Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

renatoa
05/23/2022 10:46 AM
abiy welcome cup

renatoa
05/18/2022 6:13 AM
gnosis coffee roasters and Terry Hauser, welcome !

allenb
05/15/2022 7:00 PM
lsawade welcome Welcome

renatoa
05/15/2022 9:13 AM
Welcome, Pinofly and Alex008

allenb
05/12/2022 7:47 PM
CafficitoeTim and pmf2000 Welcome! Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 7

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,580
Newest Member: abiy

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
"KN-8828B-2K+" upgrade ?
sparky
Did the upgrade a few wks ago and have done only 3 roasts , on the roasts I have done since the upgrade I am getting to 1st at 355-360f ? This is was on the 3 rsts that I did on 3 different types of beans.
Before the upgrade 1st averaged 385-390 which I think is the norm.
Both of the temps seem lower than previous ie ET/BT, have used a bean shute temp probe for over a year and rstr has done 140+ rsts.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to calibrate the probes?...Doug

Randy G
Any change in thermocouples and particularly their locations will cause that. Even calibration differences will affect the value. While the change can be confusing, all that matters is consistency between roasts. If first always happens at "X" then it does not matter much what "X" is.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

turtle
You can't "calibrate" between the original single probe and ET/BT probes.

the stock probe on my modified B temp readings between the factory probe and the custom ET/BT probes is quite a bit (I have all 3 probes)

My suggestion is start with a blank roast log and log your roast and use that as your new baseline.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/Hottop/cellHolder1_zps79292b84.jpg
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

rgrosz78

sparky wrote:

Did the upgrade a few wks ago and have done only 3 roasts , on the roasts I have done since the upgrade I am getting to 1st at 355-360f ? This is was on the 3 rsts that I did on 3 different types of beans.
Before the upgrade 1st averaged 385-390 which I think is the norm.
Both of the temps seem lower than previous ie ET/BT, have used a bean shute temp probe for over a year and rstr has done 140+ rsts.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to calibrate the probes?...Doug

There is a similar discussion at the H-B web site
http://www.home-b...35936.html

I have similar low readings from my BT / ET thermocouples. My brute-force solution was to change the temps that define the end of the drying phase.

A better solution is to adjust the temp values using a formula via Menu/Config/Device/Symb ET box (or BT box). Arpi's post here shows how to LOWER the temps:
http://www.home-b...ml#p252722
Life is too short to drink bad wine ... or bad coffee!

steelgtr
So, upgrading from a KN-8828P-2 to an 8828B-2K+ doesn't make it the same as buying the new model, right?

thx

bob

rgrosz78

steelgtr wrote:
So, upgrading from a KN-8828P-2 to an 8828B-2K+ doesn't make it the same as buying the new model, right?

By "new model", I assume you mean what is currently for $1100 at Sweet Maria's. The upgrade it makes an older Hottop better than that - it includes a better heating element, plus ability to control via USB cable and computer running artisan.
Life is too short to drink bad wine ... or bad coffee!

ginny

steelgtr wrote:

By "new model", I assume you mean what is currently for $1100 at Sweet Maria's. The upgrade it makes an older Hottop better than that - it includes a better heating element, plus ability to control via USB cable and computer running artisan.

they are talking about the NEW + model, not the latest one available at Sweet Maria. the new model will be 1600 approx.

no it would not be the same one would be an upgrade from an earlier model and the new would be NEW, new as in not upgraded. they are supposed to work exactly the same.

-g

Randy G
To clarify. Currently there are two models available:

* KN-8828B-2K - ($1100) - This is the lower price model that affords better control of the roast while the roast is in progress

* KN-8828P-2K - ($1250) - This has the more sophisticated LCD control panel that the user programs before the roast and then just runs. It is more expensive because the control, panel is more expensive to manufacture.

For those truly serious about roasting I personally recommend the "B-2K" model since it allows far better control.

The only difference between those two models is the control panel and the model sticker on the bottom. All other parts are identical down to the last screw. Exchange panels and you change the machine to the other model.

* KN-8828B-2K+ - ($1600) - This is the newest model but not yet for sale. It is literally on the ship and on the way and is currently due to clear Customs in the USA and be in our hands sometime in early July. We hope.

This model has a number of differences. It has a higher wattage heating element, Two, newly designed K thermocouples which are small in mass than the old ones. The new display shows BT and ET simultaneously. There are four rotary knobs to change parameters. It has a USB port that allows connection to a computer for logging. Currently Artisan is the only application that is ported to the Hottop, but it works VERY well!

There are four upgrade kit for any previous B or P model:

* UK-105 $460 - Upgrades and P-2 or B-2 to a B-2K+

* UK-106 $560 - Adds the "-2" Emergency manual eject kit to the "+" kit above.

The UK-107 and UK-108 are for the two oldest models (KN-8828 and KN-8828D). Those machines also require a new main circuit board which adds $200 to the above upgrade pricing.

Please direct all specific questions about these items to me "at work" at Hottop USA if you have questions..

steelgtr
No USB port on the upgrade kit vs. the new + model?

bob
Edited by ginny on 06/16/2015 6:28 PM

Randy G
All "+" upgrade kits give full "+" functionality. The USB port is on the right side 'edge" of the control panel.

Jump to Forum: