Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,179
Newest Member: jrccole0112

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Confused by current coffee/espresso trends
JETROASTER
This has been nagging at me for the entire summer, then something Tom Owens (Sweet Maria's) included in a his cupping notes caught my attention.
He noted what I had been seeing: There is, and has been a trend towards bright, bracing acidity and fruit notes. Some of the more classic style coffees (chocolate, malty, dried fruit notes) are not quite as sought after. That's fine, I like crisp acidity too.
I am a bit surprised to have this sort of tongue blistering acidity in my espresso. A wonderful, crisp African or Honduran that I'd really enjoy in the Chemex, is currently finding its way into every Third Wave espresso offering. I've had it locally, and in NYC as well. It's not a big deal, fashion comes and goes.
Here's the part that stumps me:
The folks that would defend the sacred acidity of their ultra snappy espresso, are the very ones that would use the same stuff to make their cold-brew....leaving all that precious acidity in the garbage.
Am I missing something here?
Don't get me wrong, I truly enjoyed the NYC Coffee Festival. I was energized by the enthusiasm of a younger generation. I just don't get where the cold brew fits in to the philosophy.
Help me to understand! Cheers, Scott
ginny
oh I gotta laugh...

I just don't get where the cold brew fits into the philosophy.

it really does not. it is COLD BREW. a fad at best for a niche market, really churning these days, but most will never even try it. when I mention COLD BREW to anyone they look at me like I am nuts, what like iced coffee? no cold brew... it will be and stay around and have a place like Dr. Pepper.

you mention

and fruit notes

ah I love fruity notes in my espresso... gosh do I. Scott anything makes espresso just ask me.

coffee is turning, for many, into smaller markets, but most will not get that and do not understand coffee as they drink what they consider coffee -
Charbucks, 7-11, AM PM, others drink their small local shop that will most likely never change much.

enjoy what you got... plus what you can give to your customers Scott... your the winner here as you have the person who really enjoys coffee, your roasts and knowledge.

COLD BREW is here but will never take over...

-ginny

roar
Jump to Forum: