Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

02/27/2021 9:50 AM
Questions are best asked in the forum. The posts will last longer, and will be seen the most by members. After a few more posts in the Shoutbox, the post you made will no longer be seen.... maybe you could also introduce yourself and share a little.

02/27/2021 9:29 AM
I'm looking to hire someone to teach/help me to find the best roast profile for the 3 types of coffee that grow on my farm in nicaragua. I live in LA, but but could go anywhere in so cal with my Behmor for a roasting lesson. Please contact me if you're in

02/17/2021 7:20 PM
When your wife thinks 30 grams for a 6 cup setting is strong, you learn to drink muddy water when you are making coffee for both of you.

02/17/2021 8:32 AM
I use a rule of thumb of 60 grams per liter. 8 cups (1 liter, 32 oz) = 60 grams, 6 cups (3/4 liter, 24 oz) = 45 grams. 10 cups = 75 grams 12 cups = 90 grams

02/17/2021 1:47 AM
OldMan41, depends what is "a pot"... usually is more accurate to specify the brew ratio, instead grams of coffee. The most usual is 1:15, thus 40 grams for 600 ml of water. If the 100 grams are for one liter pot, then we are talking about 1:10 ratio.

Users Online
Guests Online: 8

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,040
Newest Member: Thelsegse
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Need suggestions for Irish Coffee Blend
dondford
I am a newbie coffee roaster; my wife and I enjoy an occasional Irish Coffee. Can someone please suggest a good blend/roast level that would make a great Irish Coffee?

Thanks,
Don
turtle
ANY coffee with some Tullamore D.E.W. mixed in works for me

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/drink/P1090078_zpsymagy5yx.jpg
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia
dondford
Exactly the same Irish Whiskey I use in mine (the bottle on the left, IMHO, the 12 year old is sipping whiskey, 3 fingers, neat)

D
coffeeroastersclub
Here is the best blend that I've had: Get a 12 oz mug. Fill 7/8 of it with Baileys Irish Cream. Top off with your favorite coffee.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln
beanut
This isn't Irish coffee, but some sailor jerry's and a splash of amaretto or frangelico in a night time coffee is a dammm good dessert.

...And also a great way to use up beans that didn't come out just right. (which is still happens, darn it!)
GrinExpobar brewtus IV, MK K30 vario, Gene Cafe
JETROASTER
I'd go just past City and throw in some of this (if you can still find it)
John L Sullivan. If your local store still has it....buy all of it! nice whiskey.
Cheers! -Scott
JETROASTER attached the following image:
john_l_sullivan_irish_whiskey_1163745.jpg
boar_d_laze
I don't think the identity of the Irish whiskey matters a great deal for an Irish Coffee... as long as it's Irish.

Irish Coffee was created at the bar in the Shannon Airport, and was brought to the US by Stanton Delaplane in 1952. Delaplane used to drink at the Buena Vista and he and the owner spent a few boozy evenings trying unsuccessfully to recreate it.

Eventually the owner flew to Ireland himself, figured it out, and the Buena Vista introduced Irish Coffee to the US. The BV uses Tullamore Dew.

The correct sequence is cubed sugar; strong coffee; Irish whiskey;and unsweetened lightly whipped cream. Anything else is something else.

Important to note that:
1. The sugar should be placed on the bottom of the glass and completely dissolved before the coffee is added; and
2. The cream should be very lightly whipped and floated on top of the drink as a collar. A spritz of sweetened, canned whipped cream isn't the done thing.

Authenticity aside, I don't suppose you could do much harm by using granulated sugar or simple syrup.

A nice variation on the classic recipe is to substitute a splash of orange liqueur like Drambuie, Grand Marnier or Orange Curacao.

Another nice touch is a splash of vanilla added to the cream before whipping. We make our own extract by soaking vanilla beans in rum, and it does a helluva job in an Irish Coffee.

Rich
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood
boar_d_laze
Oops.

Coffee before cubed sugar is the BV way. But... y'know.

And the orange liqueur replaces (or partly replaces) the sugar, NOT the whiskey.

My bona fides on this is are my youth in the Bay Area as a grad student, actor, cook and bouncer. In other words, a lot of time in bars.
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood
Jump to Forum: