Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,721
Newest Member: jeco8843

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Heatgun element blowout?
AdamC2650
Hi all, I've been doing a lot of lurking in order to begin work on a 1lb drum roaster, but now have parts in the mail!

My heatgun element is rated at a max temp of 500C, and to maximize control and efficiency, I would like to mount it at the bottom of my roaster inside a copper pipe that is also the main air intake. My theory is that if all air is forced to travel through the full length of the element before entering the drum, efficiency should be maximized.

My worry is that in an enclosed space I might be at risk of element blowout if I don't pull enough airflow during any part of the roast. If I am running the element on a dimmer, is this a design decision that I should reconsider?

I can provide drawings if the concept is not entirely clear.

JETROASTER
Hi Adam,
I don't believe a drum roaster will have enough airflow to keep that element in a safe range. Those elements really need to have that heat stripped away. I would dig back through some of these threads to find a more suitable option. I'm sure some of the drum folks will show up soon. Cheers, Scott

http://forum.home...rum_id=137

turtle
I picked up an old SF-1 electric that used two 1750 watt (1000 degree F) heating elements.

So far this has worked well.

here is a link to the restore (and issues I ran into).

http://forum.home...ad_id=4336

All seems to be working fine for me. No issues with air flow but I may have gone "too much" burner as I am having difficulty slowing down the roast at the end.

Another URL regarding my control issues:

http://forum.home...;pid=55481

I'll be doing another roast later today with a smaller bean load to see if the control issue can be improved
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

AdamC2650
Hey Turtle,

I'm a big fan of what you've done with the roaster ? I've based most of my design off of the pictures in that exact thread. I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up with something that looks very similar to the SF-1.

I'm getting lost in all the information about the SSR and controlling your two elements. Does your setup power the elements in waves (1sec on 1sec off, etc) or is it simply a precise regulator on the power to them?

I'm interested to see if you can scale down the size of your roasts!
------------------------------------------

- All hail the mighty bean -

turtle
The SSRs are run by an Auber beer brewing Wort Boil controller that sends a pulsed signal to the SSRs which turns them on and off rapidly based on the setting on the controller.

http://www.auberi...cts_id=444

I can't "see" the burners turning on and off but the led on the SSRs flash when the power setting is dropped down from 100%

This seems to be working out very well.

Just did a 400 gram roast today and I was able to finesse a very nice 13 minute city roast of some Chiapas

AdamC2650
Thank's for the link, Turtle!

I'm currently trying to find something I can source out here in Germany, since shipping from the US is so high. I'm thinking of a standard SSR that I can route my dimmer into.

Just to clarify though, is the use of an SSR to extend the life of the element, or as a necessary component to keep it from blowing?
------------------------------------------

- All hail the mighty bean -

turtle

AdamC2650 wrote:

Thank's for the link, Turtle!

I'm currently trying to find something I can source out here in Germany, since shipping from the US is so high. I'm thinking of a standard SSR that I can route my dimmer into.

Just to clarify though, is the use of an SSR to extend the life of the element, or as a necessary component to keep it from blowing?

The SSR controls the burners. Send it a variable pulsed low voltage/current from the control unit (PID or infinitely variable rheostat variable like I did) and it switches the higher current/amperage that is connected to the element in proportion to what the controller is asking for.

The electric burners/elements are either ON or OFF. the controller and SSR pulse the burners so that they are not always either 100% or 0% (on or off). By pulsing the burners you can get 25% 50% or any % output from 0 to 100%.

www.yokogawa.com/ns/img/onepoint/ns-onepoint-utadv14-4.png

Jump to Forum: