renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Spoken Alarms
olddogTim
What programs are out there BESIDES Saystatic.exe to use in configuring alarms in Artisan? Something simple like saystatic.exe but that works, without jumping through burning hoops!
Getting old STINKS,but it's better than not getting old (Tim)
Equipment Technivorm model KBT-741 , Aero Press, Aillio Bullet R-1 V-2, running RoasTime

Barrie
There are several pieces of software of this type but I have not been able to locate one that fits your description (have not tried hard as mine works well). Search on Google for "Text to Speech Software."

You might try clicking on this link

https://www.googl...+windows+7

There is a similar question just posted on the Artisan blog.

http://coffeetrou...mment-2484
Edited by Barrie on 08/12/2014 9:07 AM
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

Barrie
There is an old program wv_player.exe that will play a wav file from a cmd line in a bat file without opening the sound program's window. So one could record the material to be played when the bat file is called from an Alarm and then use the whole thing in the same way as using saystatic.exe.

http://wv-player....tonic.com/

I cannot vouch for this program in any way whatsoever, but it might do the trick? Will try it out and report back.
Warning. The download may include three or four probably unwanted pieces of gratuitously-added software that one has to decline in the install process. Pay attention. Shock
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

JackH
I am just wondering why the need for spoken alarms Vs having an alarm simply play a different audio file for each event.

I have RoastLogger set to play a warning sound file (a .wav file) when it is time to load the beans and others can be added for different events

I am not sure if Artisan has this same feature.

I would think a text to speech program running in the background to be a sure recipe for lockups and crashes.

Unless I am missing something and there is a need for a talking coffee roaster Grin
Edited by JackH on 08/14/2014 5:36 AM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

olddogTim

JackH wrote:

I am just wondering why the need for spoken alarms Vs having an alarm simply play a different audio file for each event.

I have RoastLogger set to play a warning sound file (a .wav file) when it is time to load the beans and others can be added for different events

I am not sure if Artisan has this same feature.

I would think a text to speech program running in the background with Artisan to be a sure recipe for lockups and crashes.

Unless I am missing something and there is a need for a talking coffee roaster.

It is the same thing as a .wav file only words not sound.
Equipment Technivorm model KBT-741 , Aero Press, Aillio Bullet R-1 V-2, running RoasTime

Barrie
You are absolutely correct, Jack, but then we who are playing in the Hottop/Artisan sandbox are not focussed on filling a need. Grin
That said, one could just call a recorded wav file, but it would be nice to do it without the default player opening. Haven't tried that yet.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

JackH
RoastLogger does not seem to call the media player, it just plays the file. I can see where that would be an annoyance if it pops up.

The Saystatic program, I believe does an analysis of the text warning and converts it to audio and plays it with a voice synthesizer which is a lot of work.

Maybe there is a way to play files and have media player stay in the background. Or, have it use a different player.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Barrie

JackH wrote:

Maybe there is a way to play files and have media player stay in the background. Or, have it use a different player.

wv_player.exe claims to do that, but I have yet to confirm it. Will probably give it a shot tomorrow, as well as checking what happens when Artisan calls a wav file from an "Alarm."
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

olddogTim
Keep me posted guys sounds good. Now if I only knew what you guys are talking about HA HA!

Barrie

olddogTim wrote:

Now if I only knew what you guys are talking about HA HA!

When I find out I'll let you know, Tim. Grin
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

Barrie
The promise to check back today will have to be postponed as the HT is stripped down to its underwear for its 100 mile Oxyclean servicing. Didn't notice that it was reaching that point again.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

Barrie
Saystatic not working? Here is a substitute for anyone who wants to give it a whirl. It is called wv_player.exe and is downloadable from this site

It is old software and the latest compatible OS listed is Vista. However it works fine on my Windows 7 system.

The download included the executable file plus some simple DIY instructions in an accompanying text file. I have not tried it when called from an alarm but I see no reason why it would not work. I did try it from my desktop and it called *.wav files perfectly, opening a cmd box, playing the wav file and then closing the box, just like when using saystatic. Your default sound player is not invoked! The mode of use is pretty much as with saystatic. I suspect one could just call the wav file from Artisan but then the default sound program would be opened.

1. Download wv_player.exe and put it in the same folder as artisan.exe. In the install process watch out for offers to install additional software and decline them?
2. Record the wav. files with your own microphone, naming them appropriately.
3. Put the wav files in the same folder as wv_player.exe. The text file that comes with the program spells out the bat files format if you want it all somewhere else.
4. Create the relevant bat files with Notepad or Notepad+++. I prefer the latter.
5. The wording in your bat file would be much the same as with saystatic.

e.g wv_player.exe wav_file_name.wav

6. Put the bat files in the same folder as wv_player.
7. Call the bat file from an alarm in Artisan.

If someone uses this, please let us know. As I have saystatic working, I am not going to go through the change at this time.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

olddogTim
How did you get saystatic to work??? The best I could do is to close Artisan and reopen it, doing back to back roasts. I even contacted saystatic's website and let them know the problem but got no response yet.

Barrie wrote:

Saystatic not working? Here is a substitute for anyone who wants to give it a whirl. It is called wv_player.exe and is downloadable from this site

It is old software and the latest compatible OS listed is Vista. However it works fine on my Windows 7 system.

The download included the executable file plus some simple DIY instructions in an accompanying text file. I have not tried it when called from an alarm but I see no reason why it would not work. I did try it from my desktop and it called *.wav files perfectly, opening a cmd box, playing the wav file and then closing the box, just like when using saystatic. Your default sound player is not invoked! The mode of use is pretty much as with saystatic. I suspect one could just call the wav file from Artisan but then the default sound program would be opened.

1. Download wv_player.exe and put it in the same folder as artisan.exe. In the install process watch out for offers to install additional software and decline them?
2. Record the wav. files with your own microphone, naming them appropriately.
3. Put the wav files in the same folder as wv_player.exe. The text file that comes with the program spells out the bat files format if you want it all somewhere else.
4. Create the relevant bat files with Notepad or Notepad+++. I prefer the latter.
5. The wording in your bat file would be much the same as with saystatic.

e.g wv_player.exe wav_file_name.wav

6. Put the bat files in the same folder as wv_player.
7. Call the bat file from an alarm in Artisan.

If someone uses this, please let us know. As I have saystatic working, I am not going to go through the change at this time.

Barrie

olddogTim wrote:

How did you get saystatic to work??? The best I could do is to close Artisan and reopen it, doing back to back roasts. I even contacted saystatic's website and let them know the problem but got no response yet

You and I have been round and round on this, Tim, as have others. For whatever reason I have never had any problem for the first roast and, once I learned about the work-around of exiting Artisan completely, have had no problem with the second of two back-to-back roasts, so that is my routine. I even have saystatic remind me when I click on OFF at the end of the first roast. ThumbsUp
Edited by Barrie on 08/16/2014 11:56 AM
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

olddogTim
OK, I thought you figured out how to get it working without turning it off. My bad.

Barrie wrote:

olddogTim wrote:

How did you get saystatic to work??? The best I could do is to close Artisan and reopen it, doing back to back roasts. I even contacted saystatic's website and let them know the problem but got no response yet

You and I have been round and round on this, Tim, as have others. For whatever reason I have never had any problem for the first roast and, once I learned about the work-around of exiting Artisan completely, have had no problem with the second of two back-to-back roasts, so that is my routine. I even have saystatic remind me when I click on OFF at the end of the first roast. ThumbsUp

Barrie

I even have saystatic remind me when I click on OFF at the end of the first roast. ThumbsUp

I lied, and I doubt that would work after OFF. I have the reminder when I click on DROP.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

Barrie
A disappointment? Just ran two back-to-back roasts using wv_player in the alarms, and it responded just the same as saystatic - fine in the first roast and silent in the second. The only difference was the better quality of the spoken words in the *.wav files as opposed to the sometimes-difficult-to-understand speech in the text-to-speech software.

There is a glimmer of light in knowing that the problem can probably not be laid at the door of saystatic or wv_player and one can look elsewhere. A common feature is that both open a cmd window. Repeat program execution is successful within the first run of Artisan but not the second.

Because of the better spoken word with the wav files, I plan to continue with wv_player and come out of Artisan between roasts, as one has to do with saystatic. If anyone has any thoughts or, better, a solution please post to this thread.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

Barrie
There is hope around the corner, and this is just to say that saystatic is going to remain the preferred text-to-speech software for this application. Anyone experimenting with wv_player and wav files out of frustration can rest a while.
Marko Luther and I have been playing with this and it looks as though he has identified the second-roast problem. More to follow, no doubt.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

olddogTim
GREAT Grin

Barrie wrote:

There is hope around the corner, and this is just to say that saystatic is going to remain the preferred text-to-speech software for this application. Anyone experimenting with wv_player and wav files out of frustration can rest a while.
Marko Luther and I have been playing with this and it looks as though he has identified the second-roast problem. More to follow, no doubt.

olddogTim
Barrie any headway yet with saystatic?

Barrie
No. The situation is that Marko has a rebuild of Artisan that takes care of the failure to call programs in the second of two back-to-back roasts, at least in the case of a bat file using saystatic. As a developer of freeware who is doing this in his spare time, while attending to his daytime job and to his family, he constantly has a list of items to be fixed or added. Any time he releases an update there is always a resulting slew of comments which he then needs to consider, possibly thereby adding to his "to do" list. In that setting, he has to decide from time to time whether he has made enough changes to merit publishing an update. He is pondering just such a decision at the moment. He will obviously let us know. Meantime we Artisan users continue to owe him an enormous debt of gratitude. He suggests on the blog that those who wish to contribute can do so by giving a gift to the Coffee Kids charity.
http://www.coffee...
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

MaKoMo
Thanks for the kind words and your ongoing support Barrie. As the next official release seems to delay itself further I added a folder "prereleases" to the Artisan GoogleDrive and added a build for MacOS and Windows of the current snapshot. Please note that those are completely unsupported but might fix the Spoken Alarms issue discussed in this thread. The Windows build is the one that worked for Barrie.

olddogTim
So Barrie how does saystatic work now with the new release? Do you think I could install it, knowing my computer ah expertise, HAHAHAHAHAHARoflmao

Barrie

olddogTim wrote:

So Barrie how does saystatic work now with the new release? Do you think I could install it, knowing my computer ah expertise, HAHAHAHAHAHARoflmao

Given your HAHA, I would say you should give it a shot. Then you will find out the answer. Grin. It is working fine on my own computer, including today.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

rgrosz78
I'm very conservative, so I wait patiently for the next release of Artisan.

Thinking of renaming my laptop to "Old Cranky". I did four roasts today, and SayStatic did not work a SINGLE time. I have 4-6 calls in each profile that I ran. And I shut down and restart WinDoze between roasts.

A complicating factor is that my laptop has VERY low volume. I plug an external speaker into the headphone jack, and it worked pretty well last month. But today, it kept flaking out, and telling me the device had been removed. thumbdown
Life is too short to drink bad wine ... or bad coffee!

Jump to Forum: