Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

renatoa
04/10/2024 1:09 AM
welcome cup, Ed K

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,208
Newest Member: branchu

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Roasting your own espresso blends
TheBentern
Does anyone here regularly roast their own in house espresso blends?
What ratios of different origins have you had success with?

I've had good luck with a 60% Brazil DP + 40% Sulawesi Toraja. Which I would only consider slightly unconventional (I could be off base here though). I love the results though. Incredible body, molasses crema, and some nice chocolate tones, if a little more one-dimensional than most espresso blends.

Randy G
I went off the Indonesians years ago when the "earthy" taste became more like "dirt" to me. But you are on the right track. There are a number of African origins that are very good in blends similar to the one you are using. Ethiopian, Kenyan, Tanzanian all are nice that way, and even reversing the ration to 60% African, 40% Brazil. The choices and ratios make it an endless quest. Variety is, indeed, the spice of life!

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

TheBentern
I've done some Ethiopians in a blend of (if I recall correctly) 50% Brazil DP 25% Central American 25% Ethiopian. It turned out pretty good. Sometimes it got a little too fruity or spicy for my taste, depending on the Ethiopian or the central I used.

EDIT: Also, I will agree with you on the "dirt" earthy Indonesian beans. I've had some dirty Bali Blue moon and few bad Sumatras. I haven't had a lot of problems with most of the Sulawesi I have purchased though. I've been digging the Bodhi leaf's Sulawesi Kalossie pretty well lately, and it can be had for a song on eBay.
Edited by TheBentern on 07/17/2014 11:01 AM

ciel-007
According to legend, Mocha-Java was the very first successful commercial coffee blend; you might consider starting with that one.

I've been experimenting with espresso blends for a couple of years. I've tried dozens of combinations. My best pulls come a blend that includes beans from Brazil, Columbia, Ethiopia, Indonesia, and Kenya. Such a blend is capable of satisfying the most demanding palate, while offering one impressive finish.

The key to any blend is dialing in the ratios; the above beans are listed in declining proportions, and you will need to experiment.

Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

TheBentern
Wow, that is a diverse blend, Ciel. I bet it's very complex. I guess I need to get a little more avante-garde with my blending. What were you looking for when you arrived at this combination?

ciel-007

TheBentern wrote:

... Wow, that is a diverse blend, Ciel. I bet it's very complex.. What were you looking for when you arrived at this combination?

On a recent rip to Cote d'Azur, I had the privilege of savoring the wines of a world-famous winery - Chateauneuf-du-Pape. The winery is not far from the Pont-du-Gard, and the grapes here date back to Roman times.

The sommelier walked me through the Chateau's various offerings. As we progressed towards the winery's finest C?pages, the sommelier summarized excellence with a single word: "roundness". The best Cuv?es were clearly associated with a wonderful feeling of roundness in the mouth. In other words, a sensation associated with perfect balance... giving the impression that every nouk and cranny of the mouth has been caressed with sumptuous flavors.

The 5 beans I use in my blend are the closest I have come (... so far) to a pull that gives me that wonderful sensation on "roundness" when savored.

Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

smico
Ethiopia must be dry processed Ciel, right?
I blend 2 or 3 coffees most of the time. I might try to add more origins.
Hottop B2 + HTC, Cremina 83, OE Pharos, Brewtus IIIR, Baratza Vario

ciel-007

smico wrote:

Ethiopia must be dry processed... I blend 2 or 3 coffees most of the time. I might try to add more...

Miroslav, the quest for "roundness" in my pulls is an ongoing process. For a while, I too used a blend consisting of 3 beans.

Through experimentation and cupping, I discovered that Kenyan beans added "brightness" to my pulls (stimulating fungiform papillae towards the front of the tongue).

Likewise, through experimentation and cupping, I also discovered that "finish" was stretched and enhanced considerably by adding dry processed Ethiopean beans (stimulating vallate papillae towards the back of the tongue).

Ciel

Jump to Forum: