Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

04/13/2021 3:24 PM
Welcome DonnaReeves

04/13/2021 1:53 PM
Welcome to new member Ccelli Beans

04/13/2021 12:39 PM
Site was down, now fixed. Thank you to whoever fixed it.

04/12/2021 6:56 AM
Welcome New member sarahb

04/11/2021 5:12 PM
Hello Mr KK!

Users Online
Guests Online: 12

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,154
Newest Member: Lesler
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Deep Fat Fry Roasting
HoldTheOnions
Here you go. I plan to let it rest for 3 days, so hopefully that should really bring out the fruitiness of the Ethiopian.

I may do a fresh batch tomorrow using fresh oil to answer the question whether tempura fish, cheese stick, chimichanga, egg roll oil really is better than fresh oil in the cup. Personally, I believe it is just a myth and that fresh oil would likely taste equally good to most people in a blind taste test.

Sorry, had the sniffles and have to crank up the volume.

https://www.youtu...yriYOexQtE

https://www.youtu...6CgxgJEmFQ
ChicagoJohn
I found that very interesting. Clearly a lot of volatiles including moisture coming off. Maybe paper towels could wick some of the oil on the surface off. It'll be interesting to hear your reaction to tasting in a few days.
So many beans; so little time....
HoldTheOnions
I did two more roasts with fresh oil. One I preheated to 400 and it took about 5:45 to get about same color as first roast. I did a third where I preheated to 300 and then turned up to 400 right after dropping. I went a total of 11:30 on that one to get to same color. Was thinking afterwards though that I may have cooked them too long after 1c, so I may do another one where I preheat to 300 and then pull at 2:30 after 1c, comparable to an air roaster profile. It seems too light to me, but maybe color just not as dark when oil roasted.

I will probably taste the first 3 roasts before I do that though. I meant to drink first roast yesterday, but forgot, so plan on today. I will drink the other ones in two days for the same rest period. Post some youtubes after all done. I am a little concerned about the first roast, but will drink for science!
ginny
Hi,

while I understand the elements of deep frying anything, I cannot think of anything worse for my greens...

I do not like oil, the natural oil from the beans on my roasted beans so deep frying is something I just cannot do for myself.

all oil leaves a residual of some flavor in foods. can you imagine forgetting you deep fried fish, wow bet the tastes buds would be in an uproar over that cup.

hahahaha

nice experiment, I am waiting for those cupping results. did you use old beans...

ginny

Roflmao
RobertL
The big question is how will you grind them? No way I would put those oily beans through my grinder.
Tony_C
Cool experiment. Do you rinse them right after to try to get the residual oil off? Air dry them?

This wouldn't be something I would try, but am curious what you did after you finished um...frying them.
ChicagoJohn

I am a little concerned about the first roast, but will drink for science!

After watching your videos, I would be concerned about the first roast too. While I spent my career in science, I have to admit that your willingness to try and report upon the taste testing for that roast exceeds my own commitment to science, I must say.

When I was a kid, I had a newspaper route. One day, on my way home, a little kid threw a rotten cucumber at my bike, it hit the basket and I had to smell that smell all the way home. To this day, I pick cucumber slices out all my salads in restaurants.

That would be my concern with respect to taste-testing your first roast from the videos that you made with the well-used deep frying oil. I have a lot invested in all this coffee stuff, and I wouldn't want to find that I was unable to drink coffee ever again or be averse even to its aroma.

Just a thought to consider before you do this thing for science.
Tony_C

ChicagoJohn wrote:
That would be my concern with respect to taste-testing your first roast from the videos that you made with the well-used deep frying oil. I have a lot invested in all this coffee stuff, and I wouldn't want to find that I was unable to drink coffee ever again or be averse even to its aroma.

Imagine that...being driven away from coffee AND anything fried in one fell swoop?
ChicagoJohn

Imagine that...being driven away from coffee AND anything fried in one fell swoop?

Maybe not anything fried, but definitely deep fried cucumbers !

forum.homeroasters.org/images/smiley/smoking-030.gif
HoldTheOnions
I made some videos, it's kinda PIA to get big ones off my phone, so will upload this weekend.

General point being, I shoulda read these responses before drinking the seasoned beans. Unfortunately, you guys were too late to save me, but it's still not too late to save yourselves. Grin
HoldTheOnions

Tony_C wrote:

ChicagoJohn wrote:

It was close call brother. Real close.
HoldTheOnions
General comment to answer the questions on the oil. I wiped them with paper towels until nothing came off. Afterwards, they looked oilier than they really were, so you touch them and they were comparable to french roast, even though they were closer to city+ in flavor. But they were still very oily beans compared to what I normal roast and I significantly underdosed and it ended up being just about right. So increase grind or significantly underdose.

I get Harry and David flavored coffee every year for Christmas, so it's the same effect. It doesn't taste bland, but it doesn't taste like the underlying coffee either, I just mostly tasted the Mediterranean oil. I was contemplating if vegetable oil and a fresh fryer would help. I'm not going to buy a fresh fryer, but I may try vegetable oil or some other type of oil down the road.

It definitely works and I think is conceptually sound, because it eliminates environmental variables and I am guessing gives a really nice bean temp curve. It just a matter of finding the right oil, if there is such a thing. It was fun thing to do and I recommend to try at least once.
ginny

I get Harry and David flavored coffee every year for Christmas

you buy it or is it gifted to you?

-g
HoldTheOnions

ginny wrote:

I get Harry and David flavored coffee every year for Christmas

you buy it or is it gifted to you?

-g

It was gifted. Got some Starbucks too. I know, I do my own roasting and so people like to buy me coffee, makes perfect sense huh? :-)
HoldTheOnions
Results:

Seasoned: https://www.youtu...H0Zw9t1Jxs

400f: https://www.youtu...E6AD_rwDdE

300f: https://www.youtu...Q4bRcxOOJo
jkoll42
"To boldly go where no man should have gone before" I'm glad you made this thread because science.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3
ChicagoJohn

jkoll42 wrote:

"To boldly go where no man should have gone before" I'm glad you made this thread because science.

As they say, "Science is golden."
HoldTheOnions
I do feel like a pioneer. Yep.
insatiable ONE
I just cannot see me drinking any of that.

I tossed some in the bin if it resembles a hint of burnt.
But keep trying I guess.
ChicagoJohn

insatiable ONE wrote:

I just cannot see me drinking any of that.

I tossed some in the bin if it resembles a hint of burnt.
But keep trying I guess.

I think of this thread in terms of a driving metaphor for experimenting with coffee roasting; You know how when you're cruising along on an interstate and you kind of lose concentration and wander over too far to the edge of the road?

You hear that deep rumble and immediately correct your steering to bring you back on track.

Reading and viewing the videos of Hold the Onions' experience has been like that for me.
Jump to Forum: