Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My New Grinder
LongLeafSoaps
I was the high bidder for this grinder on Bay a bit over a week ago. It's a Baratza Preciso.

After replacing the conical burr, and ring burr holder, and giving it a thorough cleaning inside and out, it feels like mine now. It is super quiet and seems to grind just dandy, just as good as my vintage Dienes Mokka grinder only way faster, and no shoulder motion needed, lol!
LongLeafSoaps attached the following image:
preciso-242k.jpg

Carpe Diem With Coffee

LongLeafSoaps
So here is the reason I replaced the conical burr, the ring burr wasn't too much better, and the ring burr holder was cracked in two places.
LongLeafSoaps attached the following images:
image_34.jpeg image_35.jpeg

Carpe Diem With Coffee

LongLeafSoaps
Performing surgery....
image_36.jpeg

Carpe Diem With Coffee

LongLeafSoaps
Nice, shiny, and everything put back together...no extra parts leftover ;-D
image_37.jpeg image_38.jpeg image_39.jpeg

Carpe Diem With Coffee

LongLeafSoaps
A comparison of the grind from both the vintage Dienes Mokka grinder, and the Baratza Preciso grinder.

I always knew the Dienes grinder did a great job, but this is about as fine as I can go with it, plus I have a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder, and had my left biceps tendon reattached 2 years ago, and a cartilage tear repair, and resurfacing of my left wrist a year ago. I will probably still grind with the old gal every now again because I do actually like grinding my coffee by hand (for a single cup or shot anyways ;-), but if I have several cups in a day, my torn rotator lets me know it...
dienes-mokka.jpg dienes-mokka-2.jpg coffee-side-by-side-229.jpg

Carpe Diem With Coffee

LongLeafSoaps
Here is the grinds from the Baratza Preciso set at A-10
preciso-2.jpg preciso.jpg

Carpe Diem With Coffee

JackH
Glad you were able to get a good grinder!
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

BenKeith
No left over parts?
Anytime I have parts left over, I just say it was over engineered.

One, note. If you use it for espresso, Having put those new burrs in, it will probably take a few pounds of coffee through it to start making consistent shots.

oldgearhead
Nice job!
No oil on my beans...

ginny
Linnea:

Nice grinder you have there and good work in fixing it up...

your work table is clean compared to mine!!!

ginny

smoking

LongLeafSoaps
Thanks everyone!...now a new problem...I AM OUT OF ROASTED BEANS TODAY!!!

A womans work is never done it seems, lol! Grin
Carpe Diem With Coffee

ginny
running out of beans is almost as bad as when I trundle to the kitchen at 3am only to discover my Miele 5K want it's 200 cup cleaning...

hate that, I do.

-g

LongLeafSoaps

ginny wrote:

your work table is clean compared to mine!!!

Oh....erm.....uh......cough-cough........(clears throat)...that is my dining room table....the best work surface in the house! ThumbsUp
Carpe Diem With Coffee

Tony_C
Excellent refurbishment!

So ironic, I have the same round black handled ratcheting screwdriver!
Behmor 1600+, SC/TO, KKTO (Building), Baratza Encore, Chemex, Bodum Chambord French Press, Turkish Cezve

LongLeafSoaps

Tony_C wrote:

So ironic, I have the same round black handled ratcheting screwdriver!

Thanks Tony...

I really like that screw driver..Fiskars, right? I only wish it had an on/off lever like a Snap-On ratchet....otherwise, I spend too much time figuring out which of the 4 settings it has...maybe I could nail polish a green and red dot on it, why didn't I think of that before???
Carpe Diem With Coffee

turtle
You have a very nce "first" electric grinder.

It should hold you in good stead for years to come
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

Tony_C

LongLeafSoaps wrote:
Thanks Tony...

I really like that screw driver..Fiskars, right? I only wish it had an on/off lever like a Snap-On ratchet....otherwise, I spend too much time figuring out which of the 4 settings it has...maybe I could nail polish a green and red dot on it, why didn't I think of that before???

Yes, Fiskars! Hang on to yours, these are hard to find in good shape. I love mine. The labels fell off long ago on mine, it was a pass down from my dad so it has sentimental value as well. I've gone through a bunch of ratcheting screwdrivers, and the only two that have stood the test of time is my Snap On, and the Fiskar. Yes, good idea on the nail polish. It has the raised Fwd & Rev on it, but it's hard to see. Highlighting them would be perfect.

Now go roast and tell me how good the Preciso works!
coffee drink
Behmor 1600+, SC/TO, KKTO (Building), Baratza Encore, Chemex, Bodum Chambord French Press, Turkish Cezve

LongLeafSoaps

turtle wrote:

You have a very nce "first" electric grinder.

It should hold you in good stead for years to come

Thanks Mick..I hope so...so long as the motor doesn't crap out! Yes, my first good "electric" grinder ThumbsUp
Carpe Diem With Coffee

LongLeafSoaps

Tony_C wrote:
.... It has the raised Fwd & Rev on it, but it's hard to see. Highlighting them would be perfect.

Now go roast and tell me how good the Preciso works!
coffee drink

Wow...I never noticed the Fwd & Rev before! I also never paid attention that it has onboard bit storage =P
Edited by ginny on 02/13/2016 11:55 AM
Carpe Diem With Coffee

LongLeafSoaps
I am reporting back..so far so good with this grinder...it is so quiet compared to the cheap junk electric grinders I have had in the past, I just want to keep grinding beans because it is so pleasantly quiet, lol! Grin

Other than the pleasant grinding atmosphere this grinder creates in the wee hours of the morning, it grinds consistently without fail. And NO STATIC!!! YAY! ThumbsUp

I would recommend the Baratza Preciso to anyone wanting to move up to a quality grinder, but isn't ready to take the leap into one of the commercial coffee house type grinders quite yet...

I would either recommend finding a used grinder on eBay, Craigslist, etc, since that is what you are essentially receiving if you purchase one of Baratza's "refurbished" grinder program, save yourself a little $$ since that is what you would be getting anyway...a used grinder.

I have yet to use this grinder for espresso, but I am roasting later today, and I am eager to see how it does with the R.O.K. With my hand Dienes Mokka grinder at the smallest grind setting, all I can get is a thin 1/8" layer of crema...I am not expecting miracles, but my fingers are X'd!
rok.jpeg

Carpe Diem With Coffee

turtle

LongLeafSoaps wrote:

I am reporting back..so far so good with this grinder...it is so quiet

I would recommend the Baratza Preciso to anyone wanting to move up to a quality grinder, but isn't ready to take the leap into one of the commercial coffee house type grinders quite yet...

For years it was their top of the line grinder so you should expect something a little better than "average"

LongLeafSoaps wrote:I would either recommend finding a used grinder on eBay, Craigslist, etc, since that is what you are essentially receiving if you purchase one of Baratza's "refurbished" grinder program, save yourself a little $$ since that is what you would be getting anyway...a used grinder.

with the exception that refurbished grinders from Baratza come with a full year warranty just like a new grinder does. Online auctions and online yard sale buys may or may not work (flip the coin). Buy with your eyes open and you will be fine buying "as is" used items

LongLeafSoaps wrote:I have yet to use this grinder for espresso, but I am roasting later today, and I am eager to see how it does with the R.O.K. With my hand Dienes Mokka grinder at the smallest grind setting, all I can get is a thin 1/8" layer of crema...I am not expecting miracles, but my fingers are X'd!

If you do not get fine enough, go inside and tweak the base setting a "smuge" to the finer side. You don't want to go all the way as then you wil not get any press level grinding out of the machine.

As with any grinder, there is no such thing as a "Swiss army knife" grinder. They are either good espresso or good pourover/press grinders. I've never found a single grinder that can do everything.

LongLeafSoaps

turtle wrote:

If you do not get fine enough, go inside and tweak the base setting a "smuge" to the finer side. You don't want to go all the way as then you wil not get any press level grinding out of the machine.

As with any grinder, there is no such thing as a "Swiss army knife" grinder. They are either good espresso or good pourover/press grinders. I've never found a single grinder that can do everything.

I did take note of the "tweak" adjustment slot while I was inside the grinder, and so far.
I still haven't ground espresso yet. My 93 year old grandmother has been ill, so I have been dealing with that out of town...hence my lake of posts also ;)

So far, I am super happy with this grinder, and really, thanks Mick, for nudging me, and hand holding me, thru finding a replacement (and upgrade!) after the "refurbished" grinder fiasco I got from Baratza...otherwise, I may have purchased something I wouldn't have been very happy with, so THANKS!!!. pouring
Carpe Diem With Coffee

turtle

LongLeafSoaps wrote:

I did take note of the "tweak" adjustment slot while I was inside the grinder, and so far.
I still haven't ground espresso yet. My 93 year old grandmother has been ill, so I have been dealing with that out of town...hence my lake of posts also ;)

Sorry to hear about your grandmother not being well. My mom is 90 but luckily she is fit and just as sharp as she has always been. She just renewed her driver's license without any problems at all. You will recognizer her, she is the one who's car does not have a driver in it as she sits so low behind the wheel now.

LongLeafSoaps wrote:So far, I am super happy with this grinder, and really, thanks Mick, for nudging me, and hand holding me, thru finding a replacement (and upgrade!) after the "refurbished" grinder fiasco I got from Baratza...otherwise, I may have purchased something I wouldn't have been very happy with, so THANKS!!!. pouring

Once you explained to me what you were looking for in a grinder the choice was obvious to me. Sorry I had to bring out the big club for you to see it too.

In the years I owned my Preciso I never tried to grind espresso in it, using it entirely as a killer brew grinder. It spent its entire live attached to an Esatto.

So I can't offer any first hand advice other than to keep tweaking and once you have it set, "let er alone" only making minute micro adjustments to get your pull time within reason. Good espresso has a fair window of pull time so as long as you are outside of the bitter/sour range you should have very drinkable espresso. This would be the same advice I would give anyone setting up an espresso grinder.

Jump to Forum: