You must login to post a message.

10/21/2021 2:41 AM
muckymuck, mckinleyharris and williamjonex welcome cup

10/19/2021 6:22 AM
Welcome tarunk!

10/17/2021 12:40 PM
Ploni and nader fouad, Welcome!

10/15/2021 2:19 AM
merlot85, maycondelpiero and hoeltz, Welcome !

10/14/2021 10:06 AM
Thanks for the addition to the group. Seriously considering building a drum roaster along the lines of oldgrumpus's. Love the design and craftsmanship.

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 22

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,368
Newest Member: williamjonex

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Declining ROR on Quest M3
James211
Has anyone had any luck getting a declining ROR on the quest? I'm pretty new to the quest, and haven't had any luck yet.

My setup:
Quest M3
Artisan Roaster Software
Eric S. Probes
SSR Controlled Element via TC4/Arduino
BenKeith
Lets make sure we are on the same page here.
When you say declining RoR, (degrees per minute the bean temp is increasing) you are referring to starting off with say a RoR of 40, then it drop to say a 25, toward the end of drying phase for the Maillard phase and say a 10 after FC for the development phase.
If this is what you are referring to and you are not getting that, you have issues that need to be figured out.
Now, I don't use a QuestM3, but any roaster should be doing this when properly set up.
BenKeith
I'm also need to correct some of the stuff I told you and hope you are not trying to do it. I was under the impression you were dealing with an air roaster, not an electric heated drum roaster, and you can not use those heat strategies on that Quest that I suggested. You will have to use the temps and soaks to setup your roast profiles. You will set those so they increase and degrease during certain points in the roast to give you a declining RoR on the beans.
James211
Yeah, I figured that out pretty quickly. I'm just not used to this roaster yet, so I have to figure out all the details.

My previous was a behmor, and that roasted in a very different manner than this one.

I was able to get a pretty solid ROR yesterday, but it really needs to be fine tuned. Now I know that will very per bean type, so it will take a bit of time.
BenKeith
Do like I just did, order you about 10 pounds of the cheapest beans you can find in some that might make a drinkable coffee when done, and start roasting. I found some on sale for $4 a pound. RoastLogger changed their Action Table so now I can turn off the 60 second delay it had. Old saying, "carful what you wish for", well I'm grad they did, but now I've got to redo all my PID settings and I'm tired of using very good bean's to redo profiles.
James211
That's what I've been doing. I had a bunch of old-ish beans that I really didn't care for so i've been burning through those. I'm making progress, but need to work out the PID settings. Getting too much overshoot.
BenKeith
Are you running what was preset in Artisan? If you put those numbers I gave you for P, I, and D, that should eliminate that. I would definitely try them because you being a PID greenhorn, if you are religious, you problem won't be by the time you get that figured out.
You have to realize, you will get some, 5-10 degrees or so at least on the first couple spikes. If you try to get rid of all of it, It will be too slow and won't come up to temp.

A quick "make it sound too easy for you"
Decreasing P is going to degrease or eliminate overshoot. However, the more you decrease it, the slower it's going to be to reach a level temp, and the level temp is going to be increasingly below your set temp. P should always be set with I and D on "0" first.

A good P value will most likely have a temp lower than the Set temp or Set Value.

I is then used to drive P back up to the ST/SV but too much I will cause over shoot and under shoot. That's why you don't won't to make P be too far below the set temp. Usually a number less than .5 on I is all that required and .05 or less at times.

Then you add a D amount to help keep both P and I from over shooting, but too much of D can throw your time intervals off. So you usually have to work between I and D to get the drop you created with P to the desired SV

Nothing to it, right!
Edited by BenKeith on 01/28/2016 9:36 PM
James211
I'm already losing faith...but its fascinating. Just have to keep playing. If this was easy, I'd have no interest in it. My other hobby is a coral reef aquarium....again, if it were easy I'd have no interest.

I appreciate you responding. I have so many TC4/artisan questions and I cannot for the life of me get them answered. These forums baffle me because everyone wants answers, but once their questions are answered they don't seem to help out others.....Grrrr

Again, thank you.
BenKeith
I think it more like, there are only a few that really know it well enough to answer most questions and with Artisan and aArtisan having grown like it has, these people have regular jobs to pay the bills and don't have the time needed to devote helping. When they can, they are a huge help. I only know some of the basic stuff and know nothing about either of the two you are using and have never used a drum roaster, even though I have been in different stages of building one for a couple years.

Let me just say, try to minimize what you try to learn for now and work on learning Artisan and aArtisan. Those are the heart of what you are trying to do and learning those and getting those setup is 90% of your battle won. Getting a couple profiles setup it key right now once you get one pretty good for your lighter brewed coffee and a darker roast for espresso if in to that or just for some beans. Then you can start tweaking those for different beans and roast levels.

I have also spent my fair share with Bulk Reef Supply and a few others, but I let my son take over that and moved a 280 gallon reef setup to Texas.

Hopefully, there are some Quest users than will pick up on this and help you with some good profiles to get you started.
Edited by BenKeith on 01/28/2016 10:04 PM
James211
We are one in the same my friend. I appreciate your words of wisdom.

Thank you!
BenKeith
If that's not your Thread over in HB, there is one going about the Quest using the TC4 your should check out and possibly get in on.
snwcmpr
Question:
I have been following this thread and would like something defined more clearly.
"Declining RoR" ... Do you mean to not rise as high? Like dropping the RoR from 20 to 10, or actually declining, as in a 'negative' number. RoD (Rate of Drop) Dropping temperature.

It seems obvious you do not want a dropping temp, but I am still not sure what you wanted in the first post. So, just asking.

Ken in NC
(I do not use a Quest)
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".
Jump to Forum: