Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

02/27/2021 9:50 AM
Questions are best asked in the forum. The posts will last longer, and will be seen the most by members. After a few more posts in the Shoutbox, the post you made will no longer be seen.... maybe you could also introduce yourself and share a little.

02/27/2021 9:29 AM
I'm looking to hire someone to teach/help me to find the best roast profile for the 3 types of coffee that grow on my farm in nicaragua. I live in LA, but but could go anywhere in so cal with my Behmor for a roasting lesson. Please contact me if you're in

02/17/2021 7:20 PM
When your wife thinks 30 grams for a 6 cup setting is strong, you learn to drink muddy water when you are making coffee for both of you.

02/17/2021 8:32 AM
I use a rule of thumb of 60 grams per liter. 8 cups (1 liter, 32 oz) = 60 grams, 6 cups (3/4 liter, 24 oz) = 45 grams. 10 cups = 75 grams 12 cups = 90 grams

02/17/2021 1:47 AM
OldMan41, depends what is "a pot"... usually is more accurate to specify the brew ratio, instead grams of coffee. The most usual is 1:15, thus 40 grams for 600 ml of water. If the 100 grams are for one liter pot, then we are talking about 1:10 ratio.

Users Online
Guests Online: 30

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,040
Newest Member: Thelsegse
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Costa Rica Profile - comments please
turtle
Just finished roasting 400 grams of Costa Rica Honey Processed.

Waiting for the roaster to cool down so I can put it away so thought to ask the members to evaluate this roast for me.

Other than the short roast time of 10:21 what do you see wrong/right about this roast

What would you recommend to improve it?

Roaster: SF-1 (1 lb drum roaster)
Beans: Costa Rica honey processed
Green weight: 400 grams
Roasted weight: 340 grams
Preheat: 300 F
Drop: 410 F

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/roasts/artisan_graphs/10-22-2015_HM_costa-rica_honey_zpsx8kdmjss.png

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/roasts/artisan_graphs/10-22-2015_CR_report_zpsinruflhd.gif
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia
billsey
Looks like it might have been too gentle during te drying phase and too aggressive during the yellow. I would have put more heat early so I could back off later, smoothing the ROR into something more approaching a straight line sloping down. Perhaps closer to 4:30, 3:45, 2:15?
turtle

billsey wrote:

Looks like it might have been too gentle during te drying phase and too aggressive during the yellow. I would have put more heat early so I could back off later, smoothing the ROR into something more approaching a straight line sloping down. Perhaps closer to 4:30, 3:45, 2:15?

Thank you.

I've been pre-heating to 300 F lately to try to get the charge to start of dry time down. I pre-heat for 30 minutes with the burner set to 20% to get everything to a stable roasting temperature before turning up to 80% around 2 minutes before I charge to make sure there is enough power when the cold beans hit the hot drum. Before I charged at 250 F and my roasts ran 13-14 minutes.

I kept the burners at 80% from charge through start of first crack, opening the dampers full during dry (240-325 +/-). End of dry I closed dampers (burners still @ 80%). At the start of first crack I dropped the burners to 50% with dampers full open then shut the burners off about a minute before dropping the roast.

I was afraid I needed more heat at the start.

I'll need to fabricate a baffle between the burner chamber and the SSRs as I notice that the case on one SSR is starting to show signs of heat (not melting but getting shiny... stage just before melting). Then I should be able to use more burner without worrying about destroying one of the SSRs.

There's always something :(
Edited by turtle on 10/23/2015 7:35 AM

zeece
Mick, can you describe the dampers you are using? The SF-1 has the cooling damper that when in the cooling position essentially eliminates air flow through the drum. I'm assuming that is what you mean. Newer SF-1s have an added damper in the exhaust tube near the cyclone but I don't think you have this on yours (yet). By open (100%) do you mean in the cooling position?
turtle
My SF-1 has a flap that covers the tube going to the cyclone at the bean drop funnel as well as the lower bean cooling damper.

Closing the bean drop (closing the flap over the cyclone tube) and opening the bean cooling flap stops air flow out of the roasting chamber and allows for the fastest rise in temperature. With no air flow from the fan all I get is convection up the loading chute which is not much.

I use both in conjunction (both at the same time flowing air, and stopping air flow)

zeece
Thanks for the description. Never thought of the bean flap as a damper!
turtle

zeece wrote:

Thanks for the description. Never thought of the bean flap as a damper!

Give the combo a chance next roast and watch your BT/ET temps. You will find you have more temp rise if you stop air flow during times you want a faster temp rise like after you drop your green and at the end of dry running up to first crack.

I move more air during the drying stage and the crack stage when things start smoking.

Jump to Forum: