuously from the center to the diameter of the hot plate instead of just one coil around the diameter of the hot plate.
So the induction surface area will be quite large.
Another point is the hot plate's orientation is not fixed, so you can have it face up, down or sideways.
Right now, my machine is PID'd and also has pressure profiling with the Fluid-O-Tech DC motor gear pump.
My next project is to get the water temperature more stable.
George

coffeeroastersclub
Are you going to use a thermocouple to keep the temp correct?

Len

baysidedweller
Yes, for sure, otherwise you are just "poking" in the dark, I will be using a PID with SSR relay to pulse.

Jump to Forum: