You must login to post a message.

10/21/2021 2:41 AM
muckymuck, mckinleyharris and williamjonex welcome cup

10/19/2021 6:22 AM
Welcome tarunk!

10/17/2021 12:40 PM
Ploni and nader fouad, Welcome!

10/15/2021 2:19 AM
merlot85, maycondelpiero and hoeltz, Welcome !

10/14/2021 10:06 AM
Thanks for the addition to the group. Seriously considering building a drum roaster along the lines of oldgrumpus's. Love the design and craftsmanship.

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 19

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,368
Newest Member: williamjonex

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Quest M3 flat burned spot on bean question
seking
Hello, I recently got a Quest M3 after 2+ years using a Behmor. Just starting to play with it using the 'easy roast' method until my probes and digital thermometer arrive. I have a question though - some of the beans have a flat burned out section - see photo. Any advise or comments? Thanks in advance.
seking attached the following image:
img_2493.jpg
ginny
what beans are they, how old are they and HOW did YOU ROAST them...

from what you posted looks like your burnt them up. what do the rest of the beans look like? are they all that way?

a bit more information would be helpful.

ginny

cool
seking
I was just using a espresso roast from SM to practice Beans are 3-4 weeks old. Most beans look good and maybe 3-5% have this burned edge. Not sure how it could happen with a moving drum?
JackH
Some "softer" (lower grown) beans like Brazil or Kona will burn or scorch if the drum is pre-heated at too high a temperature.

Your photo almost looks like a crater or a chunk of the bean popped at first crack. I have seen this happen but in a very small percentage of the roast.
Edited by JackH on 05/15/2014 4:29 PM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
seking
thanks for the reply. If I start with a lower pre-heated drum do you think this can be avoided? Never had this issue with the Behmor but of course that doesn't pre-heat the same way. Thanks again.
JackH
I don't have a drum roaster so I can't tell you for sure. I usually pre-heat to about 350F on my turbo roaster and usually do not see any burn marks.

Maybe someone with Quest experience can answer.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
DANE J

seking wrote:

Hello, I recently got a Quest M3 after 2+ years using a Behmor. Just starting to play with it using the 'easy roast' method until my probes and digital thermometer arrive. I have a question though - some of the beans have a flat burned out section - see photo. Any advise or comments? Thanks in advance.

Hello

I have seen these quite often in my roasting (hot air) - either with heat gun or my WIP fluid bed.

Usually I get these craters from going too far into 2nd crack.

Put it this way, if I stop at the very start of 2nd crack, I will never get these. See this video - Tom from Sweet marias states that these occur during 2nd crack. skip to 3:30 to see exactly what you're talking about

DANE J
And further to above, I don't think this is caused by too much surface heat from the drum, but rather too much energy within the bean, hence the 'explosion'.

see this also - looks like the official name is 'craters'. I had previously looked into this to try and diagnose the same problem - home barista says too much heat from 1st to 2nd crack. So I guess this is true - same idea, too much energy too fast into the bean - if you want a darker roast, go slower into 2nd C. (or stop earlier)

http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/coffee-roasting-defects-pictorial-t13587.html
Bob at the Beach
I have now completed my 130th roast with my Quest M3. I preheat over a 20 minute period to 205 degrees C and then load my beans. My temp is measured with a thermoprobe and fluke thermometer. I dry at about 8amps and fan setting 3 with the bean chute door open. At 152C I shut the door and start ramp to 1C at about 9-9.25 amps and fan of 5. At start of 1C I drop my temp but try to stay at or around 8-8.25 amps. At City to City+ (sometimes Full City), I drop the beans. I do some pretty intense scrutiny of the beans after they are cooled. In some of my 150gram to 200gram batches, I can find a few (but only a few beans) with the crater. It seems to be more prevalent in different beans. I am sorry that with all the info I record, I never thought to record which beans "crater" the most. I will do that in the future.

I used to have a blackened Quest drum, but now it is back to shiny stainless metal. I have however wrapped the Quest Roast Chamber with two wraps if 1/8" thick insulating material. Object was to better retain heat.

I love this roaster and the coffee I am making. I am now back to trying to perfect roasting the smaller Ethioian beans.
Quest M3 Roaster, Technivorm KB741, Clever Dripper, Baratza Virusoso, Nespresso Machine, Chemex 30 oz
Jump to Forum: