renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 1
rgrosz78

Total Members: 8,212
Newest Member: eximwind

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Kenya Kiangothe AA
allenb
I roasted this Kenya from Happy Mug last week in the 1lb gas drum roaster. Roast profile was a simple 5 m to yellow (lots of heat at the start), another 4 to 1C and another 2 to finish. I could tell as soon as the first whif from the grinder hit my nose that this was something special especially being the next morning after the roast. Perfect winelike acidity, subtle herb, spice and fruit notes and lots of chocolate. This one presently goes for $5.90/lb but to me is easily a 90+ cup quality.

Notes from site:

Kiangothe is a mill within the Kabare Coop -- a group of farmers who run their own farms and aren't under the thumb of the Government. There about 500 famers involved with their own elected board members. They grow on sandy volcanic soil at 5,000 feet altitude, and they grow only the SL-28 and SL-34 varietals which are the two varietals you want for that classic Kenya red wine and blackberry taste. Then this lot is only the largest AA sized beans, sorted out and sold at a premium at auction.
This lot of Kenya is not as intense as the Kigutha that we have for sale. It is a more approachable mug of coffee -- a gateway Kenya for someone who can't yet quite appreciate how different a premium Kenya tastes compared to what they're used to from their everyday mug of Colombia. In this mug you do have the red wine distinct Kenya profile, but it is muted. You also have beautiful floral aroma and tastes (jasmine, bergamout, lavender), but again, they are muted, and not as in-your-face as some Kenyas can be. The bean has pleasant sweetness, clean lingering aftertaste, and mild enough acidity as to not be distracting. Don't get the wrong impression -- this isn't boring coffee -- this is clearly a top lot of Kenya AA. It's just gentle, coaxing you into the world of high end African coffee without scaring you away.
This is a fairly forgiving bean to roast, as you can use a variety of roasting curves and ending temperatures and still get a nice result. Although it does make a nice French Roast, I usually keep this one light. What I try for is slightly more than a City roast, but not quite a Full City roast. This is a coffee with a lot of layers of flavor complexity -- in addition to floral and red wine tastes, we noted flashes of citrus, cranberry, and nectarine. It has some tartness but mostly sweetness. It is a sophisticated Sunday morning sort of coffee. July 2015 Arrival.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

turtle
this reads good enough for me to be in for 10#

thanks for the review.

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

JackH
You can't get a more detailed description than that...Matt at Happy Mug roasts everything he sells.

Just bought 10 pounds. Thanks Allen!
Edited by JackH on 10/20/2015 7:25 AM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

ginny
yeah, I bought coffee yesterday from Happy Mug and forgot to put this on in my bag so just ordered some...

he is doing a really nice job with his information...

ginny

rockon

turtle
I will also be getting some of their Colombian Santa Barbara estate. I have been sourcing this green locally but HM price even with shipping is much better than my local source for the same green.

I have to be careful as I still have a goodly supply of last years crop and I do not want to over stock more than I can roast in a year.
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

MPSAN
Happy Mug is sure getting great reviews here. I guess 8 # is their sweet spot for shipping, but I guess I would be more interested in getting Four 2# bags that I select rather than the 8# sample pack. Not sure how much the savings is for the $35 sample pack.
"If it Ain't Broke, Fix it 'til it is"!

Jump to Forum: