Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,788
Newest Member: ediblemanager

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New BM/HG roaster exhaust question....
Cory Nielsen
Hello everyone,, I have a quick question about exhaust for a BM/HG roaster. My brother in law and I recently (today) finished my roaster and the little vent in the top doesn't seem to vent most of the chaff. (yes I cut the plastic bars out)
Most of it seems to be in the bottom of the chamber below the roast chamber.

I seem to remember reading on here about needing to cut an exhaust vent in the bottom of the exterior chamber but I can't find the thread anymore.

My question is this....do I need to cut an exhaust vent into the exterior chamber to vent chaff? And if so how does this effect temps in the chamber?

Thanks in advance!

Cory

Lawnmowerman
Hi Cory. I had best results with a fully sealed lid and exhaust to outside at very lowest possible point. This was to improve performance, however. The chaff mostly remained under the breadpan and I just vacuumed it out after/before each use. My bean cooler took out all remaining chaff. Hope this helps. Ben.
Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.

MerlinWerks
I have a similar setup to Lawnmowerman, sealed lid and a vent near the bottom. Most of the chaff stays in the machine under the roast chamber as LMM pointed out, I consider this a big plus. Just pull out the bucket and vacuum the chaff away. What does exit the vent is a very fine chaff dust, most likely due to the vigorous agitation of the beans, it's not a huge amount and the vac makes quick work of that as well.

As far as a vent's impact on heat I have no actual measured data on that, but I don't have any problems roasting 3/4 -1 lb. with a Harbor Freight heat gun. My vent is 1 1/2" in diameter. From my reading one of the best improvements you can do is insulate the bucket which will allow you to use less raw heat from the gun, lowering the environmental temperature while still getting the beans to roast temps. The general consensus seems to be that being a bit gentler on the beans improves sweetness and the potential quality of the roast overall, that's how it came across to me anyway, as always YMMV...

icantroast

MerlinWerks wrote:From my reading one of the best improvements you can do is insulate the bucket which will allow you to use less raw heat from the gun, lowering the environmental temperature while still getting the beans to roast temps. The general consensus seems to be that being a bit gentler on the beans improves sweetness and the potential quality of the roast overall, that's how it came across to me anyway, as always YMMV...

Any ideas on what insulative material to use?
-Jim

MerlinWerks
I ordered one of THESE from Home Depot. However, they appear to be out of stock at the moment. They are only available from HD online, so don't waste your time going to a store looking for them.

Jump to Forum: