Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

10/15/2021 2:19 AM
merlot85, maycondelpiero and hoeltz, Welcome !

10/14/2021 10:06 AM
Thanks for the addition to the group. Seriously considering building a drum roaster along the lines of oldgrumpus's. Love the design and craftsmanship.

10/14/2021 4:00 AM
Morning, ar3mia ! and... coffee drink

10/12/2021 11:55 AM
Evan Slack and CupOfJoe, Welcome !

10/07/2021 3:24 AM
Larry140, Roastiva and fkrauthan, Welcome !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 14

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,360
Newest Member: maycondelpiero

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Bean Cooler ala Walmart
Coffeenut
My first cooler was a small fan that could be tilted vertically where I could set a metal collander on top. It worked OK, but not great. It required a fair amount of stirring and the chaff (like smoke from a campfire) always found a way all over me.

I'd read about people using those 5gal plastic buckets with a shop vac or portable and the reports were always good. So I went to Walmart on a hunt and found the stuff for my cooler.

The bucket is a 3gal paint pail over in the paint dept. What interested me about this particular bucket was it's smaller size and that it had one flat side. I wanted to minimize the bucket space the vacuum had to manage and that flat side was attractive for mounting a piece of plastic pipe. So, bucket in hand I moved over to the cooking utensils area and found a SS collander that dropped perfectly into the pail's top.

I had to go to Lowes for some other stuff and decided to visit their plumbing dept for the pipe and fittings to connect it to the pail. Met up with a knowledgable employee and told him what I was doing. He suggested using some pipe and fittings from the undersink area since it would be easier to find threaded couplings for the plastic pipe of the size I needed to fit to the vaccum's hose. The pipe's thread wasn't designed to allow the plastic nut to pull up to the thin wall of my bucket, so he suggested using a rubber grommet that worked just right.

I used some duct tape to seal around the edges of where the collander set into the pail because there were some very slight air gaps in a couple places. The collander had plenty of holes, but I wanted to focus more air flow right in the bottom of it and slightly enlarge the existing holes to allow chaff to easily pass (but not beans). I used a 3/16" drill bit to add more holes and to widen the existing holes in just the collander bottom. I have a small portable 5gal vaccum that easily mates to the plastic exhaust pipe in the pail.

Results are fantastic and exceeded my expectations. I typically do a 1.5 pound roast and the beans are cool within 1 minute. This method works so much better than my previous method and I'm chaff-free with the vacuum taking care of that for me.

Rick
Coffeenut attached the following image:
Cooler-1[185].jpg
Coffeenut
Another pic...
Cooler-3[186].jpg
Coffeenut
Holes added to bottom of collander.
Cooler-2[187].jpg
Coffeenut
Closup of the outlet pipe and connection.
Cooler-4[188].jpg
Jump to Forum: