You must login to post a message.

10/21/2021 2:41 AM
muckymuck, mckinleyharris and williamjonex welcome cup

10/19/2021 6:22 AM
Welcome tarunk!

10/17/2021 12:40 PM
Ploni and nader fouad, Welcome!

10/15/2021 2:19 AM
merlot85, maycondelpiero and hoeltz, Welcome !

10/14/2021 10:06 AM
Thanks for the addition to the group. Seriously considering building a drum roaster along the lines of oldgrumpus's. Love the design and craftsmanship.

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 19

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,368
Newest Member: williamjonex

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Black painted drum for the newer thin walled drum?
noelh
Improved heat transfer from elements to drum? How much in the newer thin walled drum? Anyone with real numbers? MET probe reading relative to ET readings at specific time intervals. Really interested in ithe bottom out temp after a specific "charge" temperature and the if any shorter time required to reach the "browning" phase.

Will probably paint the drum if there is a significant improvement in heat transfer. Any recommendations for specific black paint. Manufacture and upc # would be appreciated. Have some remnant flat black wood burning stove and BBQ grill paint sitting around. Would like to use a paint that does not emit any smell or vapors during roasting.
Operatore>Macina>Acqua>Miscela>Macchina
edtbjon
I use a Huky 500, which suffers from the same "semi-shiny" stainless drum surface. Even though the Huky runs on gas and other differences, this problem is the same.
I did choose to burn veg. oil on the surface, after sanding the drum with some 100 grit sandpaper. That took me the best part of say two hours, but I don't have to worry about any possible vapours in the future. (That's me...) Even though I'm in the beginning of learning the Huky, but there's a very noticable (read: "quite big") difference compared to the first roasts. The roster is much more responsive to any changes made to the burner. I don't go as high with the gas as I did before. (For the record, I use the standard IR burner with a low pressure regulator (30mBar, standard in Sweden). The capacity of this heater have been questioned by many, but I never need to go higher than say 80-90% during any phase of the roast, even with a full 500g load.)
From your point of view, painting the drum could make the drum able to handle it's stated capacity (250g ?) without pushing it to 100% heat (and thus having no more throttle to give if the roast seem to stall).
noelh
Good to hear at least on the Huky 500 the difference is significant. Does the Huky have a thick, heavy drum. The thin walled M3 drum is on the light side. Not much thermal mass. Given the limits of an electric roaster designed to function on a max of 120V/20A (2400watts), the thin wall design is probably works better vs. a heavier thick drum. Perforated drum may even be a better design. Lacking thermal mass blacken drum surface may be more beneficial for the light weight M3 drum.

Thanks for the scuff & vegetable oil suggestion. Prefer to avoid petroleum based chemicals.
Operatore>Macina>Acqua>Miscela>Macchina
edtbjon
Long weekend... I'd say the drum has 2 - 2.5mm thickness. I first tried with a heat gun, but nothing happened... :( Also, I didn't have the drum motor on except for moving the drum 1/4 turn every 5 minutes or so. The surface is now dark brown, but not uniform (as seen in some youtube flicks about spray painting the quest drum).
Jump to Forum: