renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Rebuild of San Franciscan 1 IB roaster
turtle
I found a 30a 240v Dayton relay. Would this be appropriate for the main burner on/off control relay?

http://www.graing...elay-1EJH4

Specs look acceptable based on what I will be pulling for the burners.

I am so limited with space.

If you know of any other 30A 240V relay that is smaller I am open to all suggestions.

I don't have room for a manual on/off 240v master switch inside the electric enclosure unless I add another box somewhere and the way the roaster is mounted on the wooden base there is little space available without moving the roaster and re-drilling the base. I'd like to keep the roaster looking as original as I can considering it is a rare bird
Edited by turtle on 02/09/2015 11:25 PM
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

turtle

okmed wrote:

A 2 pole contactor is what you should really be using.

http://www.schnei...contactors/

Space is a consideration.

I was told the SSDs and controller should do what I am after and they barely fit within the area where the original controls were located. I "should" be able to run the burners up and down through their heat range (750-1000?F each). The factory stated beat range of the burners is base on a heat gun tube with a flow of air across the burners but free air and the fan on the roaster pulling through the roasting chamber I should be close to this output range.

This should be very close to the heat output of the same size (1 lb) gas roaster if I can get it all working.
Edited by ginny on 02/10/2015 8:08 AM

okmed

turtle wrote:

I am having issues with the relay. I get feed to both the 240V legs with the switch on or off so either it is wired wrong or the relay is not working.

I am not all that up on how an electric relay works so if someone wants to fill me in here is the current wiring. The 2 120V feeds and both legs of the 240V feed should shut on and off with the front panel switch.

Taking the relay out and checking continuity

Pins 8 and 6 are connected and pins 1 and 3 are connected (give a beep on my Fluke 77 III meter)

Pins 7 and 2 read minimal resistance (0.934 ohms)

all others read open (OL).

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/electric/relay2_zpssdsyntq4.jpg

I was just trying to answer your question about the relay. It's difficult to follow when looking at bits and pieces of wiring sketches. Yes your SSD and controller should do what you're after.
RAF-1 Extreme (modified B-2K) Hottop with HTC+TC4C, HG-One grinder, Bezzera Strega.

turtle

okmed wrote:

turtle wrote:

I am having issues with the relay.

I was just trying to answer your question about the relay. It's difficult to follow when looking at bits and pieces of wiring sketches. Yes your SSD and controller should do what you're after.

There are so many issues it is hard for me to compartment them. Sorry about that. I am trying to put the separate issues in separate posts. I took the fan and drum motor out of the last sketch as they are not part of the relay wiring. Power is passed directly to those via the terminal block and a jump. They seem to work fine so no point cluttering up things (did a drawing with them in but wowzers even I had trouble following it)

Maybe I should break this into separate threads and get away from this one as it has grown a bit too much to follow.

I am still not sure that these are the proper burners/heaters. I may need to go smaller. Now I just want to get it up and running so that I can test it. THEN I can START modifying it Grin I have 2 thermocouples I want to put in and have some form of local temp read out. NOW THAT will be a separate thread for sure

To the question of the relay....

Will the 30amp Dayton relay I found at Granger work for the purpose of getting power to the burner controls when the power switch is thrown?

http://www.graing...elay-1EJH4

30A is pretty close to the max draw of 29 amps (14.5 x 2 at full output).

Should I use a relay with a larger amperage capacity?

Or as you have suggest a contactor instead of a relay?

What are the pros/cons to using each type?

zeece

Now I just want to get it up and running so that I can test it. THEN I can START modifying it
That is wise!

Will the 30amp Dayton relay I found at Granger work for the purpose of getting power to the burner controls when the power switch is thrown?
Yes. You need to switch only the line side connection to the heaters. Since it is a double pole relay, one relay can switch the lines for both heaters. The contact rating is 30A and each contact will be carrying half that so your have plenty of margin.

The difference between the contactor and this relay is the size of the contacts and the more massive and durable construction of the contactor. For your application there is no problem with using the relay. The advantage of the relay here is clearly its size. If you were controlling a big inductive motor we might have to use the contactor, but for a resistive load like the heaters you are fine.

ira
P/N 5Z546 on the Grainger site should also be fine if you can hide it somewhere.
Or one of these on eBAy:

http://r.ebay.com...

Ira
Edited by JackH on 02/10/2015 2:49 PM
I wrote RoasterThing
www.www.roasterthing.com

okmed
I may still be confused (a normal state for me) but why do you need the contactor to break power to the heaters when you have the solid state relays (SSR)? You can dial down the controller to 0% which would turn the SSR's off. If you want to interrupt power to the heaters without changing the control setting you could use a simple toggle switch in series with the wire going to terminal A1 on the SSR.
RAF-1 Extreme (modified B-2K) Hottop with HTC+TC4C, HG-One grinder, Bezzera Strega.

turtle

okmed wrote:

I may still be confused (a normal state for me) but why do you need the contactor to break power to the heaters when you have the solid state relays (SSR)? You can dial down the controller to 0% which would turn the SSR's off. If you want to interrupt power to the heaters without changing the control setting you could use a simple toggle switch in series with the wire going to terminal A1 on the SSR.

I want a basic on/off switch that cuts power to the entire roaster at the flip of a switch.

That way when I plug it in I am not instantly passing current somewhere inside the roaster.

I could put in a master 240v on/off but they are rather large. If the Dayton relay will fit within the electric control box which is only 8" tall by 6" wide by 4" deep (and there is a back plate which makes it only 3.5" deep) then I will have my master on/off via the relay instead of plug in and instantly energized/powered up.

The SSR controller is infinitely variable with push on/off so there is a secondary way to turn the burners off while still running the drum motor and cyclone fan.

I've had to go to an external box to hold the burner/SSR controller but I found a place where it can be mounted with minimal impact to the rest of the roaster.

There is not a lot of room on the board the roaster is mounted on. I've tried to come up with inventive ways to make more space for the electrics. Larger control box, nope, 8x6x4 is as big as it gets without relocating the roaster on the board or un-mounting and remounting the roaster onto something else.

It is pretty compact and all available real estate is taken up by something.

I need to have room to mount a dual read temperature monitor. Either my Amprobe TMD-56 or a dual read PID or the TC4C+LCD I have from the hottop. I am hoping to incorporate the TC4C + LCD into this thing somewhere so need to keep an open mind on where these later improvements/modifications will sit.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/Hottop/tc4c_zps73cf0d56.jpg
Edited by turtle on 02/10/2015 9:54 PM

okmed
Here's a link to a 2 pole Rotary Cam Switch to use as your master switch that is only 1.9" deep.

http://www.graing...d=IDPRRZ11

If you want a 3 pole switch so that you can switch the neutral wire too, it's 2.55" deep.

http://www.graing...d=IDPRRZ11
Edited by JackH on 03/12/2015 5:55 PM

okmed
How's the project going Mick?

turtle
Strange you should ask.

Today got several holes punched in the control boxes to allow for the wires to move easily between all of the locations holding the components.

Fabricated a connector for the largest group of wire and will epoxy it in place tomorrow..

I'm still "thinking" the probes and meter parts but will more than likely put plugs on the wires and use the amprobe for a while until I decide where to put what.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/holesPunch1_zpsyhahq7af.jpg

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/holesPunch2_zpsbxvci4j4.jpg

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/holesPunch3_zpskjetnoqr.jpg

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/holesPunch4_zpslb0bn2lg.jpg

ciel-007
Mick, here's a video showing a wonderful gas fired San Franciscan at work.
Does it look familiar? At the helm is the highly respected Willem Boot;
next to him is The Judge (Andrew Barnett).

Enjoy!

Ciel

Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

turtle
The restoration is progressing. A little each day.

I now have the cord and plug on. The relay connected. The fan and drum motor are hooked up. The emergency push to shut down burner switch and pilot light are mounted. More progress today than in a while.

80 amp heat sink for the SSDs is off to a machine shop to have about 1" removed so that it fits better as is the front plate of the roaster to get a 7/16 hole and 1/4" npt threading for the thermocouple.... Tried to do it free hand but the plate is too thick so need a drill press :(

Once the SSD heat sink gets cut down the last bit of wiring can be finished and I can see if this newer "idea" will fly or not.

No 250vac box on the house yet to plug it in but...

As Scarlett said... "Tomorrow is another day"

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/electric/3-18-2015_wiring_zpsbpooxssz.jpg

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/electric/3-18-2015_wiring2_zpsawwwtkwk.jpg

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/electric/3-18-2015_wiring4_zpsr7invdlw.jpg

turtle
Done.......

Tomorrow I put in the breaker, circuit, and outlet and see if it works.....

If everything works as I expect it to work I will enclose the roasting chamber with the brass cover and insulation and fire it up for it's first roast in 20 years.

PICS:

Main electrical box:

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/3-21-2015_done3_zpstu4eonuj.jpg

SSR encosure:

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/3-21-2015_done4_zpsldfwt8ui.jpg

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/3-21-2015_done5_zpsxqwzfg8d.jpg

Buttoned up and ready to test:

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/3-21-2015_done2_zpshdvyf1iz.jpg

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/3-21-2015_done6_zpsapsf0aaf.jpg
Edited by turtle on 03/21/2015 5:40 PM

snwcmpr
Very impressive!!

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

turtle
Everything tested out and worked well until one of the SSRs decided to go rogue on me (failed).

This did show me a flaw in my wiring as I could not shut the burner down without pulling the main power which is NOT what I need. SO moved some wiring around to rectify this (emergency shut off now is between main power and the primary burner relay instead of between the SSR controller and mains.

Another SSR is on order so in limbo for a few more days

Couple pics of the test and roaster (without a cover over the drum until I finalize how the electrics will work)

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/electric/firstTest_zps6zgw2dzf.jpg

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/electric/rogueBurner_zpsngeungs2.jpg

turtle
Pictures are worth a thousand word but I have to add a few words to finalize the project :)

SSR arrived and everything tests out as expected. UP and DOWN the heat scale QUICKLY and easily from just warm to full tilt boogie. These heat elements are very fast and very responsive to changes so it should be nice.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/3-28-2015_fire_zpsikbeaze5.jpg

Doing crude measurements on both burners, they seem to be within a few degrees of identical which is nice

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/3-28-2015_fire-2_zpsrnc0jjge.jpg

I decided to keep the dial gauge on the ET and only hook up the probe for BT readings. I recalibrated the dial gauge and it is rather accurate but not as fast/responsive as a thermocouple is. I don't think the ET will move that fast and the dial gauge looks too cool to take it off but I do have a probe when the time to automate further arises.

I will use the roaster in the manual working configuration for a while before I move to modifications. This was much more of a project than I thought it would be but after a couple of redesigns and parts switch outs I believe that I have a nice electric 1 lb roaster BUT only the roast will tell.

Not supposed to get over freezing outside today and I have most of the last pound I roasted to burn through before I can fire it up for real so here are the finished shots of the roasting cart/system. Will come back one more time after the first roast with it in a few days.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/3-28-2015_gtg-3_zpsti6zoctt.jpg

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/3-28-2015_gtg-2_zpsjulsgcbw.jpg

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/3-28-2015_gtg-4_zpsxrm9ezla.jpg

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/3-28-2015_gtg-1_zpsdzoih8w2.jpg

allenb
Hey Mick,

You've got an excellent roaster on your hands now and I think you'll find it to be worth the effort to bring it back to life.

Some things are worth the work and expense to restore!
allenb attached the following image:
images_1_1.jpg

1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

turtle
Could not wait any longer so I shoved the roaster outside and after firing up the air compressor and blowing out all of the crud from the restoration I roasted a half pound for the first go round

Started off cold by firing up the drum and fan without the burners and dumping in a half lb to see if the BT probe was covered. YES it was (good guess on the placement). Added another quarter to see 3/4 then the rest for a full lb.

Looks like I can roast anything from half pound to the full pound the roaster is rated for as the BT probe gets good coverage.

Dumped the beans and weighed out a half lb for the first roast.

WOW...

This thing has some serious heat output. Roast was much shorter than I expected even with the burners never going over 80%. Half pound might be a little light for it until I get the hang of running the heat output.

Pre-headed the roaster to 250? with the burners set @ 80%. It took about 6 minutes to go from stone cold to 250? @ 80% burner output. Dropped in a 1/2 lb load of Tanzanian peaberry. The dial gauge and thermocouple were spot on together until the roaster started getting over 200? then they separated temps which should be normal as they are in different locations.

Drop time to lowest temp: 1 minute (exactly) drop to 170? which is right on with the Hottop. but that is where the similarities stopped dead.

Dry started (smell and yellowing) around 250? @ 3:14 into the roast which is about 40 seconds shorter than the hottop Dropped the burners to 50%

Dry stopped around 338? @ 5:46 into the roast which is way shorter than the hottop which averages 8-9 minutes to end of dry at this temp. Ran burners up to 80% again to ramp up to first crack

First crack started @ 357? and only 6:23 into the roast (hottop is 10-11 minutes into the roast)

I dropped the beans when they hit 390? BT with an ET reading of 400? which was 7 minutes 23 seconds.

7 minutes 23 seconds seems a little short to me.

Roaster is still outside 2 hours later and still HOT AS blazes. This thing retains some serious heat once it gets hot.

Not sure I will do a second roast. I think I'll drop back and punt and try to figure out my heat output settings to get a 9-10 minute roast time before firing it up again.

When roasting with the hottop I keep the heat to max through the entire roast until I get into first crack when I back it down to extend the actual roasting time.

The SF ran between 80% then down to 50% @ first crack but it still had too much burner.

I need a better bean cooler. Takes too long for the roaster to cool the beans as it does not have a bean stirer to move them around. Goodie, something new to build :)

Eye candy follows

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/roasts/3-30-2015_tanz1_zpsh25fp2wl.jpg

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/roasts/3-30-2015_SF-1_zpsfhdd19og.jpg

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/roasts/3-30-2015_SF-2_zpsv3e9ingh.jpg

Looks like it will be a nice "American/light" roast

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/roasts/3-30-2015_tanz2_zpscwzoxamd.jpg
Edited by turtle on 03/30/2015 3:15 PM

ciel-007
Mick, I'm very happy to hear that "IT WORKS"!

CONGRATULATIONS on your fine restoration work, and for the great documentation that you kindly provided in these wonderful posts.

Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

turtle
Brewed a pot of the Tanzanian beans this morning. Tomorrow will be the teller after they have rested thoroughly but I can say that I have no issues with the roast even though it seemed to go a little faster than what I expected. Even the wife remarked that this morning's coffee was "really nice". I did not tell her it was the new beans as she likes them better after 3-4 days resting. Getting a good feeling about this roaster.

I may need to roast another half lb today. Colombian so that I can compare them to what I have left from my last roast a few days ago on the hottop (same beans). This might be the only way to see if there really is a difference in taste between the hottop and the SF

The beans really get tossed around in that drum and there is a fair amount of "air" around them when they tumble, unlike the hottop that keeps the beans "stuck" to the drum.

I do see one problem though.......

I gotta feeling that I will be roasting TOO MUCH coffee as this roaster really wants to work i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/misc/smiley/coffee_drinking_smileys_zps3870bb64.gif

turtle
The Tanz has rested and today it is unbelievable. I will have to say that I did not think I would taste this big of a difference between roasters but I do, either that or this roast is a fluke. It was a little short (time wise) so I was not expecting much. If this is the worst roast I can't wait to get this puppy dialed in to start getting GOOD roasts i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/misc/smiley/coffee-drink-smiley_zpsb487335a.gif

turtle
second run with the rebuilt San Franciscan SF-1

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/4-4-2015_roast_zpssddu6qku.jpg

First roast was Mexican Honey processed EL Huizache

Preheated to 250 and dropped.

Temp drop to 136? @ 1 min 15 seconds

start of dry @ 186? / 3:30

Return to drop temp (250) @ 5 min (even)

End of dry 335? @ 8 min 51 sec

First crack 370? @ 10:40

Dumped beans @ 400? / 11 min 34 sec

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/roasts/4-4-2015_mex_zpss4bjgkld.jpg

Let the roaster temp drop below 250? then fired burners again

Temp drop to 138? @ 1 min 13 seconds

start of dry @ 184? / 3:20

Return to drop temp (250) @ 5 min 30 seconds

End of dry 331? @ 8 min 50 sec

First crack 376? @ 10:40

Dumped beans @ 495? / 11 min 22 sec

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/roasts/4-4-2015_brazil_zpsqploftqd.jpg

Almost identical roast times

turtle

turtle wrote:

Dumped beans @ 495? / 11 min 22 sec

Silly computers

395? doh

turtle
These were 1 pound roasts.

Maybe I should think things through before posting them i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/misc/smiley/thinking_zpspmesebkp.gif

Jump to Forum: