Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,176
Newest Member: Adrian

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New Smoker Grill Roaster
homeroaster
I've used a grill roaster for the past 13 years, and although my old faithful roaster still worked flawlessly, I had the desire to upgrade to a roaster that used a smoker grill body that routed most of the smoke up through a 3" vent in the top of the body. Using a Char Broil wood smoker and retrofitting it with propane, a powerful gearmotor and reusing my faithful home-made perforated stainless steel drum, the project is now finished. The pictures are below and the first two 8 pound roasts are very nice.
Specifics:
Drum is made from a Frontgate waste can and can handle a 10 pound load.
The gearmotor os a 59RPM Japanese motor purchased 10 years ago from surpluscenter.com
The burner is an off the shelf stainless H shaped Brinkman from Home Depot.
The propane regulator is a low pressure taken from a propane grill.
The gas valves are also from an old BBQ grill and retrofitted to turn the wood smoker into a propane fueled roaster.
homeroaster attached the following images:
first_roast_2.jpg gearmotor_and_switch.jpg new_roaster_burner.jpg burner_brinkman.jpg drum_inside_shot.jpg drum_outside_shot.jpg new_roaster_1.jpg

Ed Needham
"to absurdity and beyond!"
http://www.homero...
http://www.facebo...EdNeedham1
Omega
That's very impressive!

An 8 pound capacity sounds like an incomprehensibly huge amount of coffee, as least for me, since I'm roasting 4 or 5 ounces at a time at this point!

Barry
allenb
I don't think I've seen a grill/smoker converted to roasting as you've done with this rig. Great work! I'll bet you get more than another 13 years out of this one. BTW, I think you need to tweak your air/fuel ratio. BBQ grill

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
homeroaster
I tweaked and tweaked and that was the best I could get. I would love to see the yellow go away. I'm hoping it might be from debris and oils on the new burner and will go away. Good call on your part!
Ed Needham
"to absurdity and beyond!"
http://www.homero...
http://www.facebo...EdNeedham1
sdanderson21
Where did you get the materials for your drum? It appears your ends are stainless steel bowls, but did you get the sheet metal from a commercial store? Are you able to view your roast during the process to see where the beans are at during the roasting process?
Jump to Forum: