Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Coffee can be good for you
Dan
There have been a number of articles about coffee's health benefits. It all started when researchers looking into the antioxidant levels of various teas decided to test some coffee from their office drip machine just for kicks. It had many more times the level than the highest tea.

If you find such an article, please post the URL and a summary here.

Dan
Coffee may help prevent diabetes and cancer. Drinking coffee can help ward off type 2 diabetes and may even help prevent certain cancers, according to panelists discussing the benefits -- and risks -- of the beverage at a scientific meeting.

http://news.yahoo...ee_good_dc
Edited by Dan on 05/03/2007 7:58 AM

ginny
Great thread Dan,

thanks,

ginny

B)B)GrinGrin

Jeffo
An older one that I saved:
http://men.webmd....ealth-food
Edited by Jeffo on 05/03/2007 8:51 AM

Dan
Here is an article that says caffeine doesn't give you the jitters, but a yet unidentified chemical in coffee.

http://circ.ahajo...5.3Av1.pdf

EddieDove
I have found the following site to have some good information and articles with respect to coffee and health:

http://www.positi...offee.com/

:)
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/

Pete
And to think I was thinking of cutting back on the amount of coffee that I drink. It maybe the only thing keeping me alive :)

EddieDove
Another snippet ...

http://health.yahoo.com/news/174676
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/

ginny
As posted by Susan on the SM List 5/26/2007

This is from the BBC News site-I wonder how many people drink at least 4
cups a day-Susan

Lower gout risk for coffee lovers
Drinking four or more cups of coffee a day may cut the risk of having a
painful attack of gout, say Canadian scientists.

Coffee's action appeared to be unrelated to caffeine

A University of British Columbia team found blood uric acid levels - which
are linked to the condition - were lower in people who drank more coffee.

But tea had no measurable effect, suggesting that the active ingredient was
not caffeine.

The work is published in the journal Arthritis Care and Research.

Condition of the joints

Gout affects about 600,000 people in the UK, with numbers thought to be
increasing in recent years.

Its symptoms, which are often joint pains in the lower limbs, happen when
uric acid crystallises out of the blood into the joints.

Drinking too much beer, or eating too much red meat are thought to be to
blame for many cases.

The main way to tackle the condition is to take anti-inflammatory pills,
change diet and drink more water, or in more severe cases, to take more
powerful drugs to reduce uric acid levels in the blood.

The latest research looked at the eating habits of 14,000 men and women
between 1988 and 1994.

This information was compared with the results from blood tests for uric
acid.

No caffeine link

The researchers found that those who drank four or more coffees a day were
more likely to have a much lower uric acid level in the blood, compared with
those who drank one or fewer cups.

Tea had no measurable effect but decaffeinated coffee did, suggesting that
the active ingredient was not caffeine.

The team claim that coffee drinking can lead to lower insulin levels in the
blood, and that there is an established link between higher insulin levels
and higher uric acid levels.

The results back the findings of an earlier, much smaller, Japanese study.

Dr Andrew Bamji, a consultant rheumatologist and President of the British
Society of Rheumatology, said: "There is no reason why coffee consumption
shouldn't have an effect on blood uric acid levels - although this is the
first study I've seen which comes to this conclusion."

However, he said that there was no certainty that high blood uric acid
levels - the only test carried out by the researchers - would cause gout.

"Some people have elevated uric acid levels throughout life without ever
having an attack of gout," he said.

Thanks Susan...

Dan
Here is a US survey on coffee, caffeine, and demographics.

http://news.yahoo...affeine_dc

seedlings
Dan, I tried to find the rest of the list...? I wanted to see something in the midwest, like Kansas City or St. Louis. Chicago doesn't count as midwest because...its...Chicago.

So, I wonder... if it would be more profitable to open a new shop in Chicago (first-placed) or in Oakland (last-placed). Are the high-caffeine markets saturated or is there room to grow?

I talked with a barista the other day and she said she takes home more money than the shop owner. This is a shop that takes the beans from green to Starbuxcchiatos, and everything in between, so they should have higher profit margins, right?

I have a roasting friend that has been researching, itching to get into a coffeeshop business... but doesn't want to leave the wife and kids out on the street s:4

CHAD

ginny
If Puritanical guilt gets the better of you remember coffee is actually good for you!

www.usnews.com/us...coffee.htm

ginnyShock

ginny
Extremely interesting:

http://www.aolnew...hare_email

ginnyGrin

Dan
Six cups of coffee a day significantly reduces prostate cancer!

http://news.yahoo...r-25261934

coffeeroastersclub

Dan wrote:
Six cups of coffee a day significantly reduces prostate cancer!

http://news.yahoo...r-25261934

Studies show that having sex 6 (or more ThumbsUp ) times a day also prevents prostrate cancer:

http://www.usatod...tate_x.htm

So what comes first, the cup of coffee, or the sex?

Let's see:

Coffee, Sex, Coffee, Sex, Coffee, Sex, Coffee, Sex, Coffee, Sex, Coffee, Sex ...

Or

Sex, Coffee, Sex, Coffee, Sex, Coffee, Sex, Coffee, Sex, Coffee, Sex, Coffee ...

I guess it depends if you like to start your day with a cup of Coffee, or end it with one. Grin

Len
Edited by coffeeroastersclub on 05/19/2011 2:11 PM
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

Dan
Some say coffee is an aphrodisiac, so you gotta start with coffee. ;)

seedlings
I believe the six or more cups has a direct relationship to the 6 or more intimacies. B)

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Third Crack
I found an interesting article in an Environmental Express newsletter. I am a lab tech and this company sells lab equipment and supplies. I will just quote small parts of the article since they have not posted an electronic version. The title is : Coffee Talk- A Topic Close to the Heart of Dr. Ameika. Dr. Ameika and his wife are owners of the 21 acre Kona Cloud Coffee Estates on the big island of Hawaii. The beans from this estate are roasted in Jonesboro, AR where he is a Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgeon.
"First, the alkaloid, trigonelline, has been shown to prevent cavities due to it's apparent ability to hinder streptococcus mutans from adhering to teeth."
"Xanthines, including caffeine, are known to be smooth muscle relaxants and are often given to asthma patients".
"Caffeine is also administered to newborns with apnea."
"Regular coffee drinkers have been shown to have increased rates of fibrinolysis, or the breadown of clots in the body. It is thought that Caffeine is the responsible party here, as decaf drinkers do not show this trait."
"Our Monday morning best friend (caffeine) is also known to stimulate lipolysis, or the breakdown of trigycerides into fatty acids, and may be of use to endurance athletes as a way to increase fatty acid metabolism, generating much needed energy during an event."
"..... these alcohols (cafestol and kahweol) have been shown to be anti-carcinogenic in animal studies. These components are removed when a coffee filter is in use..... ."
Hope some of you found this interesting. Bob
Technivorm, Chemex, Coava Kone, Compak K-3 Touch, Gene Cafe

yantacaw
and then there is this out of nowhere 10 year harvard study regarding women, coffee and depression - the results were published in a recent issue of jama for folks with access to university libraries:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2042115/Women-drink-4-cups-coffee-day-likely-depressed.html

i have to say that i've given up trying to figure out what anyone means by 'cup' any more.

yantacaw
another bit from the daily beast today:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/10/28/coffee-health-benefits-how-coffee-might-save-your-life.html

Scientists say a cup of joe can help ward off cancer, diabetes, depression, and more. Anneli Rufus on a dozen of coffee's miraculous benefits?and a few of its scary side effects.

Print
Email
Comments

A new study suggests that drinking coffee significantly reduces our skin-cancer risk. There?s a raft of other research that?s piling up evidence that regular cups of joe?six-ounce servings packed with antioxidants, polyphenols, and other health-boosting chemicals?can prevent everything from diabetes to depression to cirrhosis of the liver to stroke. (Intracranial aneurysms, not so much.) Scared of superbugs? Pour yourself another cup.

1. Drinking more than three cups of coffee a day reduces the risk of basal-cell carcinoma by 20 percent in women and 9 percent in men.

Drinking even more coffee even further reduces our risk of getting this common form of deadly skin cancer, according to a report presented last week at an American Association for Cancer Research prevention conference. ?The antioxidants in coffee have been shown to reduce inflammation and inhibit cellular tumor growth,? says dietician and nutrition therapist Karen Scheuner. ?Foods high in antioxidants help protect the cells against oxidative damage caused by free radicals that can elicit cells to grow in a way that promotes cancer.?

?Coffee Consumption Associated with Decreased Risk for Basal-Cell Carcinoma.? Study discussed at the AARC International Conference on Frontiers in Cancer Prevention Research, Oct. 22-25, 2011.

____

2. Drinking one to five cups of coffee per day reduces your risk of having a stroke by as much as 25 percent.

A 10-year study conducted on 34,670 participants linked coffee consumption with ?a statistically significant lower risk of total stroke, cerebral infarction, and subarachnoid hemorrhage,? its authors write, ?but not intracerebral hemorrhage.? Well, that?s three out of four.

Susanna C. Larsson, et al. ?Coffee Consumption and Risk of Stroke in Women.? Stroke: American Heart Association Journals, 119, 1116-1123.

Woman Drinking Coffee

Corbis

3. Women who drink four cups of coffee per day are 20 percent less likely to be clinically depressed than women who drink only one cup of coffee per week.

Depression risk decreases with increasing caffeinated coffee consumption, according to the scholars whose study conducted on 50,739 women yielded this stat. Caffeine is the world?s most widely used central-nervous-system stimulant, with 80 percent of it being consumed via coffee. Scheuner points out that, under the influence of caffeine, ?most people report feeling increased alertness, increased energy, and generally being in good moods. It?s difficult to say what else coffee drinkers do in their lives to keep serotonin and other neurotransmitters involved in regulating moods at normal levels.?

Michael Lucas, et al. ?Coffee, Caffeine, and Risk of Depression Among Women.? Archives of Internal Medicine, 171 (17), 1571-1578.

____

4. People who drink more than six cups of coffee per day are 35 percent less likely to have type 2 diabetes than people who drink fewer than two cups of coffee per day.

?I remain a bit cautious about drinking six or more cups of coffee to prevent diabetes,? says Mark Pendergrast, the author of Uncommon Grounds: The History of Coffee and How It Transformed Our World. ?An association does not necessarily translate to a cause or cure, and I would be vibrating if I drank that much coffee, unless I built up a tolerance, in which case I would be a real addict.? The study that yielded this stat also found an impressive 28 percent lower diabetes risk in people who drink four cups of coffee per day.

Rob van Dam and Hu, Frank. ?Coffee Consumption and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes.? Journal of the American Medical Association, 294 (1), 97-104.

____

5. Coffee drinkers are about twice as likely as non-coffee drinkers not to develop the potentially deadly methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infection in their nostrils.

The recent study that yielded this stat found that drinking hot coffee or hot tea (but not cold versions of either) increases resistance to MRSA, a scary superbug that runs rampant in hospitals and kills about 11,000 people in the U.S. per year. ?Our findings raise the possibility of a promising new method to decrease MRSA nasal carriage that is safe, inexpensive, and easily accessible,? write the study?s authors. MRSA starts with skin boils, then spreads to infect organs and bones.

Eric Matheson, et al. ?Tea and Coffee Consumption and MRSA Nasal Carriage.? Annals of Family Medicine, 9 (4), 299-304.

____

6. People who drink four or more cups of coffee per day are 80 percent less likely to develop cirrhosis of the liver than are people who drink no coffee.

?There is an ingredient in coffee that protects against cirrhosis, especially alcoholic cirrhosis,? write the authors of the seven-year study that yielded this stat. Previously, the medical community had known little about how to prevent or modulate this devastating liver disease. Sorry, tannin fans: ?In contrast to results for coffee, no effect was observed for drinking tea,? the authors avow.

Neal Freedman, et al. ?Coffee Consumption Is Associated With Response to Peginterferon and Ribavirin Therapy in Patients With Chronic Hepatitis C.? Gastroenterology, 140 (7), 1961-1969.

____

7. Women who drink one to five cups of coffee a day?including decaf?reduce their risk of death from all causes by 15 to 19 percent compared to women who drink no coffee at all.

While most coffee-related health benefits derive only from the caffeinated kind, this study found that decaf helps, too. The researchers who examined the relationships between women?s coffee consumption and mortality rates from cancer, cardiovascular disease, and other causes theorize that antioxidants are the magic bullet.

Lene Andersen, et al. ?Consumption of Coffee Is Associated with Reduced Risk of Death Attributed to Inflammatory and Cardiovascular Diseases in the Iowa Women?s Health Study.? American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 83 (5), 1039-1046.

While most coffee-related health benefits derive only from the caffeinated kind, one study found that decaf helps, too.

8. Men who drink at least six cups of coffee per day are 60 percent less likely to develop lethal prostate cancer than men who drink no coffee.

And men who drink at least six cups of coffee per day have nearly a 20 percent lower risk of developing any kind of prostate cancer, according to the study that yielded this stat. Even drinking one to three cups of coffee per day reduces the lethal-prostate-cancer risk by a whopping 30 percent. According to the study, decaf drinkers experience the same benefits. ?I am somewhat skeptical about these findings,? Pendergrast warns. ?All too often, we hear that what caused cancer 10 years ago is now supposed to cure it, or vice versa. Yet many of the recent coffee studies are epidemiologically sound, following huge numbers of people for many years and carefully weeding out possible confounding factors.?

Kathryn Wilson, et al. ?Coffee Consumption and Prostate Cancer Risk and Progression in the Health Professionals Follow-up Study.? Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 103 (11), 876-884.

____

9. Coffee-drinking increases the risk of intracranial aneurysm by 10.6 percent.

OK, so this is bad news for aficionados of the bean. But it?s bad news for pretty much everyone, because the same study that yielded this figure also found that vigorous exercise increases the intracranial-aneurysm risk by 8 percent, nose-blowing increases it by 5 percent, and sexual intercourse increases it by 4 percent. How badly do you really want to avoid a brain-bleed?

M.H.M. Vlak, et al. ?Trigger Factors and Their Attributable Risk for Rupture of Intracranial Aneurysms.? Coffee & Health, May 2011.

____

10. Men who drink two to three cups of coffee per day are 60 percent less likely to develop gallstones than are men who drink no coffee.

For those who drink four or more cups of coffee per day, the risk-reduction factor is 55 percent. According to the scientists whose research revealed these figures, ?Caffeine inhibits biliary cholesterol crystallization, decreases gall-bladder fluid absorption, and increases hepatic bile flow. Cafestol, a lipid component contained in coffee beans, may affect bile cholesterol concentration.? Also, ?filtered coffee contains cafestol and kahweol, which raise serum cholesterol levels, possibly by decreasing hepatic low-density lipoprotein receptor activity.? Well, that explains everything.

Michael Leitzmann, et al. ?A Prospective Study of Coffee Consumption and the Risk of Symptomatic Gallstone Disease in Men.? (PDF) Journal of the American Medical Association, 281 (22), 2106-2112

____

11. Men who drink at least six cups of coffee per day are 63 percent less likely to have Parkinson?s disease than are men who drink no coffee.

While that?s great news for your average joe-quaffing Joe, the study that yielded this stat found mixed results for females. Coffee-drinking significantly reduces the Parkinson?s risk only among women who don?t use postmenopausal hormone-replacement therapy. Women on HRT get no such benefits.

Alberto Ascherio, et al. ?Coffee Consumption, Gender, and Parkinson?s Disease Mortality in the Cancer Prevention Study II Cohort: The Modifying Effects of Estrogen.? American Journal of Epidemiology, 160 (10), 977-984.

____

12. People who drink at least three cups of coffee per day while undergoing standard treatment for hepatitis C are nearly twice as likely to respond positively to this treatment as are non-coffee drinkers.

In the study of nearly 1,000 hep C patients that yielded these results, only 46 percent of the non-coffee drinkers demonstrated an early virological response to peginterferon and ribavirin, compared to 73 percent of participants who drank at least three cups of coffee per day.

N.D. Freedman, et al. ?Coffee consumption is associated with response to peginterferon and ribavirin therapy in patients with chronic hepatitis C.? Gastroenterology, 140 (7), 1961-9.

____

13. The amount of caffeine contained in two cups of coffee can reduce postworkout muscle pain by nearly 50 percent.

A study published in The Journal of Pain set out to test ?the plausibility of caffeine to attenuate pain resulting from intense damaging exercise? by giving one group of participants a moderate dose of caffeine one hour before they underwent an intense workout, and giving another otherwise similar group of participants no caffeine before they underwent an identical workout. The muscle pain experienced by both groups one and two days after the workout was then compared.

Victor Maridakis, et al. ?Caffeine attenuates delayed-onset muscle pain and force loss following eccentric exercise.? The Journal of Pain, 8 (3), 237-43.

____

14. Women who drink at least one 12-ounce cup of coffee per day while pregnant are potentially twice as likely to miscarry as are women who drink no coffee while pregnant.

A bit more bad news, thanks to a study published in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology that tracked 1,603 women in the first trimester of pregnancy. Among those who consumed at least 200 milligrams of caffeine per day?the equivalent of one 12-ounce cup?25.5 miscarried, compared to only 12.5 percent of the otherwise similar women who consumed no caffeine. Coconut water, anyone?

Xiaoping Weng, et al. ?Maternal caffeine consumption during pregnancy and the risk of miscarriage: a prospective cohort study.? American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 198 (3), 298e 1-8.

jzuzphreek
http://apnews.myw...3HAO0.html
"Coffee Drinkers Live longer"

(And Home Roasters have more fun)
Edited by JETROASTER on 05/17/2012 3:39 PM
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

This is the beverage of the friends of God; it gives health to those in its service who strive after wisdom.

The intelligent man who empties these cups of foaming coffee, he alone knows the truth.

ginny
Thanks Jessy:

I had not seen that particular article. Several have been around lately on the same topic. This was very good. Thanks again.

what up guy?

ginny:P

atalanta
I dunno about cup size, it all depends on who you ask and how you measure I guess. And what kind of cup - espresso cup, measuring cup, bra cup, latte cup, liter beaker.....:trink25:

ginny
I just knew you would get bra cup in there someplace

ROFLMAO

RoflmaoRoflmao

I can't stop...

-g

Jump to Forum: