Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

renatoa
04/10/2024 1:09 AM
welcome cup, Ed K

allenb
04/09/2024 5:34 PM
TheJak99 Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,205
Newest Member: TheOtherJim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Genecafe Blade Cushion CR73-005A last only a few xeeks :(
freewillow
Hello,

I am the proud owner of the genecaf? roaster 101A.

I am very happy with it but for one single small item. The Genecafe Blade Cushion.

The first blade cushion lasted for a relatively long time 6/10 months, but since this first one was broken, I have had to replace it with at least 6 Blade Cushions in the last year. It seems that the cushions are destroyed and need to be replaced more and more frequently. The last one was destroyed only after 6 roasts :(

Therefore I have the following 2 questions:

Is it normal? Is something else "faulty" about my machine.

Is it safe to use the genemachine without any Blade Cushion. I do not mind the sound but I do not like the way the Blade is "bumping" on the glass of the chamber. Could it brake the chamber?

Thank you for your helpthumbdown

gene
Hey Freewillow:

What a timely post. Have had my Gene Cafe almost nine years now with over 1000 roasts at least.
Have only replaced the blade cushions twice as I recall.

On Monday doing a roast on back deck and right at end of roast as I hit Cool and hit "E" strange noise each revolution on End cycle. Later when examined one of the tiny springs the swing arms rotate off of had disintegrated and it was not wiping chaff.

Panicked and sent urgent message to Batch. Jesse said they only sold the swing section with springs as part of an assembly. Lucky they found one and the chamber separater will here tomorrow.

PLEASE don't run your Gene without these rubber bumpers. The swing arm has two really heavy disc's that screw into each other that serve as weights to wipe heavy layers of chaff off the exit chute. It is so heavy that it could reasonably break the glass in your roasting chamber.

Sound like you have replaced those bumpers and they continue to break apart.
I have a couple of bumpers yet from years ago and I know they are super durable. Message me and I'll send you one and we'll see if it is in fact the rubber itself and go from there.

gene
Oh and one more thing, I'll replace the chamber separator and do a roast late next week and post results here.

One thing from yesterday. After experimenting with several wires took a really thin paper paperclip and cut off 1/2" of smallest arc. Took chamber separator out and replaced old spring. Made sure of correct spacing by twisting with jewelers wire pliers and snipped off excess wire. Perfect as the two roasts completed later in the day were flawless.
Didn't need new chamber separator but will install since you have my curiosity aroused.

freewillow
Thank you gene. I ordered several new blade cushions from the UK. Thank you for your gentle offer :).

I was told by Gene in Korea that "to pre heat" the chamber without coffee beans in it is not good for the blade cushions. Since I am cooling my beans externally and letting the gene cool by running it without benas, I guess I am also hurting the blade cushions.

I read somewhere that one cannot stop the gene by using the emergency stops and unpluging the machine. But I do not know if this is true.

beanut
Hi Freewillow,

One more thing to keep in mind, be really careful closing the top. The only time I broke my bumper i closed the lid while the sweeper was hitched above the lip, this forced it to tear in half.

I have only done about 60 roasts on mine so it is also possible it will eventually get super fragile from all the heat and just break for no good reason.

I do regularly heat my carafe to 300 before doing a roast and I always do E stops to remove coffee for quick cooling, but of course i put the carafe back in right away and do a cool cycle.

I'm not crazy about the chaff removal process on this machine, When theres too much chaff, the machine heats up faster than i want it to right at a delicate part in the roasting process. I wish they could figure out a better method because otherwise I love this machine.
GrinExpobar brewtus IV, MK K30 vario, Gene Cafe

Jump to Forum: