Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

10/19/2021 6:22 AM
Welcome tarunk!

10/17/2021 12:40 PM
Ploni and nader fouad, Welcome!

10/15/2021 2:19 AM
merlot85, maycondelpiero and hoeltz, Welcome !

10/14/2021 10:06 AM
Thanks for the addition to the group. Seriously considering building a drum roaster along the lines of oldgrumpus's. Love the design and craftsmanship.

10/14/2021 4:00 AM
Morning, ar3mia ! and... coffee drink

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 20

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,363
Newest Member: tarunk

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Misbehaving B-2K Hottop
Barrie
I have twice experienced the following sequence with an Artisan-controlled B-2K Hottop, with the rear thermocouple mod.

1. At the end of the roast, I click on DROP.
2. Push Eject on the HT.
3. The HT turns off, POWER showing, with no beans ejected and a hot stationary drum, so that pulling the manual eject knob only drops a fraction of the beans.

Of course, the only solution is to restart the machine and pull the eject knob again, this time with the drum rotating; the beans are ejected a couple of roast stages too late, still hot, and the cooling mechanism is not working.

This is a new circumstance with a setup that has been working fine for about 300 roasts since doing the mods. Does anyone have any ideas as to cause? I suppose there is an outside chance that this is thumbfistedness, and that I pressed Power by mistake. Would that produce this sequence? The more worrying thought is that it could be a control panel issue athough, come to think of it, diminishing motor skills are also somewhat worrying? cross fingers
Edited by Barrie on 05/27/2014 12:16 PM
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).
MaKoMo
Which firmware are you using? Jim updated the TC4 firmware recently to prevent exactly this. Your aArtisan firmware should be at least v3.x. On my older Hottop P I had an issue with starting the fan from 0% using an Artisan slider. From time to time the Hottop completely switched off mid roast as you describes. The v3.0 firmware completely fixed that (and comes with a PID).
JimG
Does this describe your situation, Barrie?

http://www.mlgp-l...otice.html

Jim
Barrie

MaKoMo wrote:

Which firmware are you using? Jim updated the TC4 firmware recently to prevent exactly this. Your aArtisan firmware should be at least v3.x. On my older Hottop P I had an issue with starting the fan from 0% using an Artisan slider. From time to time the Hottop completely switched off mid roast as you describes. The v3.0 firmware completely fixed that (and comes with a PID).

I am pretty sure that I am using v.300 of aArtisan.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
Barrie

JimG wrote:

Does this describe your situation, Barrie?

http://www.mlgp-l...otice.html

Jim

Yes, it describes it well. To complete my graph at the end of the roast, I have the fan and heater settings go to zero when DROP is clicked. On the other hand, I had installed the new firmware and thought that would take care of it? Not that I was one who had the problem up to that point. I am still wondering about the possibility that I pressed Power. as I had never seen this before? I do now have a Variac in the line but the voltage at the end of the roast would be in the range of 120, so I think that is probably irrelevant. It might have been 118-119 for most previous roasts.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
JimG
There are 2 firmwares in play here, just to keep things interesting.

First, there is firmware on the HTC board's ATTiny2313 chip. The updated 2313 firmware (April, 2014) contains new code to enforce a slow ramp to full power at the moment of eject. Although relatively few roasters are affected, on some roasters the inrush current caused by trying to take a stopped fan immediately to 100% can overload the 12V power circuit on the Hottop power board.

Next, there is firmware on the TC4C's ATMega328P chip (i.e. the aArtisan Arduino code). Version 3.00 of this firmware also has code that watches for sudden jumps in fan speed during a roast and enforces a slow ramp. But the TC4C does not have control of the roaster when eject is pressed, so the aArtisan code cannot enforce the soft start at eject.

You can solve fan/eject problem in two ways:

1. Install a new ATTiny2313 chip in the socket on your HTC board, or
2. Make certain the fan is always running at around 20% or more when you press eject.

Jim
Barrie
Thank you, Jim. That is very clear. I think that i will leave all my settings as they are for subsequent roasts and watch carefully which button I press at eject time. If the problem recurs despite a carefully-placed Eject button push, then I will probably put in the new chip. How does that sound, and where would I get the chip?
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
JimG
The new chip comes from me. No charge except for shipping.

In regard to timing the eject button press: just keep the fan running at a minimum level of around 20% if your finger is getting itchy ;-)

Jim
Barrie
Jim,

I forgot to mention another twist in the session involving HT misbehavior. I did two back-to-back roasts and it was at the end of the second that it misbehaved as we have been discussing.
Between the two roasts, there was a different sequence.
1. First roast ends with the beans ejected normally.
2. The cooling process goes through to normal termination.
3. Not thinking about our "other issue" of a plan to diagnose why the fan does not always come on at full stength, I came out of Artisan (necessary to reactivate a text-to-voice program) and restarted it. The USB cable had been connected all the time.
4. After perhaps ten minutes, I restarted the HT. It went into the usual cooling cycle but with the fan not at full strength.
5. I detached the cable and the fan immediately went to full strength. The change was very obvious.
6. When the HT went to the PH stage, with the red power diode lit, I plugged in the USB cable. The diode light went off as one would expect, coming back on when ON was clicked in Artisan. The roast then continued as anticipated, until the Eject/HT off problem.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
smico
You are not alone in this world Barrie...
I had the issue from your first post on my first roast this morning.
Hottop B2 + HTC, Cremina 83, OE Pharos, Brewtus IIIR, Baratza Vario
Jump to Forum: