Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,176
Newest Member: Adrian

View Thread

Who is here? 2 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Now Hottop Roaster Model "KN-8828B-2K+"
Randy G
We have just "officially" announced the introduction of a new Hottop model.
I have been using it for about three or four days and from what I see so far, they have done a great job. I, of course, have to torture test anything my hands touch, so I roasted a 300 gram batch and got it to a rolling 2nd in about 14 minutes before I manually ejected well before time ran out and before target temperature was achieved. Go to the Hottop USA homepage and click on the photo of the new model to see a page of details.
Prices yet to be announced.

DISCLAIMER: I work for Hottop.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.
ginny
Hi Randy:

they say there will be an upgrade for this from the latest model to this new unit.

does that mean the control panel with USB?

ginny

cool
Randy G
Yes it does, Ginny! There will be an entire kit available soon which includes everything you need to convert (roasters, not religions). Two of the new design thermocouples, a side cover to house the new control panel, the control panel, a new heating element, and a new roast chamber rear wall (I hope I got it all in there).

To wet your whistle, so to speak, I am testing the first production unit into the US. Just did a 260 gram batch. I dropped in at 2:00 past the "add beans" signal and completed a Full City roast (about 10-15 into second, just a few dabs of oil showing) in... get this... 11:15 roast time!. I did a 300 gram batch a couple of days ago to the start of second in 14:05, and while we do not recommend roasting that much, I did it to test the new system's capability.

DISCLAIMER: I work for Hottop

turtle
This looks very interesting.

Is the new roaster using the same heating element as the previous models?
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia
ginny
no it has a new heating element...

-g
Omega
This is a roaster that I would recommend to friends that aren't up to the challenge of building their own.

Barry
rgrosz78

Randy G wrote:

Yes it does, Ginny! There will be an entire kit available soon which includes everything you need to convert (roasters, not religions). Two of the new design thermocouples, a side cover to house the new control panel, the control panel, a new heating element, and a new roast chamber rear wall (I hope I got it all in there).

All I can say is - WOW. This is amazing news. Thank you, Hottop!!

If this was available two years ago, it would have made my life MUCH easier. Sadly, I am not much of a hacker. I thought my ET / BT probes would never work properly.
Life is too short to drink bad wine ... or bad coffee!
Randy G
I am trying to not be to hyperbole filled, but I have owned every model of Hottop from the beginning, and in terms of capacity and control the KN-8828B-2K+ really is a tremendous advancement. I actually got a full city of 325 grams today in just under 16 minutes and have not found a limit yet. I did drop at 345 ET so do not know how much further it can go without scorching or underdeveloped tastes, but I never would have even tried this with any previous model. I would not recommend roasting more than about 280g. or so for the best taste, but the fact that it is capable of doing this is quite exciting.

DISCLAIMER: I work for Hottop (I AM Hottop USA Customer service) so please consider that when reading my comments. But I do not make any money on sales. All FWIW.

ginny
I know it has a NEW heat element, I was answering the post above mine.

ginny
turtle
Randy, Are you allowed to post photos of the new model?

would be nice to see them if you can...

I'd like to see a pic inside of the new heating element and the probes if this is possible

JackH
There is a write up on the HotTop site here with photos:

http://www.hottop.../news.html
Edited by JackH on 05/05/2015 9:07 AM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
Randy G
The probes are much like the old ones. A little narrower of a tube, They mount using two screws into threaded holes in the rear wall of the chamber. The screws go through a flange on the thermocouple, one screw on each side. The thermocouple is installed from inside the rear compartment of the machine.

The heating element is exactly like the old ones (mounting, spacing, length, etc.), just a little more wattage.

turtle
Which probe is the one that is used for the over heat and cool down safety function?

AND......

Has the safety bean eject and cool down temps been changed or are they still the same?

AND.....

will there be a specifications page posted once it becomes readily available?

AND......

Are there plans for a "P" model or will that type control panel be phased out?

AND.....

Photos?

Randy G
http://www.hottop...kitB+.html

The illustrated upgrade procedure has been posted so you can get some ideas about the machine from that.

The BT probe is the one that is monitored. I hit a displayed 471 ET on one roast. I was able to roast 360 grams to a full city in 14 minutes. Developed slower than I would recommend to anyone, certainly, but there seems to be no problem with amount of time nor power from this thing.
Safety points remain.
Specifications and prices will be posted there when available.
If there are any plans concerning the "P" I do not know about them.
Cool down remains, but it seems faster because it begins its recovery from a higher temperature than before.
All subject to change, of course, but after roasting over 5.5 pounds this week, I am very pleased so far. Did a nice French roast (dark brown and oily) which I used for Turkish and was very nice. Tried it as espresso and it was drinkable there as well.
Edited by ginny on 05/04/2015 5:27 PM

Randy G
Prices will be posted (tomorrow I think) and the kits are not here yet. Be patient, Grasshopper. ;-)
When the items are available they will be in the Online Hottop Store. Probably around two weeks I think, but that's just a guess.

turtle
Looking at the pics of the upgrade packages it appears that the mods I have already made (front stirrer and fan, rear fan, and the momentary disconnect of the probe to restart at a higher temp can stay) but I will need to cut up the new connection cable for the new control panel to the main board.

I know you are not suppose to encourage others to "modify" but do you "think" that the new parts will still allow these to stay on my roaster?

I do like the fact that I can keep the bean tray stirring and blowing after the timed shut down cycle and keep the rear fan running after the cool down cycle ends.

Are the front fan and stirrer and rear fan controllable separately on the control panel after the shut down cycle ends or do they still shut down after the cool down cycle ends and stay off?

I am sure that there is not a high temp safety over ride for faster 2nd and subsequent roasts.

OR

Has the "no restart until below xxx degrees" been addressed internally with the new control panel?

Randy G
I did find that the back to back roast started sooner since the machine begins reheating at a higher temperature than it use to. I have a note I made- says that when the machine is cooling it turns the fans off and the heat on at 163. Temp continues to drop a bit from there then recovers. I think it use to go to a much lower temperature. The 120's or something? I almost never did back to back roasts so I can't remember.

Since I am "employed" by Hottop in this regard, I cannot comment on modifications.

turtle
Are you using a "retail unit" or did you "convert" your existing?

On my "B" model..... I left the button sensor and added 2 k-type probes. The button is for the high/over temp shut down and low temp restart (which I can over ride with the "momentary disconnect button"). I have NEVER tried to over ride the high temp emergency bean eject as I feel this is a safety feature that even the most experienced users should NOT mess with

My unit is a standard 8828B which I updated to a dash 2 with a new roasting chamber back plate and the manual bean dump "bits". I opted to retain the "button"probe and the original stock B control panel as the additional K type probes were basically "external" to the roaster controls (only monitors and pass through to external boards and controls)

I have been (caps on this) VERY satisfied with my 8825B-2 after putting an HTC board inside the unit and installing 3 panel mount k type probes (the third probe is inside the electronics compartment to monitor actual ambient heat on the electronics). The other 2 probes are ET and BT inside the roasting chamber.

I am very interested in getting my hottop back to a machine where all of the"bits" are internal and I think this latest offering is the ticket ThumbsUp

ginny
Mick:

I seriously doubt that your old equipment will be of too much value on the newest Hot Top.

with a USB and software why do you want the stuff you have? is is necessary?

ginny

but of course you can mod all you want...

beach
ginny

Are you using a "retail unit" or did you "convert" your existing?

Randy has already said he is using the NEW Hot Top...

-g

woohoo
Jump to Forum: