Print Thread
Now Hottop Roaster Model "KN-8828B-2K+"
Randy G

ginny wrote:

Randy:

your mention of 2K and 2 K+

it is which or both?

Just the B-2K+ - No other Hottop has factory USB. I need to type better... BBQ grill
I passed first crack a LONG time ago!

Hottop will not be commenting on the use of any third party software. We just supply the connection. If there are any software developers out there who are interested in writing an application they can contact me through Hottop.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

Arch
I wonder how the release of this apparently excellent B-2K+ will affect development of the legendary upcoming 1 lb. roaster version?

ginny
Randy may have some idea, but I think that is simply a vapor roaster...

way too much talk, too many new upstarts coming with great stuff as well.

ginny

limb

turtle
I see that the + model is still not available as a full roaster.

Any updates on when it can be purchased and a retail price on that new model?
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

Arch
The HottopdUSA site says:
"Available late June 2015 (sorry, no pre-orders). Priced at $1600.00"

Randy G
They are literally on the ship and well on the way to the USA. We expect that we will have them in early July. Many factors (like weather and Customs) to deal with.

turtle
Rather than start a new thread on one question I will ask in this thread as it is about the upgrade as well as the retail released model.

From the web site images of the upgrade and from the install instructions I noticed that there is no longer a center probe on the back chamber panel (and I assume the old type center probe has also removed from the retail model).

which belies the question..........

Which probe (ET or BT) is the one that controls the safety temp over rides (max temp dump and cool down restart)?

And can you say what these temps are on the + model (kit and retail)?
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

Randy G
The rear wall shown in the photos is exactly like the new roaster will have. Two, newly-designed, K-probes. The upper one for ET and the lower for BT (obviously).

Randy G
I have just posted an article on the Hottop USA website which details using spoken alarms to guide you though a profile. It includes links to download all files necessary to emulate the roast I did. the article is link in the "USB" area on the website, but the direct link to the page is:
http://www.hottopusa.com/SayStatic.html

Arch
Thanks Randy!
But for those of us who are Mac users and therefore don't use *.exe files, are there Mac substitutes?

Randy G
I do not know how well (or not) these might work or help, but try these:
https://itunes.ap...8962?mt=12
http://www.conven...hostreader
http://www.natura...wnload.php
http://osxdaily.c...to-speech/
http://www.wikiho...in-Mac-OSx
http://mac.appsto...c-talking/

MaKoMo
On OS X voice output is build in. You need a script (a text file) eg with the following two lines

#!/bin/sh
say "Hello" &

Save this as test.sh and do a

# chmod +x test.sh

in Terminal.app to make it executable. You can test the script also using the Terminal via

# ./test.sh

Sadly, calling it from Artisan.app (Artisan expect it to be located net to its executable) does not work in the actual version due to a change in a libs behavior. I'll fix this in v0.9.5.

Arch
Randy, I just ordered my KN8828b-2K+. But I have a question. On your page about adding voice commands you wrote

"Artisan is currently the only known application that can communicate with the 2K+. But even though it cannot control the roaster, there are functions within Artisan that can make it a lot easier to get the roast profile you want."

Yet on the hottop site, you (and Artisan on theirs) seem to imply that the latest Artisan can program buttons to control fan and heat. What's up?

Arch

Randy G
Arch,
At the time that was true. The current version of Artisan can be configured to control the Hottop with the sliders on the screen or with alarms that can be created to adjust parameters based on numerous factors (temperature, time, etc.).

Arch
Wow, Randy! Thanks.

Arch
Randy, in your SayStatic post above, you recommend charging the beans at 320 ET. Previously, on other pages, you have recommended charge temps variously from 215 to 275. Is your new 320 based on something about the new KN-8828B-2K+, or something else?
~Arch

billsey
I would think that optimal charge temperature is going to depend on bean mass and how long it takes for that heat to move into the beans. If there were no more heat added after charge, actual bean temp would start at ambient air temp and rise to meet the gradually falling environmental temp. What you want is liable to be enough heat added after charge for the ET to remain fairly constant at something over your anticipated drop temperature, but not so much over that the dBT is still steep at drop.

Bhante

snwcmpr wrote: The setting knobs are the infinite rotation style control and the speed at which you turn them controls the rate of change of the parameter.

These "infinite rotation style" knobs sound like just the ticket for the next stage of modification of my TC4 / automisation of my Hottop, to facilitate the combination of pre-programmed profiles with on-the-fly changes. This should be a quadrature rotary encodee, as far as I can see. There seem to be many different types available, can anyone give me a few tips as to types to look for and types to avoid? I'll be buying directly at an electronics market, so I need to know what type to ask for. Are there rotary encoders available that have a built-in i2c interface? I am short of I/Os, so otherwise I'll have to put the (3) rotary encoders on a port extender.

Bhante

snwcmpr

snwcmpr wrote: The setting knobs are the infinite rotation style control and the speed at which you turn them controls the rate of change of the parameter.

To clarify, I did not write this, I copied it from the website.
Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

Bhante

snwcmpr wrote: To clarify, I did not write this, I copied it from the website.
Ken in NC

To clarify, I was not so much interested in the particular knobs on this particular model as the principle of a particular type of knob which entails a different user interface, and which seems well suited to my purpose. Maybe there are some electronics experts on the site who could give me some useful tips.

Bhante

Steveo
My first post here. I first bought HT-B thru SweetMarias in 2009 ($730 - which I thought was too much money).

This summer my HT heater coil broke and when I saw the new 2k+ I decided to gift myself and I couldn't be happier except for the cost ($623).

The upgrade took a few hours and there's a couple of places where the pictures were a little different.

I never thought I'd use a computer for roasting as I prefer a simple approach but Artisan is so helpful. I especially like the the deltaT and projection calculations. I roast a lot of different beans and those computations are indispensable.

The rotary knobs are a huge improvement.

I wish the software was OS X native (written in python) but I can live with it.

This is the upgrade I've been waiting and though it's steep, I feel good that HotTop has a long history of providing support and parts.

I signed up on the forum because I'm now looking for how I can predict a roast behavior by knowing the destiny, moisture content, etc. Artisan doesn't do this but it's good at logging all the information so I can compare a previous roast but like the weather, something's always different to change the equation.

TheoBro
Steveo, Sounds like you're satisfied enough with the HT to stay with it and upgrade. I'm giving it serious consideration in moving up from a modified air popper. How are the roasts since the upgrade?

Steveo
The operator control over the roast is phenomenal.

I don't think anyone would be disappointed with the HotTop.

A beginning operator can let it do a generic curve to get a decent roast every time. But if you want a lot of control over the parameters, the 2k+ is awesome. I just finished roasting several back-to-back batches. Anyone who's done this knows it's difficult to produce consistent results because of the change in ambient temperature, etc.

But with the new improved sensors and interface (along with Artisan) it's easy to match a curve regardless of conditions.

I don't want to sound too much like a commercial and to be candid I was reluctant to pay up but I'm very satisfied. When I look at how many years and roasts I've done, the amount of money amortized over that period is good value.

TheoBro
Very encouraging. Please keep us posted on further insights as things progress.

MichaelRpdx
Yay! I've been out of touch, just roasting away. Found out about the 2k+ and came here to find some information.

Time to order the upgrade kit.
Portland, Oregon roasting with Popper to start; Behmor 2007 - 2013; Hottop 2014 - now,
What to do with TC4 parts now that I have Hottop 2k+ ??

Jump to Forum: