renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
auto eject
olddogTim
I have a Hottop KN-8828 B-2K, and was wondering if anybody figured out how to disconnect the auto eject when the machine reaches 428* F. cross fingers Could I get an older circuit board or cut some wires etc ? Shock
Getting old STINKS,but it's better than not getting old (Tim)
Equipment Technivorm model KBT-741 , Aero Press, Aillio Bullet R-1 V-2, running RoasTime

ciel-007
A while back, I proposed a modification that is capable of " Cracking the 165F Barrier". The mod works very well on Hottop models KN8828B, KN8828P, KN8828B-2 and KN8828P-2.

http://homeroaste...post_40018

At that time, I also suggested that this mod might possibly assist in " Breaking the 428F Ceiling". Since my Hottop has never reached 428F while roasting, I have not had the occasion to test that hypothesis, and I cannot say if it would work (or not). Further, since I do not own one of the newer B-2K models, I have never had an opportunity to test the above mod on either the "165F Barrier" or the on the "428F Ceiling".

Ciel

PS- The " 428F Ceiling " is there for an important reason - Fire Prevention!
Edited by ciel-007 on 06/06/2014 12:20 PM
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

ginny
I am very curious why you need to go beyond 428 to roast your beans? or finish and cool for that matter.

do you simply like crappy garbage beans, all black and horrid?

or you simply want to tinker and that makes you feel good...

if your roaster is not performing perhaps you need to think about a new roaster and forget the HT period.

I have been using HT's for years and I can roast light or black or in between.

ginny

beach

turtle
The way I get past it is to turn the fan on to 100% when the temp reaches 424 +/- along with raising the rear filter. I don't take it out, I just raise it so that it blocks the top slot but presents no restriction in front of the fan.

I've even noticed that the internal (machine probe) temp actually goes down, even with the burner on 100%.

Great way to make charcoal out of great coffee beans (don't ask).

You can also extend into Vienna if this is what you are after. Just keep an eye on the beans as you can go from Vienna roast all the way to powdery dust very quickly.
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

snwcmpr
The 428? ceiling is a safety built into the roaster.
I would suggest 2 probes added to the roaster, for ET & BT, as described in a lot of posts here on this forum.
The HT probe does not read the actual ET of the roaster, but reads a combination temp of the Beans and the Environment.
When I used a HT, I added the probe (BT) Randy describes, and really disregarded the HT built in temp. I did have plans of adding an ET probe, but didn't.

I have not seen or used the 2K, so this is less applicable than to the 2B I had. I have read that the 2K probe, built in, is better than the 2B probe for reading temp, but, the HT is not designed to read the actual BT.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

smatty1

ginny wrote:

I am very curious why you need to go beyond 428 to roast your beans? or finish and cool for that matter.

do you simply like crappy garbage beans, all black and horrid?

or you simply want to tinker and that makes you feel good...

if your roaster is not performing perhaps you need to think about a new roaster and forget the HT period.

I have been using HT's for years and I can roast light or black or in between.

ginny

beach

The profile I have been using says to set temp to max (435). My machine can get there pretty quick as I have had the auto eject on a few roasts. And I'm talking about 1 min into 1st crack maybe! Is my machine just hotter or faster than most?

snwcmpr
Questions?
Isn't the max for the HT temp 428??
How do you set the max to 435?
What profile are you referring to?

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

olddogTim
Newer 2-K models go up to 435 F
Getting old STINKS,but it's better than not getting old (Tim)
Equipment Technivorm model KBT-741 , Aero Press, Aillio Bullet R-1 V-2, running RoasTime

BarryR
I've never gone past 420 as that's already FC+. I would think that 428 could get you through Vienna easily, so I agree, not sure why you'd go beyond.

My FC roasts are usually 410 or under.
Barry

snwcmpr

Newer 2-K models go up to 435 F

Thanks for the info.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

smatty1

snwcmpr wrote:

Questions?
Isn't the max for the HT temp 428??
How do you set the max to 435?
What profile are you referring to?

Ken in NC

The profile I'm using is:
227 grams of beans
Auto mode. Max time/temp. fan speed 0%
PH and add beans @ 215F
3 mins or so run fan @ 25-50% for 30 secs
325F or so, set fan @ 25% for rest of roast
About 1 min before c1, set heat to 80% and fan to 50%
Heat to 60% near end of c1.
End roast when u see fit. ( I always shoot for FC)

I have been modifying this profile as I learn(I am about 10 roasts in on my HT) and my last roast I had fan on 75% during C1. I have auto ejected several times and it is usually at the time I was gonna end the roast anyway. It still frustrates me.
What am I doing differently that you guys who say 428 is too hot? My beans are always FC.

Jump to Forum: