Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Roasting Book by Scott Rao
allenb
I'm in the middle of reading the new coffee roasting book by Scott Rao called The Coffee Roaster's Companion. I'll have to say that this is the first book on coffee roasting that I've read that truly covers the how's and why's of roasting that will benefit new-comers to coffee roasting as well as seasoned roasting professionals. Scott covers a broad range within coffee roasting and after you've read a chapter, you don't find yourself scratching your head wondering if you really learned anything practical that you can put to use which is the feeling I had when reading all the others books. I especially like his coverage of what's happening during first crack with a thorough description of what's happening between bean and roaster that causes the odd behavior we typically see in the rate of rise curve.

This book is a keeper!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Barrie
It is interesting to read your comment, Allen. There is currently a thread on the HB forum in which everyone is not as kind. I had posted a question arising from one of the author's assertions, but there have been no comments.

http://forum.home...post_52028

Two HB threads

http://www.home-b...31636.html
http://www.home-b...30830.html
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

allenb
I've seen those threads as well. In all fairness, I think a lot of folks have been quick to judge before really chewing on all the information as a whole, in context. I also think some of the criticisms have been made due to holding long held beliefs that are without merit and run counter to some of Scott's treatment of the subject.

Any book on this subject will necessarily contain some theories and assumptions that run counter to ours and there will never be one that everyone is in agreement with. But, I think most who read this book will come away with a lot of good, useful information that they haven't seen before and even if some of the material may run counter to our understanding, it will still be miles ahead of the competition.

Here's a link:

http://www.scottr...

Allen
Edited by allenb on 08/18/2014 9:14 AM
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

JackH
I just ordered the book and look forward to reading it. There are not too many books out there on roasting.

As far as reviews or comments, I'll wait untill I read it.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Omega
Sounds interesting. A book like this can't achieve the sales numbers to print it less expensively, thus the $45 price tag. Considering how much we spend on beans and equipment, that price could be a bargain, if it results in better roasting technique.

snwcmpr
If this is the first, best, maybe there will be other books, by other authors, to follow.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

Barrie
OK. I'm convinced. :-). The book is on its way.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

ciel-007

Barrie wrote:

... There is currently a thread on the HB forum in which everyone is not as kind...

Scott Rao has written a timely book on a subject that may possibly be charged with more passion than caffeine.

Evidence of those emotions was revealed not merely by the volume of replies to the H-B thread about his book, but especially by the fact that the owner of H-B elected to temporarily freeze further posts, thus allowing for a cooling down period.

I'm not sure how the author may be taking all of this. The last I heard about Scott was a couple of years ago. At that time he was in Canada, and the Caf? Myriade (Montreal) which he owns was drawing adulation for the quality of it pulls.

Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

farmroast
being the first modern book on roasting it will be batted around a bit at the start. It's has a nice selection of the general things around roasting plus his approach to profiling that I find sound.
It's been a bit nerve racking for Scott. But I think most will find it well worth a read and useful.
note:I'm a friend but not involved with the book
Ed B.
DreamRoast 1kg roaster, Levers, Hand Mills http://coffee-roa...gspot.com/

Barrie
My copy arrived today, just two or three days from ordering. Having read more than half of it already, and not intending to do any sort of serious review (which would be very presumptous given my relative inexperience) here are a few comments.
1. Very pleasingly put together, perhaps a bit "over-the-top." The glossy paper, beautiful photography on the hard cover, and copious figures have all contributed to a pretty steep price. As it will just sit on the bookshelf for most of its life, a paperback cover for its 79 pages of text would have sufficed?
2. The writing style is very readable, if given to occasional hyperbole.
3. Most important, the information is considerable and while it is understandable that not all of it will be acceptable to some experienced roasters, it is well referenced, the facts are separated from opinions, and it very interesting. The author is to be congratulated on providing a very informative little volume for this amateur, now into his third (and hopefully last) roaster, and I am sure many others will share this opinion.
4. After this break, I plan to finish reading it this afternoon. Scott has caught my attention. ThumbsUp
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

Jump to Forum: