renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
blend anything you want, I do and
ginny
have great results. like many I end up with small amounts in 1, 2 or 5-pound bags so I mix it up. why not? they all go into the roaster at the same time since they are all possible city, city plus to full city and beyond beans.

typically they are African and I must say that I have had some of he best cafe cremas from these blends. the only problem is that I will never have that again...
to bad so sad for me.

clearly it is only personal taste here folks but if I were you I would blend away and try those beans you like mixed up, why not?

you may have a few ounces of this or that, roast away.

ginny

roar

JETROASTER
Anarchist!!! Are you suggesting there are no rules?!?
......I'm not sure how the 3rd wave hipsters are going to feel about this.

Enjoy! -Scott

ChicagoJohn

freshbeans wrote:

Anarchist!!! Are you suggesting there are no rules?!?
......I'm not sure how the 3rd wave hipsters are going to feel about this.

Enjoy! -Scott

I don't get it: Without rules, what would "rules" mean?

Home Roasting Rules!
So many beans; so little time....

ginny
rules are simply another's idea of what someone else should do...

please understand that I have NEVER followed rules, I will never follow rules as most are not needed if you use your brain and are respectful of others.

John, you hit the nail on the head - rules = nothing.

that's my story/life and I am sticking to it as it has taken me this far, so far anyway...

ginny

in respect of no rules

roar

ginny
please roast away those odd bags-o-beans ya got left as wonderful things happen...

trust me, it really does.

yes, I am sure I am

limb

GaryatGala
I enjoy roasting odds and ends. It,s a uniquely lucky dip as far as the outcome is concerned.
Most likely roasters dont take notes such as weights and ratios, or even the times.
It,s more like just relax, kick back and just roast the leftovers and whatever happens in the cup....happens.
In a lot of cases they are pleasantly surprised. In others it is a strange "what on earth have I created".
Not so long ago, I threw in bits of Peru Des Selva, Yirgacheffe Koke washed, and PNG Sigri peaberry.
A few days later we were enjoying one of the best cups of coffee ever roasted.
If they are roasted dark, the roast characters dominate and they start tasting the same, albeit with slight differences in character.
Another member of the KKTO rider's club, together with coretto, FZ-RR700 Baby Roaster and a sad sack of less than 20 kilograms of greens.

ginny
Gary,

you are correct as I have had the exact experience with odds and ends.

you, of course, never have that cup again or anything close to it but was it not grand?

ginny

party

turtle
I must have a dozen "nubs" of all kinds of green.

about time to do a "pound-O-nubs" roast
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

abraxas
At my age it all taste about the same to me. BUT, I always blend various origins especially those that are still being stored but drank over time with newly roasted beans. For example, am drinking a Papua New Guinea roast of about 2 weeks ago with a 3 day old Ethiopian.

LongLeafSoaps
Too bad I don't travel to Arizona anymore miss ginny...I would have to fly there and give you a hug! =D

I agree wholeheartedly...ef the rulz!!! Rules are for traffic and cleanliness! Grin

There is a particular coffee I really love..Mexican Terruno Nayarita Washed Reserve...

Sometimes I roast it long & light to bring out the sharp, blueberry flavor, and will then roast it short & hot right up to 2nd crack for the creamy, caramel, chocolaty flavor, and then combine the two together....YUM! Yep, I have always been a rebel, lol!

I am a newb at this, and so far I am enjoying playing with different roasts. I know what I like, I am the coffee drinker in the house, a guest has never wasted a cup, and I don't care what other people think, well maybe a little, since I share coffee with friends & family at any opportunity, lol! ThumbsUp

Does that make me a non-coffee snob? No, I am definitely a coffee snob, and have been ruined for pretty much all grocery store/restaurant coffee for life.
Carpe Diem With Coffee

oldgearhead
I thought all home roasters blended left over beans..The cup-o-drip I'm drinking right now is a roaster-blend from the bottom of three bags. I have no idea what it is but it smells like baker's chocolate...and is very good to slurp also..
No oil on my beans...

LongLeafSoaps

oldgearhead wrote:

I thought all home roasters blended left over beans..The cup-o-drip I'm drinking right now is a roaster-blend from the bottom of three bags. I have no idea what it is but it smells like baker's chocolate...and is very good to slurp also..

Sounds delicious! pouring
Carpe Diem With Coffee

ginny

Does that make me a non-coffee snob? No, I am definitely a coffee snob, and have been ruined for pretty much all grocery store/restaurant coffee for life.

you are for sure a COFFEE SNOB...

-g

Ringo
With a 5 pound home roaster a lot of my roast are house clean out roast, I usually go a little darker with the roast if the beans are getting old. I have not seen a bad roast yet. I talked to a roaster one time and ask him what was in the "House Blend" he told me "thats the floor sweeps". I do say yuck to that.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

LongLeafSoaps

Ringo wrote:

With a 5 pound home roaster a lot of my roast are house clean out roast, I usually go a little darker with the roast if the beans are getting old. I have not seen a bad roast yet. I talked to a roaster one time and ask him what was in the "House Blend" he told me "thats the floor sweeps". I do say yuck to that.

Oh gosh....I hope he was kidding! O.o

LOLOLOL!!! Grin
Carpe Diem With Coffee

LongLeafSoaps

ginny wrote:

you are for sure a COFFEE SNOB...

-g

Hi, my name is Linnea........and I'm a coffee snob....

heh-heh =D
Carpe Diem With Coffee

Tony_C

LongLeafSoaps wrote:
Hi, my name is Linnea........and I'm a coffee snob....

heh-heh =D

I resemble that remark!

pouring
Behmor 1600+, SC/TO, KKTO (Building), Baratza Encore, Chemex, Bodum Chambord French Press, Turkish Cezve

Scooter Dog
My 3 year old decided to try her hand at coming up with a good coffee mix. She decided to mix all my green beans together. 2 lbs Papua new guinea, 2 lbs Costa Rican and 1 lb Brazil.

I will report back once I get some roasted.

Dan

MPSAN
Well! If this works out, what will you call her secret blend?
Edited by JackH on 02/09/2016 6:49 AM
"If it Ain't Broke, Fix it 'til it is"!

mkane
I did. rabbit holeBBQ grill
Always learning

Jump to Forum: