Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Spices-heat infusion- anyone try this?
oursl
Hey folks,

So on a complete whim the other day, as I finished a dark roast I decided to be a mad scientist. I threw in some cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, 2 cloves and some ginger and shook it all up in stainless and then left it alone for 24 hours. The result was surprisingly tasty.

Has anyone else actually done or spent some time on heat infusing spices into their roasts and if yes... could you throw some of your techniques and blends my way? I'm curious more than anything.

Thanks ever so,

Lisa

ginny
Lisa:

I am sure many have but for me I just like my coffee spiceless...

lets see what others have to say about this...

-g

beach

oldgearhead
For me, the big problem with adding flavors is I don't have an extra
grinder for the task. I have had a couple of bad experiences using grinders that have had spices in them...we just keep a couple of flavored creamers for guests....
No oil on my beans...

ChicagoJohn

ginny wrote:

lets see what others have to say about this...

:

While a total newbie to home roasting and specialty coffee in general, I have never liked flavored coffees of any kind and have tossed out many cups in hotels when accidently adding flavored creamers. (and, yes, I do use cream!... especially with hotel coffee)

But coffee, like food and drink, is such a personal matter that I think what anyone else likes doesn't matter with respect to what you like.
So many beans; so little time....

JETROASTER
I like the Mad Scientist stuff!! I would have to do a little homework on any organic additive to determine the best extraction method.
Some things don't extract as well as coffee, so some other techniques might need to be employed.
I tend to use the Chemex for this kind of stuff.
Try simmering some of your additives in about 75 grams of water for a few minutes or more. Use that as your pre-wet in the Chemex, then finish the brew as usual.
A thing to keep in mind; This will do more than just add flavor to the coffee. It may also alter the extraction characteristics of the coffee itself.
Have fun....keep us posted. Cheers, Scott

snwcmpr
If the coffee needs flavor, maybe this is a good idea.
But, for me if the beans are in need of added flavor, I give them away, unroasted, and don't waste my time. I buy good beans, and pay for flavor to be in the beans.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

oursl
I can appreciate the views around not flavoring coffee beans as a personal preference. But since I myself am an adventurous type as are many of my friends, and we tend to get creative around everything we do. Entertainment value and research for its own sake is fun to us. It's more about flavor as an enhancement rather than a "cover. I enjoy a plain burger as much as the next person but that doesn't mean I won't add a tomato or cheese or some mustard to that sucker to enhance the overall taste and pull out a different flavor experience. :)

The idea is not to put spices in after the fact, but rather heat infuse a complimentary spice to a bean with specific flavor notes to create a new dimension. Obviously, I don't expect everyone to find this desirable... the point behind my post was rather just to see if anyone else had ever attempted this. No sense in re-inventing the wheel if someone else had already done so and had some insights to share. :)

I also roast for friends and family and they all use different methods. I use vac pot and chemex almost exclusively. I do have some pals and family that still use the dreaded "K" cup method though... *shudder* lol. I don't judge.

Everyone has the right to enjoy their coffee how they want to. My father in law drinks it black, burnt and percolated... and he loves it that way. He hates it any other way... I can't imagine drinking that willingly but there you go. Different Strokes and all that. :)

turtle
If I want to make a flavored "desert coffee" I will use Torani syrup.

It is cane syrup and natural flavorings.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/torani_zpsq3ehdysl.jpg
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

ginny
cannot believe that people actually use the sugar syrup in their coffee...

-g

beach

LongLeafSoaps
I love cardamom with my coffee, but I will also add that I have not flavored any coffee since home roasting, it is just so delicious as is!pouring
Carpe Diem With Coffee

oursl
I would have to say, honestly... I am a hedonist at heart. I am always looking for the next new experience. This means, I eat strange foods, I try food pairings and flavor marriages that others would reject out of hand. My Grandfather was big on never ever turning down the chance for an adventure or an experience. I approach most of my life with that attitude and it extends to coffee. If I wasn't that kind of person, I probably would never have tried fresh roasted black coffee... instead I would have stayed away from coffee altogether out of frustration. lol

After fresh roasting the beans, I drink it black out of preference. There is an amazing brazilian bean out there that has tons of chocolate flavor notes... by itself it's amazing. It stands on its own just fine... but when a little heavy whipping cream goes in, it marries so well with the chocolate tones that it adds new dimension. Not something you would drink like that all the time... but the adventure... is lovely. It's like a flavor vacation.

Cardamom sounds fun! :) Will have to give that a looksie.

Cheers!

ChicagoJohn

oursl wrote:

I would have to say, honestly... I am a hedonist at heart. I am always looking for the next new experience. ... but the adventure... is lovely. It's like a flavor vacation.

Cheers!

I'm a total newbie to coffee, but I'm definitely with you in the principle that for me it's not at all about conformance to some normative standard but rather a taste experience I enjoy, whatever it takes to make that happen. I'm seeking a particular "coffee flavor" I like. Just to illustrate the personal nature of it, I've been trying to get what I like out of a Brazilian and also a Columbian now for a few weeks and haven't succeeded; too much cocoa flavor, which you like, I don't; go figure.

But whatever trips your trigger! And I think that the more control we have; bean selection, roasting profile, brewing method, and additives; the better chance we have of finding what we're looking for.
So many beans; so little time....

ginny
Let me say that I am with you guys on adding whatever you want to your coffee...

that said, I like my coffee as coffee.

many think I am nuts but everything I roast is used as espresso, everything. all I typically drink are 2 cafe cremas in the morning and maybe an iced coffee at lunch time whenever that happens to be!

I am one of those individuals who like my coffee in it's raw state.

as a foodie I am uncontroable in the kitchen or at the BBQ, anything goes...

ginny

roar

Jump to Forum: