topbanner.gif
Login
Username

Password




Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

10/15/2021 2:19 AM
merlot85, maycondelpiero and hoeltz, Welcome !

10/14/2021 10:06 AM
Thanks for the addition to the group. Seriously considering building a drum roaster along the lines of oldgrumpus's. Love the design and craftsmanship.

10/14/2021 4:00 AM
Morning, ar3mia ! and... coffee drink

10/12/2021 11:55 AM
Evan Slack and CupOfJoe, Welcome !

10/07/2021 3:24 AM
Larry140, Roastiva and fkrauthan, Welcome !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 15

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,360
Newest Member: maycondelpiero

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Jeremy's KKTO Build, Parts
jkruer01
There are 2 problems that I noticed right away.

1) I feel like the motor is turning kind of slow.
2) I need to find out how to disconnect the thermostat.

The heat kept turning off on the turbo oven even though I had the temperature turned up as high as I could get it.

Does anyone have any instructions on how to do this?

Thanks!
Koffee Kosmo
If you think your motor is going to slow then add another agitator arm

Have a look at my video as a guide of good agitation http://youtu.be/X...

And this one with the wire - http://youtu.be/w...

With your Turbo Oven - That is normal to cycle on and off when it reaches it's set temp - depending on the thermostat setting

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://forum.hom...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.
jkruer01

Quote

Koffee Kosmo wrote:

If you think your motor is going to slow then add another agitator arm

Have a look at my video as a guide of good agitation http://youtu.be/X...

And this one with the wire - http://youtu.be/w...

With your Turbo Oven - That is normal to cycle on and off when it reaches it's set temp - depending on the thermostat setting

KK


Thanks for the videos, mine is not going anywhere near that fast. Maybe I need to make sure I have it wired up to high and not low.

So with the heart going on and off, so people just leave it like that or is there a recommended modification?

What about the insulation / filling in the bottom, what is the recommended material?

Thanks!
Koffee Kosmo
Regarding TO mods - as the designer I don't like to say this and that will work if you break electrical safety laws
Having said that a competent and licensed person can isolate the thermostat and possibly incorporate a TC4
( I haven't done it myself but others have )
Also check with JackH

Insulation is placed under the false floor if the pots are to large and need volume adjustment
Otherwise surround the outside
But any insulation you use, has to exceed the max Turbo Oven temp by 50% for safety

Lots of DIYers use fire blankets with good results

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://forum.hom...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.
Tony_C

Quote

jkruer01 wrote:
Thanks for the videos, mine is not going anywhere near that fast. Maybe I need to make sure I have it wired up to high and not low.


If you are talking about the wiper motor going too slow, please make sure you are wiring it correctly, as mine spins fast.
Tony_C attached the following image:
wiring.jpg

Behmor 1600+, SC/TO, KKTO (Building), Baratza Encore, Chemex, Bodum Chambord French Press, Turkish Cezve
LongLeafSoaps

Quote

Tony_C wrote:

If you are talking about the wiper motor going too slow, please make sure you are wiring it correctly, as mine spins fast.


I just clicked the virtual "Like" button....
Carpe Diem With Coffee
JackH
Turbo oven wiring is different with each model and it is hard to document wire colors, etc. I removed my thermostat completely and wired another AC cable direct to the heater coil with an on/off switch in series. I plug the added AC cable into a Variac (Autotransformer) directly controlling the heater coil. The other AC cable is wired to the turbo oven fan.

I would keep the fire safety fuse in place. It will open and shut down the heater if the temperature gets too high. you should see it attached to the chassis near the heater coil.

I attached some photos and I hope it helps. I have been in electronics for 40 years and I am a bit crazy so I do this stuff. Underwriter's Labs would not be happy with me. Please be careful! Stay with it and don't let it run unattended.




..
JackH attached the following images:
turbo3_1.jpg turbo2_1.jpg turbo1_1.jpg turbo.jpg

---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
jkruer01
I just saw this post. Thanks for the information I REALLY appreciate it! Electricity has me a little nervous. I may hold off for a little bit. I'm in the process of moving and have a lot going on right now.

Thanks!
Edited by JackH on 02/04/2016 3:13 PM
MrPeaberry

Quote

JackH wrote:

Turbo oven wiring is different with each model and it is hard to document wire colors, etc. I removed my thermostat completely and wired another AC cable direct to the heater coil with an on/off switch in series. I plug the added AC cable into a Variac (Autotransformer) directly controlling the heater coil. The other AC cable is wired to the turbo oven fan.

I would keep the fire safety fuse in place. It will open and shut down the heater if the temperature gets too high. you should see it attached to the chassis near the heater coil.

I attached some photos and I hope it helps. I have been in electronics for 40 years and I am a bit crazy so I do this stuff. Underwriter's Labs would not be happy with me. Please be careful! Stay with it and don't let it run unattended.




..


Hi Jack,

Been working on a TO build and kind of in the stealth mode on this forum. I just purchased a Staco variable output autotransformer "variac", but what was described as a 12 amp unit, turned out to be a 10amp unit with a 12amp fuse. There is a toggle switch for 120vac/off/140vac. If I disconnect the TO thermostat and use the 140vac setting, I will be able to utilize the 1300watt capacity of the TO, otherwise, my max output on the unit will be 1200watts. Is it safe to use the 140vac setting??

Cheers,

Peaberry
pouring
FYI - I suffer from OCD (Obsessive Coffee Disorder), please be kind.
JackH
MrPeaberry,

My Variac is also rated for 10A. I have a Kill-a-watt connected to the output to make sure I don't exceed the 10A rating. I am not sure about the 120/140 switch, I don't have one. I think if you can monitor the current and make sure it does not exceed 10A (I keep at 9.5A), you should be OK.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
MrPeaberry

Quote

JackH wrote:

MrPeaberry,

My Variac is also rated for 10A. I have a Kill-a-watt connected to the output to make sure I don't exceed the 10A rating. I am not sure about the 120/140 switch, I don't have one. I think if you can monitor the current and make sure it does not exceed 10A (I keep at 9.5A), you should be OK.


Thanks Jack. I see the Kill-a-watt in your picture. I guess I'll see how it goes once I'm up and roasting. I appreciate the input!

Cheers!
pouring
FYI - I suffer from OCD (Obsessive Coffee Disorder), please be kind.
scotthal

Quote

MrPeaberry wrote:

I just purchased a Staco variable output autotransformer "variac", but what was described as a 12 amp unit, turned out to be a 10amp unit with a 12amp fuse. There is a toggle switch for 120vac/off/140vac. If I disconnect the TO thermostat and use the 140vac setting, I will be able to utilize the 1300watt capacity of the TO, otherwise, my max output on the unit will be 1200watts. Is it safe to use the 140vac setting??

Cheers,

Peaberry


Published ratings for Staco & Variac autotransformers are for "worst-case" conditions - high ambient temperature, continuous operation, lossy operational regime (ohmic heating peaks mid voltage, drops at line, & climbs w/boost operations). A good autotransformer with a 10A 'constant current rating' should be able to handle a 1500W purely resistive load @120V 24/7 for ambient temperatures below 100F.

On the other hand - if your Staco's 10A rating is for 'max-current', you have a right to be concerned ...
Food for thought; coffee for concentration
JackH
I just don't like blowing a Variac fuse in the middle of a roast so I take it easy on the power.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
LongLeafSoaps

Quote

Tony_C wrote:

If you are talking about the wiper motor going too slow, please make sure you are wiring it correctly, as mine spins fast.


Okay, seriously....I could have swore I only hit the "liked" button, LOLOLOL! I hit all others a second time hoping it would cancel them out....sorry about that Tony! =/
Carpe Diem With Coffee
Koffee Kosmo

Quote



If you are talking about the wiper motor going too slow, please make sure you are wiring it correctly, as mine spins fast.


Most of the automotive motors can take up to 24 volt
By adding more Volts juice you increase the speed

Or add another agitator arm

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://forum.hom...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.
Jump to Forum:

Similar Threads

Thread Forum Replies Last Post
Roaster build forced air and agitator Building a Coffee Roaster 9 10/07/2021 2:30 PM
Larry Cotton's 'wobble disc' heat gun build Heat Gun Roasting 12 09/24/2021 9:16 AM
KKTO in 2021 Turbo Oven Roasters 1 09/23/2021 7:00 AM
Want old Hottop 'B' for parts HotTop Roaster 3 07/10/2021 9:38 AM
Nostalgia Hot Air Popcorn Popper Build A,B, C Popcorn Popper roasting 4 06/27/2021 6:34 PM
Homeroasters Association Logo, and all Content, Images, and Icons © 2005-2016 Homeroasters Association - Logos are the property of their respective owners.
Powered by PHP-Fusion Copyright © 2021 PHP-Fusion Inc
Released as free software without warranties under GNU Affero GPL v3
Designed with by NetriX