Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

03/04/2021 9:04 PM
I have been trying Scott Rao Hario V60 pourover this week. 1:17 and blooming with 2 parts water the first 45 seconds then splitting the rest into 2 pours. A little stirring is included. We like it.

03/04/2021 11:35 AM
My brew ratio is 1:17 (exactly 59.5 g/L). That's roughly 8.5g per 5-oz cup.

02/27/2021 9:29 AM
I'm looking to hire someone to teach/help me to find the best roast profile for the 3 types of coffee that grow on my farm in nicaragua. I live in LA, but but could go anywhere in so cal with my Behmor for a roasting lesson. Please contact me if you're in

02/17/2021 7:20 PM
When your wife thinks 30 grams for a 6 cup setting is strong, you learn to drink muddy water when you are making coffee for both of you.

02/17/2021 8:32 AM
I use a rule of thumb of 60 grams per liter. 8 cups (1 liter, 32 oz) = 60 grams, 6 cups (3/4 liter, 24 oz) = 45 grams. 10 cups = 75 grams 12 cups = 90 grams

Users Online
Guests Online: 16

Members Online: 1
Will2

Total Members: 7,044
Newest Member: Jimmy_Zulu
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Captains Roaster
Captain Dunsil
trunct.com/images/gallery/HairDryerRoaster.jpg

Desiring a hotter roaster with higher fan speed, this is my latest harebrained (pun intended) idea, also a culmination of prototypes. This is my hairdryer roaster. I got to thinking about 1800 watt hairdryers. If a 1440 watt popcorn popper can roast coffee, surely an 1800 watt hairdryer could. So I went on a quest and found the perfect one at you know where. Actually there were three of them brand new and I paid $6.99 apiece. This is the Conair Infiniti Pro which boasts 1875 watts of power. I had a very exciting surprise when I opened the case on the first one. It sports an AC 120 volt motor! Most hairdryers are your standard little 20 volt DC motor similar to the poppers. The AC motor requires no transformer and can be controlled directly with the standard light dimmer.
To make a long story short, I ended up mounting it in a cocktail shaker. A kitchen sink drain (Home Depot) served very well to attach the (louver type) roasting chamber from a popper. The heat/roasting chamber screws off of the heater for cleaning.
This roaster has exceeded my expectations. There's plenty of wind to agitate the beans and lots of heat. It's easy to regulate the heat by the amount of air applied and I get nice even roasts. I can roast up to a cup at a time, maybe more. There's enough airflow to blow the beans all the way out of the roasting chamber so I'm working on a method to catch the beans in a container rather than dumping them.
I've roasted probably sixty or seventy pounds in this roaster without issues.

trunct.com/images/gallery/HDBody-Chamber.jpgtrunct.com/images/gallery/HDRoasterBottom.jpg
Captain Dunsil
trunct.com/images/gallery/RoastStation.jpg

Here's a view of my roasting station. I mounted a duct T with a duct fan through the wall to exhaust smoke and chafe. I mounted a plate at a 45 angle inside the duct just in front of the fan to create more of an updraft to suck out the roasting byproducts. The output of the exhaust is covered by a cap when not in use. I replace the cap with a chafe catcher when I'm roasting. The top of the roaster chimney is of smaller diameter than the duct and extends inside the duct by only about an inch. An occasional bit of chafe finds it's way back onto the counter, but more so the divots from second crack. They're easy to clean up though.
The biggest issue with this arrangement occurs if I forget to dump the chafe and replace the cap. If the wind blows the slightest bit all the chafe bill blow back in and onto my workbench. Then I DO have a mess to clean up.

trunct.com/images/gallery/ChafeCatcher.jpg
Jump to Forum: