Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/02/2021 6:47 AM
tahoeguy and sanakashyap220, coffee drink

12/01/2021 12:48 PM
Hey Ren, thanks for checking all the newcomers in!. You beat me to it most of the time but I am checking often. Grin

12/01/2021 6:16 AM
PGS_QLD, welcome !

11/29/2021 9:33 AM
Welcome, Andyc, coffeeswings and chuckster!

11/25/2021 1:17 AM
RJ30, JackedUp and CapnWhidbey, Welcome !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 19

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,369
Newest Member: tahoeguy

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
another question
olddogTim
Can I run Roastlogger and Artisan on the same computer without changing anything after the initial setup of both programs?

Thanks Tim
Getting old STINKS,but it's better than not getting old (Tim)
Equipment Technivorm model KBT-741 , Aero Press, Aillio Bullet R-1 V-2, running RoasTime

Barrie
Each needs the appropriate Arduno sketch installed on the TC4C, which can only have one loaded at a time. The second one that you install overwrites what is already there and renders it inoperative/unavailable/gone etc.
So the simple answer to your question is "no."

Tim, a word to the wise. This should have been added to your previous thread?
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

smico
Actually yes you can, but you have to have two TC4 setups.
I used to do that when Artisan was not able to handle HTC, and I was doing some temperature measurements on three measurement points in HT.
If you have "only" one TC4 you have to load appropriate sketch before loading the program.
Hottop B2 + HTC, Cremina 83, OE Pharos, Brewtus IIIR, Baratza Vario

snwcmpr
So, you could have Roastlogger & Artisan loaded on the computer and load a different sketch onto the TC4 when you want to switch from one to the other.
That doesn't sound too difficult. It would seem the preferences in Roastlogger & Artisan would be saved.
I may try Artisan soon.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

Barrie
Ken, you could certainly do what you suggest, but the swapping of sketches is not exactly the same as starting another program from its *.exe file. It takes care and time. So, it would be something you would only do occasionally. I think most users who were still undecided would get used to one, then install the other's sketch over the first one, and do a number of roasts with that alternative. I have difficulty visualizing anyone wanting to go to and fro on a regular basis, once a preference has been arrived at, and one is accustomed to its nuances. It reminds me of switching between two photo-editing programs and not getting really skilled at either? Grin
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

smico
Barrie,
You got scared because of the problems you had, but infect it's very simple. I have just switched to Roastlogger, and back to Artisan within a minute. Once saved in proper places, it is not difficult to pick - load - upload - start program.

Barrie

smico wrote:

Barrie,
You got scared because of the problems you had, but infect it's very simple. I have just switched to Roastlogger, and back to Artisan within a minute. Once saved in proper places, it is not difficult to pick - load - upload - start program.

I suppose that frequent sketch installation change would create a level of familiarity that would allow for such comfort with switching to and fro, but why do you feel you need to keep making the change?
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

smico
Yap, curiosity killed the...
My point is that this very simple operation. People should not be discouraged to try out Artisan - Roastlogger - Artisan - Roastlogger just because of loading sketch.

snwcmpr
Barrie, I didn't say you should, just that you could. I was reading that into Jim's post.
I may actually try Artisan now because of the posts you have shared. Thank you.

The original question was .....
"Can I run Roastlogger and Artisan on the same computer without changing anything after the initial setup of both programs?"

The only thing to change, if you don't have 2 TC4 units, is the sketch.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

olddogTim
Can I get Roastlogger to show the fan & heat settings on the CHART ? That would help me out seeing how the settings on the fan and heat change the temps and roast?

Thanks Tim
Equipment Technivorm model KBT-741 , Aero Press, Aillio Bullet R-1 V-2, running RoasTime

BenKeith
I've switched several times. I'm using RL because its easier for me to understand. I think I would like aArtisan and have loaded it sevaral times to play try learning it but keep going back to RL to roast with.

olddogTim

BenKeith wrote:

I've switched several times. I'm using RL because its easier for me to understand. I think I would like aArtisan and have loaded it sevaral times to play try learning it but keep going back to RL to roast with.

The thing that stops me from using artisan is the sketch that you have to load, I don't even know what that is or where to put it! thumbdown

smico
You just need to do complete Artisan installation on the same machine. Follow the instructions, like you did for Roastlogger.
After testing out Artisan, you will just need to repeat Roastlogger installation steps related to Arduino sketch upload. Don't worry, sketch will still be there. Steps:
1. Open Arduino IDE
2. Find Roastlogger sketch, load, and upload to Arduino (make sure you see success message)
3. Run Roastlogger
Barrie had some issues with this step (for Arduino, but they are all the same) and I saw nice step by step manual somewhere, but can not find it now... Barrie?

JackH
Step by step procedures for Artisan and Roastlogger are located in the Download section. They cover installing the Arduino IDE and loading the sketch for each.

Artisan: http://forum.home...load_id=23

Roastlogger: http://forum.home...load_id=22

The Arduino IDE will default to the last directory or a default used to load the sketch and I think that is what Barrie had trouble with. He thought the newer version was loading, but the default was to the older version directory.
Edited by JackH on 07/16/2014 8:35 AM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Barrie

JackH wrote:

The Arduino IDE will default to the last directory or a default used to load the sketch and I think that is what Barrie had trouble with. He thought the newer version was loading, but the default was to the older version directory.

You are correct, Jack. I was caught out by the default folder. Careless, but not the first time (and may not be the last. Shock)
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

JackH
That has happened to me too Barrie. The Arduino IDE is nice but seems to be more of an engineering tool.

It would be nice to have a user friendly program that allows you to select sketches from a list and load quickly. Then the process of testing different versions would be easier.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Jump to Forum: