Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,176
Newest Member: Adrian

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New Brewers
jkoll42
I've had my Technivorm for a long time and love it. Temp and time for brew are great, build quality is great, simple etc etc. Next on the scene was Bonavita with a bit less expensive brewer with correct time and temp a (imho) better shower head but less reliable electronics. That's all that was available as far as auto brewers that had SCAA time/temp profiles.

It's a new year and choices have exploded. OXO has a cool dedicated coffee machine as well as a coffee/tea hybrid, Chemex has a machine blending the classic pourover carafe with an auto drip element, Kitchenaid "pour over" brewer, Behmor Brazen, Wilfa brewer...

My question - who is using a SCAA Certified (or personally temp/time confirmed) brewer other than Technivorm/Bonavita? Please let us know your thoughts on it! Brewing your coffee is just as important as roasting it!

Side note - please don't post here about how pour over or french press or pixies dropping unicorn clouds over your coffee is superior to auto drip. roar
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3
JackH

jkoll42 wrote:

Side note - please don't post here about how pour over or french press or pixies dropping unicorn clouds over your coffee is superior to auto drip.

Not superior, but a logical choice when you are the only on that drinks coffee in the family.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
jkoll42
I'm not saying that other brewing methods aren't great but that the focus of this thread was on new auto brew SCAA brewers.

I was trying to keep responses on topic with an attempt at a little humor.

smh.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3
ginny
Jon:

how about you post/with link a few or one or two you like and we can all then add ours.

some folks do not know about auto drips and super autos.

ginny

cool
turtle
I use a commercial Bunn brewer. I do not believe that Bunn messes with SCAA certification on their commercial equipment.

I've checked the temp of the brew water and it is spot on thought out the brew cycle (190-192 degrees checked with an instant read Therometer).

I enjoy the taste of coffee brewed in the Bunn so much that it is very rare that I use any of my other brew methods (or my espresso machine)

Not everyone has the space for a commercial coffee brewer so you don't see them in homes very often.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/bunn/bunn_3-1-2015_zpswokmbprg.jpg
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia
jkoll42
At G's request here are the links to all currently certified SCAA auto drip brewers.. in no particular order

Technivorm http://www.cnet.c...r-kbt-741/

Behmor http://www.amazon...B00PKEYY8U

Kitchenaid http://www.kitche...KCM0802ER/

Bonavitas http://bonavitawo...ee-brewers

OXO Brewers https://www.oxo.c...coffee-tea

Wilfa
http://www.wilfa....precision/

edit to correct a link...
Edited by ginny on 01/04/2016 5:16 AM
-Jon
jkoll42
Turtle - you're right that Bunn doesn't bother with SCAA. Thanks for giving us info on brew temps. I've heard nothing but good things about the coffee from them.
-Jon
RobertL
Turtle that's the same brewer that we have at my job. I haven't used it yet because I usually make coffee with an espro travel press. I'm curious how much coffee do you use for a full pot? I'm might decide to share with my coworkers some day.
oldgearhead
Most air-pot brewers using flat-bottom filters aren't SCAA approved. However, most of them have adjustable boilers
that easily reach 207DF. At one time I got a deal on two broken Bloomfield 87xx brewers. I made a roaster out of one of them and brewed a lot of very good coffee with the other one.
Bloomfield, Bunn, Curtis, Fetco, Grindmaster, and Newco are all up to the 207DF challenge. Also, several are less expensive than the Moccanaster..
Edited by oldgearhead on 01/03/2016 10:34 PM
No oil on my beans...
turtle

RobertL wrote:

Turtle that's the same brewer that we have at my job. I haven't used it yet because I usually make coffee with an espro travel press. I'm curious how much coffee do you use for a full pot? I'm might decide to share with my coworkers some day.

I use between 49 and 51 grams for a full 12 cup pot.

The weight varies based on the bean. some like it a little thinner others demand more strength.

start with 50 grams and move up and down until you "hit the spot"

turtle

jkoll42 wrote:

Turtle - you're right that Bunn doesn't bother with SCAA. Thanks for giving us info on brew temps. I've heard nothing but good things about the coffee from them.

The boiler temperature is adjustable.

I have mine set to be 192 degrees but it does fluctuate 1-2 degrees through the brew cycle.

The commercial Bunn brewers are designed to product a LOT of coffee as fast as possible.

The time between one brew finishing and the boiler coming up to temp again for a second brew is just a few minutes.

They are really are not all that well suited for a single brew cycle as you must turn them off before they reach the second brew cycle temp. They are a lot happier running continuous brew cycles back to back.

allenb
Jkoll42 stated:

My question - who is using a SCAA Certified (or personally temp/time confirmed) brewer other than Technivorm/Bonavita? Please let us know your thoughts on it! Brewing your coffee is just as important as roasting it!

My trusty Krups drip brewer died recently and I was very close to pulling the trigger on an OXO but decided to take a chance on the Bonavita BV1800SS with it's lower price tag. Hopefully the heating circuit bugs are a thing of the past.

I too would love to hear critiques from anyone out there who have been brewing with one of the other SCAA certified temp/time brewers. There are some very sexy looking offerings from OXO and Wilfa that have me wishing I weren't so stingy with my savings account!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
MikeW
I've used a Velocity brew Bunn machine for a while and really like it. Bunn machines brew fast and so an "auto drip" grind is important.

I also use a Brazen and it makes coffee equal to the Bunn. I think it's easier making half batches in the Brazen because of the pulse brew feature; but it still needs a fine grind to make the short batch work.

Anyone in the market for an auto drip machine should consider one of the Bunn consumer tank models, they're around $100, and well made for the most part. If you want to spend $200+ consider the commercial tank machines like Bloomfield that Ed suggested. They are often on sale.
turtle
I still have 2 older Bunn "home" brewers siting on a shelf in the basement. One was used here the other in our cabin in the great white north. winterizing the "northern bunn" became a bit much over the years. We don't heat the cabin in winter when it is shuttered up and the temps inside the cabin get down to -2 regularly during winter according to our high/low recording thermometer.

I cleaned the Bunn brewers up, descaled them and "mothballed" them about a year ago. they have a constant full boiler just like the larger commercial brewers do and are capable of doing back to back volume brews just like their bigger brothers

They do not have an internal adjustable brew temp but sticking a thermometer in the brew stream after the basket before the carafe I measured 190 through the entire brew cycle. They made acceptable coffee but I found my commercial at a "deal I could not refuse" so the home brewers went on the shelf.

A rather old pic of some of my first "home" brew equip

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/bunn/oldBunn_zps02f4a558.jpg

This was my cabin brew set up before going to a Beehouse (Melitta) and thermal carafe a few years ago. The Maestro Plus is scheduled to be replaced on our next trip up north by a Forte BG I picked up a few months ago.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/bunn/camp_bunn_10-7-2014_zpsc73a5172.jpg

A late winter pic of the cabin all buttoned up before making the drive south

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/misc/cabin/buttonedUp_zps8a5f3dec.jpg
Edited by turtle on 01/05/2016 10:10 AM

allenb
My Bonavita BV1800SS arrived last week. There's a lot to like about this brewer. So far I would rate the cup quality very close to some of my best hand pourovers through a Melitta cone or Chemex.

Brew time is definitely quicker than the typical domestic offerings. Full pot came in at 5:30 versus around 8:30 through my expired Krups.

I used to wonder why the major domestic electric pourover manufacturers were seemingly stuck in a rut with their lower powered brewers that took so long to brew. Especially since everyone has been aware for decades that a 4 to 5 minute brew with it's necessarily hotter water is superior. I now know why.
When I brewed a 4 cup batch of 2 day post-roast PNG through it, it produced a large enough bloom to cover the brew head and if I hadn't switched it off for a few seconds, it would have spread out past the rim of the cone and down the sides. This would be a marketing deal breaker for any of the major manufacturers and not worth the bad press it would cause. Even if they would have tried placing large warning notes "MAKE SURE COFFEE IS NOT LESS THAN 1 WEEK PAST ROASTING DATE" it would have still been a marketing disaster.

The next day I pre-ground the PNG the night before into an air tight container and bloom never came closer than 1/2" from the brew head.

The solution to this shortcoming would be for the manufacturers to utilize the same size filter baskets as used on commercial 12 cup (1.5 liter) auto pourovers but would unfortunately make it less convenient to shop for filters and another down-side would be alienating folks that like to use 1 oz of grounds per pot. With the small baskets now offered, the 1 oz per liter folks can doctor up their morning joe and live with the thin, bitter brew but with the larger commercial sized baskets, it would most likely be where they draw the line.

In the meantime, I'll happily just wait a week + after roasting or pre-grind the night before as this is not a huge price to pay with the much improved cup!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
JackH
Sounds good Allen and reasonably priced. I am sure they did not figure fresh coffee in their design.coffee drink
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
oldgearhead
I've had my BV1800SS for around three weeks and my coffee is rarely rested for more than 5 days.
Here is what I do
1) Use 1 liter of water to 60 grams coffee.
2) Turn on unit.
3) Allow 3 'squirts' of water into into filter/basket.
4) Turn off unit for one minute.
5) Turn back on.

The BV1900 models have a 'bloom' phase, but it's too short for my needs. Also, I think a BV1900 flat-bottom basket will probably fit the BV1800. I'm thinking about checking that out, but like you said the coffee is too good to change anything..
Edited by oldgearhead on 01/16/2016 12:06 PM
No oil on my beans...
ginny
Allen:

have you considered speaking with the company about this?

I have discovered that most of the companies give you more respect if they know you roast coffee and that you run a home roasting coffee forum.

they may have a larger machine that they may offer you, never know these days what companies will do. we, as home coffee roasters are increasing daily.

they may find your information invaluable.

ginny

nice machine and clearly a great price point.

beach snowing but I can dream!
allenb

oldgearhead wrote:

I've had my BV1800SS for around three weeks and my coffee is rarely rested for more than 5 days.
Here is what I do
1) Use 1 liter of water to 60 grams coffee.
2) Turn on unit.
3) Allow 3 'squirts' of water into into filter/basket.
4) Turn off unit for one minute.
5) Turn back on.

The BV1900 models have a 'bloom' phase, but it's too short for my needs. Also, I think a BV1900 flat-bottom basket will probably fit the BV1800. I'm thinking about checking that out, but like you said the coffee is too good to change anything..

Years ago I had a Bunn home pourover similar to what Turtle posted and with coffee too fresh out of the roaster had the same issue with it's too-small filter basket volume even when giving it a pause between pours. The pre-infuse method is a good alternative to the pre-grind I used and I'll give that a shot again.

I might give the flat bottomed basket used on the 1900 a shot and see if it's more forgiving than the cone. I've found a flat bottom filter basket produces an excellent cup as long as the spray head covers a decent area.

It would be interesting to do an A-B comparison between the cone and flat bottom in the same brewer.

Allen
allenb

ginny wrote:

Allen:

have you considered speaking with the company about this?

they may have a larger machine that they may offer you, never know these days what companies will do. we, as home coffee roasters are increasing daily.

they may find your information invaluable.

ginny

I will give them a shout and see if the flat bottom basket will fit this brewer to be able to compare the two.

As far as a larger machine, the only way to gain filter basket volume to what's really needed is to jump to a commercial office or shop brewer as Turtle is using. I brewed in a smaller Fetco pulse brewer years ago but after moving to a different house I lost my access to a water tap so I got rid of it. That brewer produced an amazing cup!

Allen
Jump to Forum: