Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Bobby M15's drum
BobbyS
Thanks !!

allenb
Very nice indeed! Looking forward to seeing a video showing beans tumbling out into the cooling tray.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

BobbyS

allenb wrote:

Very nice indeed! Looking forward to seeing a video showing beans tumbling out into the cooling tray.

Thanks Allen!

Do we post a video the same as a photo? I wasn't sure if we could post videos.

allenb
Here you go

VIDEO'S:

You tube videos in my post:

Find the URL for the YouTube video you wish to embed. Find the ID of that video (whatever is after the v= in the URL. Let's say the ID is vr3x_RRJdd4 (which is the ID of a video for the Free Hugs Campaign)
Then you would enter the following into your post to embed the video:
PHP Code:

Please note that some browsers (Android) do not support Flash player and the video will not be seen with the [youtube] tag. Use the [video] tag instead with the full address of the video:
[video]http://www.youtube.comvr3x_RRJdd4[/video]
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

BobbyS
Thank you sir!

BobbyS
I found out the hard way (as usual) not to wear flip flops when roasting. A hot bean flew out of the drum when I dumped and landed in between two of my toes.

400+F bean is really hot......Shock

NewBean
OMG lol same thing happen to us the other day but not that hot ! LOL safety shoes required Roflmao

BobbyS wrote:

I found out the hard way (as usual) not to wear flip flops when roasting. A hot bean flew out of the drum when I dumped and landed in between two of my toes.

BobbyS

NewBean wrote:

OMG lol same thing happen to us the other day but not that hot ! LOL safety shoes required Roflmao

BobbyS wrote:

or any type of shoe..............lol

NEcoffeesnob
This is an amazing build and I'm extremely jealous!

I don't know if you're still monitoring this thread or not, but I looked through this entire thread and wasn't able to find your budget and final cost for manufacturing this roaster.

Do you have those numbers and if so, would you mind sharing?

Thank you!
Tim

BobbyS

NEcoffeesnob wrote:

This is an amazing build and I'm extremely jealous!

I don't know if you're still monitoring this thread or not, but I looked through this entire thread and wasn't able to find your budget and final cost for manufacturing this roaster.

Do you have those numbers and if so, would you mind sharing?

Thank you!
Tim

Yes, I am here. I have no numbers on the cost as it was getting a part here and another there. I CAN tell you it cost me about $ 550.00 out of my pocket when I cut the end off of part of my right thumb lol.

kwrcst
Bobby, where did you get the stock pot for the cooling tray?

BobbyS
It was from an online restaurant supply in which the name escapes me. Most things escape me about 2 min. after I know it, or think I know it! lol

renatoa
Looks like a SS ice bucket... or similar.
If 5 liters, that can cool up to 1 kg of roast, is good for you. then I suggest the 5 qt ikea 30152346 steamer insert.
Check this video to see it in action with one pound of roasts.

https://youtu.be/...

BobbyS
I probably got it off of eBay. It is 30 quart aluminum, 6mm thick wall and bottom.

BobbyS
I built my roaster as a 2k roaster. I finally charged it with 2k of Taz and it worked just like it should. So now I am a happy camper!

BBQ grill

Edit: I waited until I had a couple hundred pounds of roasting under my belt and I am glad I did. Learned a lot in the early roasts, but if you do your homework and kind of develop good guessing skillz to stay just a little bit ahead of the game it makes it easier lol.
Edited by BobbyS on 03/30/2020 10:56 PM

JackH
You have been working on this for quite a while. I am glad it worked out for you.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

BobbyS
Thanks Jack!

Yeah now it is easy-peasy. When it is summer here it is too hot and winter too cold to roast outside, so, I cut two holes with a large hole saw in my garage door to exhaust outside. When I am done I have covers I put over the holes. This is working out great since I have heat and AC in my garage.

My wife keeps track and we are near our 100th roast! woohoo

BobbyS
Made it to 100 roasts! Whoooo-hooo

pouring

mtbizzle

BobbyS wrote:

Made it to 100 roasts! Whoooo-hooo

pouring

Amazing. What an achievement, building your own drum roaster (that works!).

I CAN tell you it cost me about $ 550.00 out of my pocket when I cut the end off of part of my right thumb lol.

Guess you really put yourself into this project ... (bad humor, sorry!)

What a story. You would have me as a customer!
Roast: Kaldi wide, SR800 + projects
Grind: Lab sweet, Bentwood, giota w/ MP burrs, Commandante
Pull: Decent, La Pavoni, Elektra Microcasa a Leva, Faemina anno 60, Kim Express

goat4hooves
Congrats on doing a 100 roasts. That is awesome! On top of that you are able to enjoy a really good drink.

Keep up the good work.

BobbyS
Thanks G4H. Welcome to the insanity! Yeah it is a lot of fun. Getting ready right now to roast some more beans.

Today I am roasting some Guatemala and Tanzanian

BobbyS
and some Zambia

Jump to Forum: