Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/02/2021 6:47 AM
tahoeguy and sanakashyap220, coffee drink

12/01/2021 12:48 PM
Hey Ren, thanks for checking all the newcomers in!. You beat me to it most of the time but I am checking often. Grin

12/01/2021 6:16 AM
PGS_QLD, welcome !

11/29/2021 9:33 AM
Welcome, Andyc, coffeeswings and chuckster!

11/25/2021 1:17 AM
RJ30, JackedUp and CapnWhidbey, Welcome !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 12

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,369
Newest Member: tahoeguy

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hottop On Its Way
woodchuck
Well I've been a pretty active espresso enthusiast for quite some time. You can find some of my equipment reviews and posts over on HB. I also spend most Friday mornings over at CCC with the local Raleigh and Durham coffee geeks. I finally decided to move down the food chain so to speak and ordered a Hottop this week. Looking forward to yet another coffee adventure.

Cheers

Ian

turtle
Welcome to HomeRoasters.org

I too am new to coffee roasting (just 6 months now).

It is quite nice roasting your own beans.

I am lucky that I have a top shelf specialty roasting house in town that will sell me green. they source some pretty amazing coffee and whoever they get theirs through must really love them as everything I have tried (including their roasted beans before I started roasting myself) were some of the cleanest, most consistent, and best looking beans I have come across.

once you start you will never look back.

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

ciel-007

woodchuck wrote:

... I finally decided to move down the food chain so to speak and ordered a Hottop ...

Ian, welcome to HRO. Most people I know have been moving "up" to a HT. I'm curious about someone moving in the reverse direction. Can you us what you are moving "down" from? lol

Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

Army Coffee
Welcome to HRO!

I have been roasting for several years now. Started with a Popcorn Popper and loved it and decided to move to the Gene Caf?. Recently, after 3-years, my GC started to act up and I had a line on a Used HotTop 8828B in excellent shape. In hindsight, I would have started with the HotTop as I love it and their support and customer service is impeccable. GC has had some issues with part availability and I just found Batch Coffee who has most of the GC parts, and they helped me get mine back operating. So now I have two Roasters...Life is Good!

Welcome to the show!!!
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

North TJ-072 2kg Roaster, Hottop 8828B, Gene Cafe Roaster, Baratza Vario Grinder, Breville SmartGrinder, Behmor Brazen, Cona "D", Bialetti Moka Express, Aero-Press, Quick Mill QM67

Barrie
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

Or: Nil illegitimi carborundum? beach
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

woodchuck

Ian, welcome to HRO. Most people I know have been moving "up" to a HT. I'm curious about someone moving in the reverse direction. Can you us what you are moving "down" from? lol

Ciel

Hi Ciel, I was really looking at from the point of origin. Moving down the food chain from buying roasted coffee to actually making it. A little closer to the source.

Cheers

Ian
Roasters: TJ-067, Hottop with TC4C and RAF Mods
Espresso: LaSpaziale VII/Macap M4 Grinder
Pour over: Bonmac Pro Cone
Press: Bodum

snwcmpr
Moving from buying roasted coffee to roasting coffee is moving UP the food chain around here.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

woodchuck
I hear you Ken, I was just looking at it from a temporal point of view: plant it, grow it, pick it, process it, ship it, roast it, consume it. The start of the food chain being to plant it. By the way what part of NC are you from. I'm on a little hobby farm outside of Creedmoor.

Cheers

Ian

Barrie
May I add my welcome to the HT group, wc. We learn from each other's experiences and look forward to hearing yours. My experience with espresso brewing goes back over about 40 years, and that has permitted all sorts of equipment trials. I thought I knew a bit about it all until I started roasting much more recently, and that has opened up a whole new realm of learning. Quite rapidly, I moved from an SR500 (good results but loads too small), to a GC (good results but could not hear the cracks), to the HT (good results, batch size OK for our needs, and I can hear the cracks very well despite considerable hearing loss). I am very pleased with it, and am confident that you will enjoy yours. Good luck.
Edited by Barrie on 06/20/2014 2:48 PM
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

woodchuck
Hey folks, just a quite thanks for all your warm welcomes. I am definitely excited about getting into roasting. I'm sure there will be a bit of the trough of disillusionment ahead but with your help we'll work through it.

Cheers

Ian

ciel-007

woodchuck wrote:

... I'm sure there will be a bit of the trough of disillusionment ahead but with your help we'll work through it...

Ian, the Hottop is a great home roaster to learn on. It is also capable of delivering exceptional roasts, similar to those produced by high-priced commercial roasters.

One of the most helpful tools for replicating those exceptional roasts is a BMT probe. If, or when, the time comes for you to consider a Hottop modification, installing a BMT probe should be your very first consideration.

Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

woodchuck
Hey Ciel, yep, TC4C already on its way. I'll work with the stock HT for awhile until I get familiar with it. Then make the mod.

Cheers

Ian

ciel-007

woodchuck wrote:

... I'll work with the stock HT for awhile until I get familiar with it. Then make the mod...

Ian, you will very much enjoy using the HT. It is so quiet that you can easily hear the delicate sounds made by the roasting greens.

You will obviously be experimenting with several profiles; may I suggest that you try the following simple profile for espresso? Try reaching the beginning of 1C within 11 minutes, and then prolonging the roast by 4 minutes until you barely begin second crack before ejecting the beans. Once you master this simple profile, feel free to tweak it as needed to suit your palate.

Ciel

Barrie
Ian, you may find this from the SM forum entertaining.

http://www.sweetm...amp;t=4471
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

woodchuck
Ciel thanks for the recipe, I'll definitely give it a try. Also, Barrie, thanks for the SM reference - that helps.

Cheers

Ian

woodchuck
Well roaster arrived yesterday and I took her for a spin. Did a couple of roasts with some older greens just to see how she ran. Just followed the Hottop auto profile. Dumped just as SC started. Roasts are nice and uniform - color wise. The roaster is quiet - easy to hear FC and SC. I really enjoyed the various smells as the roast progressed. Will post more when I start on some better beans. Very exciting!

Cheers

Ian
woodchuck attached the following image:
roaster_16.jpg

ginny
way too much sparkle to work properly...

send it to me for a break in...

-g

rockon

woodchuck

Ian, you will very much enjoy using the HT. It is so quiet that you can easily hear the delicate sounds made by the roasting greens.

You will obviously be experimenting with several profiles; may I suggest that you try the following simple profile for espresso? Try reaching the beginning of 1C within 11 minutes, and then prolonging the roast by 4 minutes until you barely begin second crack before ejecting the beans. Once you master this simple profile, feel free to tweak it as needed to suit your palate.

Ciel

Well have done a few roasts with older beans to get the feel of it. Tried my first batch of Ethiopian Dry Processed from SM yesterday. Hit FC at 11:00 but only three minutes into the start of SC before I dropped them. Will work on slowing down the ramp between FC and SC on the next batch. Tasted the coffee this morning - very fruity - probably needs a bit more acidity for better balance - good body. Lots to learn.

Cheers

Ian

threwitallaway
Hi woodchuck,

Welcome to HT roasting!

I too am relatively new to roasting and to the HT. I agree that the bean temp probe is going to be one of your greatest allies in the roasting process.

I did the bean chute probe mod as put fort by Randy G. in this forum a while back, couldn't have asked for a better way to develop a roast. Do yourself a favor and apply that mod ASAP, you'll be amazed at the difference between the HT probe temp and the bean chute probe.

You should be able to pick up a decent Meter on eBay. Be careful though, I believe if you want to use the Roastlogger program (or similar) in the future, they may only work with a few different brands of meter, not all. I like Omega probes though, very high quality.

You will love roasting on the HT! Have fun and enjoy the process!

-nate

ciel-007

woodchuck wrote:

... Will work on slowing down the ramp between FC and SC on the next batch...

Should you need to increase CFM for cooling you can always lift the fan filter.

Ciel

Jump to Forum: