renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
greyberry2, N C, welcome cup

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 1
Dennie_S

Total Members: 8,210
Newest Member: N C

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Jeremy's KKTO Build, Parts
MrPeaberry

JackH wrote:

MrPeaberry,

My Variac is also rated for 10A. I have a Kill-a-watt connected to the output to make sure I don't exceed the 10A rating. I am not sure about the 120/140 switch, I don't have one. I think if you can monitor the current and make sure it does not exceed 10A (I keep at 9.5A), you should be OK.

Thanks Jack. I see the Kill-a-watt in your picture. I guess I'll see how it goes once I'm up and roasting. I appreciate the input!

Cheers!
pouring
FYI - I suffer from OCD (Obsessive Coffee Disorder), please be kind.

scotthal

MrPeaberry wrote:

I just purchased a Staco variable output autotransformer "variac", but what was described as a 12 amp unit, turned out to be a 10amp unit with a 12amp fuse. There is a toggle switch for 120vac/off/140vac. If I disconnect the TO thermostat and use the 140vac setting, I will be able to utilize the 1300watt capacity of the TO, otherwise, my max output on the unit will be 1200watts. Is it safe to use the 140vac setting??

Cheers,

Peaberry

Published ratings for Staco & Variac autotransformers are for "worst-case" conditions - high ambient temperature, continuous operation, lossy operational regime (ohmic heating peaks mid voltage, drops at line, & climbs w/boost operations). A good autotransformer with a 10A 'constant current rating' should be able to handle a 1500W purely resistive load @120V 24/7 for ambient temperatures below 100F.

On the other hand - if your Staco's 10A rating is for 'max-current', you have a right to be concerned ...
Food for thought; coffee for concentration

JackH
I just don't like blowing a Variac fuse in the middle of a roast so I take it easy on the power.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

LongLeafSoaps

Tony_C wrote:

If you are talking about the wiper motor going too slow, please make sure you are wiring it correctly, as mine spins fast.

Okay, seriously....I could have swore I only hit the "liked" button, LOLOLOL! I hit all others a second time hoping it would cancel them out....sorry about that Tony! =/
Carpe Diem With Coffee

Koffee Kosmo

If you are talking about the wiper motor going too slow, please make sure you are wiring it correctly, as mine spins fast.

Most of the automotive motors can take up to 24 volt
By adding more Volts juice you increase the speed

Or add another agitator arm

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

Jump to Forum: