Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,167
Newest Member: Soubriquet

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
1st roast with (almost) restored Behmor 1600
turtle
A gentleman on another (non coffee) forum got a new 1600 plus and asked me if I wanted the 1600 that he has used for a while.

I did some clean up of the interior, got most of the oils off the chafe tray and basket as well as the interior. Removed as much as I dared (without a service manual), vacuumed and blew out the interior as good as I could over a couple of days.

I am sitting outside with the 1600 back together to run a few "test" roasts through it before I dig deeper into it. I thought it would be a good idea to make sure that the basics of the roaster were functional before I got it too far apart and got too deep into it.

I've just finished a dry burn (1/4 lb cycle without beans)...

I had to turn on my large patton fan to blow the smoke away so I could see what was going on.

There must be a fair amount of oil and residue still remaining that I will need to get to and remove if I want the roasts to be "unflavored"

6 min left on the cool down cycle then I will run 1/4 lb of Brazil through it to see how things work.

I've only roasted on a Hottop (for a number of years) and lately on the SF-1 240VAC electric I restored last year.

This is completely different roasting experience and one I am looking forward to.

I've got my leather forge gauntlets at the ready and will post back once the first roast has finished.

A few "as arrived" photos. from yesterday.... I need to go inside to get the rest of the pics off of the camera as I am writing this outside on my roasting laptop which has limited abilities.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/Behmor/restore/boxHere2.jpg

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/Behmor/restore/behTrayPreClean.jpg
Edited by JackH on 03/19/2016 3:39 AM
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

Tony_C
Ooooo nice! Can't wait to hear your results. It looks to be in good shape, and looks like it was well used indeed. Funny part is, I hear people complaining about the door gasket crinkling out of shape, and so far mine has not, and looking at your pictures, neither has yours.
Behmor 1600+, SC/TO, KKTO (Building), Baratza Encore, Chemex, Bodum Chambord French Press, Turkish Cezve

turtle
This came in the mail today

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/Behmor/restore/B_plus_board.jpg

Edited by JackH on 03/18/2016 3:05 PM
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

JackH
Mick, your photo links do not seem to be working. I fixed post #3 but your photos in post #1 are not found.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

racer7
You got a seriously abused Behmor whose previous owner was apparently too lazy to clean it. The drum design mitigates some of the crud effects on roasting but gummed up sidewall over the stat and what had to be a lot of junk in the airflow areas has a significant effect.

Just for those who lke to keep equipment in good shape I've started a thread on Behmore cleaning though I don't expect it will provoke much discussion

Tony_C
Glad you picked up the new panel. Is she all cleaned up now? How has she been performing so far?

Racer7, I just posted to your thread. I know things can move slow here, but people will jump in to discuss it. I've been off the forum myself for a bit as well, but roasting away. I actually ran out of fresh roasted bean and had to resort to a family members store bought today. So disappointing. My Behmor has been producing phenomenal coffee, and I share my offerings at work. One person's wife travels a lot and brings in a lot of gourmet Seattle fresh roast offerings. I love how my Behmor roasts are a step above them. So, I'm going to be keeping mine in the best shape possible to continue pumping out some great roasts.
Behmor 1600+, SC/TO, KKTO (Building), Baratza Encore, Chemex, Bodum Chambord French Press, Turkish Cezve

Jump to Forum: