Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

03/04/2021 9:04 PM
I have been trying Scott Rao Hario V60 pourover this week. 1:17 and blooming with 2 parts water the first 45 seconds then splitting the rest into 2 pours. A little stirring is included. We like it.

03/04/2021 11:35 AM
My brew ratio is 1:17 (exactly 59.5 g/L). That's roughly 8.5g per 5-oz cup.

02/27/2021 9:29 AM
I'm looking to hire someone to teach/help me to find the best roast profile for the 3 types of coffee that grow on my farm in nicaragua. I live in LA, but but could go anywhere in so cal with my Behmor for a roasting lesson. Please contact me if you're in

02/17/2021 7:20 PM
When your wife thinks 30 grams for a 6 cup setting is strong, you learn to drink muddy water when you are making coffee for both of you.

02/17/2021 8:32 AM
I use a rule of thumb of 60 grams per liter. 8 cups (1 liter, 32 oz) = 60 grams, 6 cups (3/4 liter, 24 oz) = 45 grams. 10 cups = 75 grams 12 cups = 90 grams

Users Online
Guests Online: 10

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,049
Newest Member: quanly
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
That German Coffee Taste
mithril
Greetings Roasters,

I've been roasting for about 3 years now and have a Behmor 1600.

I mostly roast Colombian coffee as I grew up on Dunkin' Donuts coffee and really do like it. My roasts though tend to go darker than DD, I find when I roast my own I prefer a Full City to Full City + roast. I try to take it just before to just into 2nd crack. I find this gives me more flavor and as much if not more body than DD.

However, when I go to my German Aunt's house, she brews a coffee that just blows me away with flavor. It's big and bold and gets you right at the front of the tongue and carries it all the way to the back of your mouth.

I've tried to replicate this flavor experimenting with varieties and roast profiles and I'm not getting any closer to that flavor.

I expect sooner or later I'll figure it out, but with all the varieties of beans and profiles it could take years.

Does anybody know the flavor I'm trying to achieve and how I might get it? I understand there's problems with the Behmor and how you don't have the control of a Hottop, but I figure I should be able to get close.

Thoughts?

Thanks
-Bob
jkoll42
Hey Bob - Welcome.

If you tell us what your Aunt's beans are it might help us out. Big and Bold is sort of tough to narrow down.

What beans are you roasting that aren't getting you the profile you want?
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3
mithril

jkoll42 wrote:

Hey Bob - Welcome.

If you tell us what your Aunt's beans are it might help us out. Big and Bold is sort of tough to narrow down.

What beans are you roasting that aren't getting you the profile you want?

There lies the rub. She buys her coffee from German import shops already ground. I don't know the name of the brand she buys, the label is in German, nor the bean. I can only imagine how much better the coffee must be when it's fresh.

I've tried a variety of beans, Kenyan, Jamaican, Hawaiian, Ethiopian etc. My standard bean is Colombian Supreme. The best I can come up with for a flavor profile is something akin to Starbucks, but minus the burnt smokey flavor.

-Bob
BenKeith
That's kinda like saying she drives a German car that has four wheels and then ask someone to tell you what kind it is.
allenb
Welcome to HRO Bob!

I can relate to what you're saying. When we would visit my grandmother in Louisiana we would drink a coffee she bought in whole bean and ground just before brewing. The coffee was most likely near a Vienna roast and was off the chart amazing. Intense chocolate and berry notes and thick body. I've tried to reproduce that flavor profile for years and never got anywhere close to it. Who knows, someday I might get lucky and hit the magical formula of varietal/blend and maybe even master darker roasts.

Hopefully someone else at HRO will lend a hand.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
scotthal
Was it the bean, or brewing technique? Gotta ask - drip, perc, vacpot, ...?
Food for thought; coffee for concentration
snwcmpr
I would ask you to ask your Aunt to take a photo of the bag. You could then post that photo here to start a search for more information.

She also might have really good water.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".
mithril

scotthal wrote:

Was it the bean, or brewing technique? Gotta ask - drip, perc, vacpot, ...?

My guess is that it's a bean/roast thing, but I may be wrong. She brews coffee the way I brew tea, she puts a measure of coffee grounds into a pot and pours boiling water over it. When she pours it into the cup through a strainer. You always get a few grounds in the bottom of the cup.

-Bob
scotthal
May be the brewing method then. Strainer will pass fines & oils that are stopped by a standard filter. Have you tried using a french press?
Edited by JackH on 01/19/2016 6:09 AM
Food for thought; coffee for concentration
yello
I was a few times in Germany, maybe I can put a though in too....

Most common brew method in Germany is drip type with a paper filter. Most coffee you buy in supermarkets is ground for paper filter (it usually doesn't say so, it's implied). I drink filter/strainer coffee too. I have a little plastic filter holder that fits on my mug, filter paper is easy to find.

Back to the coffee, there are a few very famous German brands, to name a few:

Eduscho
Jacobs
Onko
Tschibo

Jacobs Krönung is pretty well known and you can find it online (eBay i.e.).

Disadvantage with ground coffee is that it taste only really good for about 3 days. After that it seems the taste gets a bit less intense. That's why I prefer beans + grinding to get that German taste (with Colombian beans medium roast you should get near).
Jump to Forum: