HarryDog

Total Members: 8,168
Newest Member: jbeske

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hottop 2K+ with Artisan
MichaelRpdx
First, how many of you have this combination?

I've had the 2K+ (upgraded from previous version with the UK-105 kit) and a fresh install of Artisan for three hours now. Getting to know the combination.

When I dial the power below 50% or the Fan Speed below 5 Artisan shows a value of -1. Move either above the threshold and Artisan displays the correct reading. Looking for a solution to this.

Beginning to wonder if they put a sound sensor in the new system. The bean temp display turned brown just as I heard first crack both times. Nice calibration there. Like others I'll be doing a mental adjustment as this occurs about 20 degrees lower than I found with other measuring systems.
Portland, Oregon roasting with Popper to start; Behmor 2007 - 2013; Hottop 2014 - now,
What to do with TC4 parts now that I have Hottop 2k+ ??

MichaelRpdx
Internet Magic is Strong.

Right after that post I did another dry run (no beans) test and ... the Temp and Fan LCDs are now displaying properly through the full range.

The only change I made, that I'm aware of, is saving the settings.

Well, that and posting the question for all to see and demonstrate my klutziness. ;)
Portland, Oregon roasting with Popper to start; Behmor 2007 - 2013; Hottop 2014 - now,

Randy G
The browning of the display (sorry,) is pre-programmed at that temperature. No sound sensor that I have heard of (sorry again).

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

MichaelRpdx
Sorry? Why? It's a nice touch to have the visuals change.
And I'm more than happy with the no beep.

This 2K+ upgrade is very wonderful.

Randy G
Sorry again.. The use of the word "browning" was meant as a pun, as was the "not heard of" in reference to info on the sound sensor.
I suppose it is much funnier when you consider I am the Hottop customer service agent for the USA and Canada and help English speaking customers in that capacity all over the world. Well.. maybe a little funnier.

MichaelRpdx

Randy G wrote:

Sorry again.. The use of the word "browning" was meant as a pun, as was the "not heard of" in reference to info on the sound sensor.
I suppose it is much funnier when you consider I am the Hottop customer service agent for the USA and Canada and help English speaking customers in that capacity all over the world. Well.. maybe a little funnier.

Ah, English to English translations. Among the most difficult.

Did another compost roast and my first actual, make coffee to drink roast with the HT2k+/Artisan combination. This is a fantastic combination that makes me very happy I did the upgrade.

Trickydick
I have been using the 2k+ with artisan on my MacBook since the upgrade kit was released earlier this year. I am using an older version of artisan that was available at the time, and have not upgraded. I am not able to get artisan and roaster working on my new Windows 10 notebook by the way.

I have found generalized bug-ness when I try to do back to back roasts. I usually roast two 227g batches of beans once per week. I have to exit the artisan program and occasionally also reboot my Mac, or it sometimes behaves erratically.

I have the components I believe to make an arduino/tc4 that I would like to use in order to use PID function and trace a designed or previously saved roast profile. I do not know if many/any 2k+ users are bothering with this since they have native USB support, but for me, the PID ability seems like it would be indispensable if I can get it to work. Any suggestions on where to read up on this or advice from others who have done this?

For the OP, I confess I have not done any roasts on the 2k+ without controlling it via artisan, and I don't pay much attention to the interface panel.

TD

Charbucks
@TrickyDick I just upgraded my Hottop to the 2k+ and I for the life of me cannot get the artisan to control the HT from my macbook pro. What did you do to get it working? I can get the monitoring working but not the control. Any ideas?

Randy G
Here are the instructions I have for getting it working:

If you have the latest version of Artisan then:

1 - Follow the instructions HERE to complete the basic Artisan setup.
2 - Plug in roaster
3 - Start Artisan on your computer
4 - Connect USB cable to roaster to computer
5 - Click the "ON" button on the Artisan main screen. At this point the Artisan interface should display the way you chose to set it up (temperatures displaying correctly, slider controls, etc.)
Artisan is ready to log the roast
For Artisan Control of Hottop:
6 - RIGHT click the time display in the upper right hand corner of Artisan. When you do this, above the upper LEFT hand corner of the Artisan graph area you will see the text "SUPER ON" or "SUPER OFF" (it toggles with each click then disappears). "Super On" is for Artisan control of the Hottop.
7 - Click the "CONTROL" button in the Artisan interface. The Hottop roaster should now start operating (drum turning and heat and fan working according to the Artisan settings). Additionally, all display characters should be blue on the Hottop and the USB icon should be illuminated.

NOTE: If you have made any changes to settings in Artisan and still have problems, close Artisan and restart it to be sure settings are in effect.

Charbucks
Randy a huge THANK YOU! I missed the part about right clicking on the countdown to turn super on. In the process I realized I mis-programmed the solenoid close so it was good I was messing around.
Any tips on when to turn on the HT fan during a roast? I am a total NEWB to Artisan, so if you guys have roasting tips using the Artisan software I'd love to have it. My first Artisan profiled roast is a bit all over the place. I am afraid I relied on my programmed roasts prior to the 2k+ upgrade and never paid attention to heater %, and fan speed.
Where did you go to figure all this out for your HotTop?

Trickydick

Charbucks wrote:

@TrickyDick I just upgraded my Hottop to the 2k+ and I for the life of me cannot get the artisan to control the HT from my macbook pro. What did you do to get it working? I can get the monitoring working but not the control. Any ideas?

Not sure I responded to this or not, but what I think could be your issue is some drivers need by the macbook. I think is called FTDI Serial-USB driver or something like that. Are you will past this already and up and running? Once you have the driver, it should work. That said, I had issues doing back-to-back roasts on my macbook. I needed to reboot my macbook to prevent strange behavior before starting the second roast. Otherwise worked great.

TD

Trickydick

Charbucks wrote:

Randy a huge THANK YOU! I missed the part about right clicking on the countdown to turn super on. In the process I realized I mis-programmed the solenoid close so it was good I was messing around.
Any tips on when to turn on the HT fan during a roast? I am a total NEWB to Artisan, so if you guys have roasting tips using the Artisan software I'd love to have it. My first Artisan profiled roast is a bit all over the place. I am afraid I relied on my programmed roasts prior to the 2k+ upgrade and never paid attention to heater %, and fan speed.
Where did you go to figure all this out for your HotTop?

I am still a noob myself, but I can tell you what I have found.
Most isn't for artisan tips, just general tips
stick to identical bean mass for every roast if you can, it will help with consistency down the road and hopefully shorten the learning curve by eliminating that variable.
Aim for completing drying phase at 5 minutes.
Try to predict the time to first crack and begin lowering the heat as you approach to extend/prolong the development phase without blasting right through it - the hottop retains significant heat and temperature control inputs take time to change the roaster temperature.
It is suggested to monitor the Delta Bean Temp (AKA Rate of Rise or ROR) and aim to have continually decreasing value without any sudden up-ticks.
You probably know all this already.
As far as artisan itself, you can set it up to automatically mark the TP, Dry complete steps. You can also automate the drop button to turn off heat, open the chute, turn on the fan to 100% and start the cooling tray spinning with one click.
Thats all I got.

TD

Charbucks
Folks, I am having a similar problem with Artisan and HT 2k+. When the Fan and heater is below 50% the LCD on Artisan shows -1. I can't get it to register unless I got to 50%.

Also I have seen on people's profiles where they change the setting of heat and fan and artisan puts a little square or symbol. How do I get that to happen?

MaKoMo
Charbucks,

could you forward me your Artisan settings (menu Help >> Save Settings) to check what is wrong regarding this 50% effect?

Activate "Events" and "Bars as Values" under menu Config >> Events, first tab to get those little square symbols per event slider action.

Charbucks
Mako, not sure how I missed this post a while ago. Here's my config.
I cannot get the HT hot enough. I do charge at 375, but into the roast I struggle to get the beans to past 375 without blowing the BT ROR downward trend. I had much better luck with my HT prior to the 2k+ upgrade.
Charbucks attached the following file:
artisan-settingsaset.zip [4.11kB / 689 Downloads]

MaKoMo
Sorry Charbucks for the delayed response on my side. I did not expect an input from you anymore.

I checked things and could duplicate the issue using your Artisan settings. It turned out that you actually told artisan to ignore values below 50 by activating an input filter that limits the readings to the range of 50F to 500F. To change or deactivate that filter, open the HUD dialog (menu Tools >> Extras, HUD tab) and check the second line starting with "Limits".

Charbucks
Mako thanks for that, I really really appreciate it. Do you filter the drop spikes as well?

MaKoMo
You csn keep that filter on, but I never observed drop outs on that system.

Charbucks
Would anyone be willing to share their alarm files for their favorite roasts?

Barrie
I have been away from the forums for a couple of years, with a move to San Diego, and now a change from my previous Artisan-driven B2K +TC4 mod to a 2K+ (great machine IMHO). Need any help I can get with converting Artisan to talk to the new machine. I see Randy's key step of clicking on the time display to get it going, but hope someone can advise me as to whether I need to start again with a new alarm list, or can just run a roast with the old one, then adjust the timing and temps as required? So far, I have only been experimenting with the Auto mode, and an Artisan display of the progress. I do have the latest version of Artisan, and imagine there must be others contemplating the change to Artisan and 2K+?
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

Randy G
When you choose the control function, Artisan will run the same alarm file every time until you tell it not to or load a new alarm file.

Barrie
Thank you for pitching in, Randy. Yes, that was the routine with the B2K+TC4. My question was really whether I needed different alarms than I was using before. I see something about MOTOR ON for example. That wasn't there before.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

Randy G
Check the "Downloads" section here. I uploaded a file with the alarms I was using at the time along with the graph files. It will make a good starting point.

Barrie
Thank you. Must have missed it.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

RAG
I recently upgraded my hottop with the 105 k+ upgrade kit. A couple things I have noticed. The new heater element is the exact same wattage as my old element (2k model). Although I love the factory model is now working with Artisan I am having issues with the factory thermocouples. Using identical beans that use to show a 50 degree differential between first and second crack now only 25 degrees separate these events. I can easily adjust to FC now being 345F (40 degrees lower) but this reduced spread is making control difficult. Anyone else have a short FC/SC window or what is the new norm?

Thanks

p.s.
Great to be back on this forum after a couple years absence.

Jump to Forum: