Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

11/29/2021 9:33 AM
Welcome, Andyc !

11/25/2021 1:17 AM
RJ30, JackedUp and CapnWhidbey, Welcome !

11/21/2021 1:56 AM
Welcome, pimaCanyon and Chris Porter!

11/18/2021 3:29 AM
locotoro, ionpau and gougege, welcome cup

11/16/2021 12:53 AM
RidgevilleRoaster OH, _lg3, Yirgaman, Houncer and AgressivStreetLamp
welcome !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 24

Members Online: 1
CharcoalRoaster

Total Members: 7,362
Newest Member: Andyc

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My BBQ roaster
papa940911
Hi everyone!

Here's a picture of my bbq roaster I've been working on and find myself still working on and modifying. I recently cut 4"hole in the top to run an inline fan to help control air flow inside the bbq.
I did this at the suggestion of a local roasting shop after I brought my coffee over to have them critique my roast, which was really nerve wrecking for me. ;)

Thanks!

Ron

farm2.staticflickr.com/1554/24707352601_6e54b1c615_q.jpg

farm2.staticflickr.com/1498/24505308100_994321bd34_q.jpg

farm2.staticflickr.com/1587/24707348591_50d9b1f3dd_q.jpg
Edited by JackH on 02/03/2016 6:00 PM

JackH
Looking good Ron! That is the way I would go if I had no freezing weather.

I fixed your post and combined them together.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

allenb
Plus 1 on looking good! I'm hearing more and more positive comments on cup quality from BBQ rigs. Be sure to keep your exhaust cfm to no more than needed to keep the smoke from accumulating. Otherwise you're adding BTUs to counter unnecessary losses.

Keep us posted on how the roasts turn out.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

papa940911
Thanks guys!

Thanks Jack for fixing my post! And Thanks Allen for the tips! I wish I posted this earlier because I did find out that I was exchanging BTUs to compensate for the loss of heat from the exhaust. But we live and we learn!

Thanks again!

Ron

Tony_C
Ron, gotten a chance to roast with it? What have your results been so far?

By the way, what was the results of the critique of your roast?
Behmor 1600+, SC/TO, KKTO (Building), Baratza Encore, Chemex, Bodum Chambord French Press, Turkish Cezve

papa940911
Hey Tony!

I have gotten about 5 roasts in. My first one and second one I roasted 1 pound of some Guatemalan beans, and I roasted to just past 1C, but it completed in roughly just over 8 minutes. I took this to the local roaster and we did a side by side comparison to the exact same beans and prepared the same way.
My beans were very inconsistent in color and lacked much body compared to their coffee. The local roasters suggest that if I could extended the roast about 2 more minutes it would be better.
I was thinking this was way to fast for 1 pound especially since I was used to roasting out of air popper and that was roughly the same time, but for like a 1/4 cup. I was just worried I would burn the beans.
So, the local roaster gave me a free pound of beans and said try it again. I dialed the burners down and got the first 1C right around 11 minutes, but I let the roast run till just over 13 minutes. The beans came out great! I gave some out to friends and family and they loved it!
I did go back to the local roaster, but without any samples and let him know what I did and it seem to even out the beans and give it more body. The local roaster was happy and said he was thinking about my roaster. He said I should find a way to control air flow with a fan until first crack, then shut if off, slightly reduce the heat, and try to restrict air flow inside. I didn't quite catch his explanation because it was a crowed event. The local roaster has free coffee tasting every Saturday, and he makes a great espresso too. Free is hard to beat.
I had a few roast after that and 2 after adding the fan. I still have to go back and have him critique again, but everyone seems to love them or maybe because I'm giving away free coffee.

Here are a few pictures of my resent roast.

farm2.staticflickr.com/1639/24507202839_c8bdb05257_q.jpg
farm2.staticflickr.com/1631/24874797605_b5f9a06acb_q.jpg

Thanks!

Ron

Tony_C
Looks like it is working pretty darned good. Can't see the beans close up, but they seem pretty uniform in color. Are you able to cool using the fan set up? Or do you have to dump and cool separately?
Behmor 1600+, SC/TO, KKTO (Building), Baratza Encore, Chemex, Bodum Chambord French Press, Turkish Cezve

papa940911
hmmm...I never thought of cooling using the fan setup, but that actually might work out nice since I can change the speed of the fan. I might give that a try thanks!
I actually dump the beans into a chafing pan put that over an industrial fan and it cools in about 2 minutes or less.

Thanks again!

Jump to Forum: