Newest Member: Frisky turkey

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Cracking 165F Barrier with B-2K
BarryR

turtle wrote:

Barrie wrote:
That is what I just described? Four minutes with my setup.

Yes, and I do this also.

I probably will do the mod for my B-2K when I get around to it. An add'l use is in case you eject the beans accidentally or too early, which I've done a few times.

With the mod, you could just reset, dump the beans back in, and keep going.

Anyway, without the mod, if I'm in a rush, I remove the front cover (using a hot mitt) and that seems to greatly speed up the process (though it's a little difficult to put back on as the gold screw stays pretty hot.
Barry
IntrepidQ3
Thank you okmed. I might try to do something similar. First things first is to get the HT to turn on first.

Is there a way to trouble shoot the circuit board? Or is it safe to say it's toast and needs to be replaced?

I am with you Barry. I have accidentally hit the eject instead of the 'next' button. I have not done this since I started using roaster logger as my controls though.
turtle

IntrepidQ3 wrote:

Thank you okmed. I might try to do something similar. First things first is to get the HT to turn on first.

Is there a way to trouble shoot the circuit board? Or is it safe to say it's toast and needs to be replaced?

Randy has videos on troubleshooting various electronic/electric areas of the roaster.

They are the last ones on the list of videos

http://www.hottop...nter8.html

If none of those get you where you need to go, you may need to ask them directly

IntrepidQ3 wrote:

I am with you Barry. I have accidentally hit the eject instead of the 'next' button. I have not done this since I started using roaster logger as my controls though.

I've painted my eject button area RED which helps me stay away from it now.

I wish it came this well marked from the company (Yo Randy... can you pass this along to stop owners from defacing their hottops?). I'd buy another control panel face plate if it had the eject well marked in RED....

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/Hottop/mods/RED-eject_zps12fad79c.jpg
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia
IntrepidQ3
Thank you, I have dabbled in a few of the videos, but nothing related to 'Trouble shooting the main board after you made it spark and smoke' hahaha.

I just have that gut feeling it's fried. I just don't want to buy a new one becuase its not cheap, but I will if needed.
IntrepidQ3
I now have switched out the main control board. The HT is now up and running.

I continued with the hooking up the N.O. button. I am observing something that is not what I am expecting.

When I push the button, the temp does not zero out. Rather it decreases by 100F. The only thing I can think of that would cause this would be, when I press the button the TC read the temp near the control panel...

Not a total failure I suppose... It still saves me for waiting for 100F decrease, but still would like to be able to press the button when its at around 300F and drop in a new batch.

Any suggestions is much appreciated.
JimG
When you short the input terminals for a thermocouple, the instrument will report ambient temperature. This should be the case for any Hottop K-type control board.

How high is the indicated temperature when you close your NO switch? I might be concerned if it is above 150F.

Jim
IntrepidQ3
The night I threw everything together (a few days ago) and gave it go, it would show 250F pressing the button when the drum was at 350F.

I just gave it another go after reading your post (last night). This time the highest it read was 98F. Not sure what change since I put it together... I mean it has not moved one inch since I put the panels back on...

Besides for this oddity, I would say project was a success.
Jump to Forum: