Users Online
Guests Online: 11

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,176
Newest Member: Adrian

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Looking for computer interface to run Artisan with two thermocouples...
Randy G
..but not for me. I have a friend who has a homemade 2lb. gas roaster with no telemetry at this time other than a BT displaying on a PID I think (I have not actually seen his set up). I want to get him set up running Artisan just for logging (no control) with BT and ET. He has a laptop but we need an interface for two K thermocouples. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.
HoldTheOnions
Never used one, but they have these things. http://www.omega....C-USB.html Maybe one that has two inputs or just get two. Could also use arduino and two max chips.
btreichel
http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?product_id=1048
turtle

Randy G wrote:

..but not for me. I have a friend who has a homemade 2lb. gas roaster with no telemetry at this time other than a BT displaying on a PID I think (I have not actually seen his set up). I want to get him set up running Artisan just for logging (no control) with BT and ET. He has a laptop but we need an interface for two K thermocouples. Any assistance would be appreciated.

I've been logging my SF-1 for a year now using an Amprobe TMD-56 dual channel meter hooked to BT/ET probes and sending out via USB to a laptop running artisan.

Before that, I had the meter hooked up to my Hottop, then out via usb to a laptop.

this is simple and works perfectly. I can take more photo if you are interested.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/9-22-2015_new_cart3_zpslv36j3yu.jpg
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia
Randy G
Thanks, folks. These are all a good start. Keep 'em coming.

JackH
TC4/TC4C - four inputs. Been using it 5 years (just logging).

Surprised it is not a first choice here.....
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
Randy G
TC4C - The only experience I had with those (and it was a lot) was with the Hottop (HTC+TC4C). I didn't think about using the TC4C as a standalone unit. Good Call.

turtle

JackH wrote:

TC4/TC4C - four inputs. Been using it 5 years (just logging).

Surprised it is not a first choice here.....

I also use this interchangeably with my meter.

I just find the meter much faster to set up and take down (probe plugs as opposed to small screws connecting wires)

Other than the added setup/take-down effort the results are identical.

My TC4C has a LED read out of BT/ET but the meter also displays BT/ET

Having a read out of temp is NICE as you can have your interface device in a more convent location than a laptop. USB cables can be as long as you want, probe cables are limited in length.

Artisan supports a wide range of meters. Your friend may already have one that is supported. Before recommending, check the list of supported interfaces/meters.

TC4C/LED+Hottop+Artisan set up

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/Hottop/6-25-2015_roast_zpsvgybtvpe.jpg

JackH
I built the TC4 and LCDapter into my roaster's base. It can run stand alone. or connected to a laptop with the USB cable.
JackH attached the following image:
kktofrontbetter_1.jpg

---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
snwcmpr

Randy G wrote:

TC4C - The only experience I had with those (and it was a lot) was with the Hottop (HTC+TC4C). I didn't think about using the TC4C as a standalone unit. Good Call.

I have the TC4 JackH built on the roaster Allen built. Easy connection with 2 probes (4 wires). USB output to my laptop, I use Roastlogger to log only.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".
greencardigan
I agree that the TC4/TC4C is not as 'plug and play' as some other options but it is probably much more versatile (I use it with Artisan, Roastlogger, bluetooth with android app and standalone)

Is it possible he'll want control as well as log some day?
Randy G
I think that the TC4C would be great. Right now he is using a homemade 1kg drum gas roaster that is turning out a decent roast. He roasts three batches a week for 6 pounds. He does not have any control system other than fan speed and manual gas control. I had a straight espresso at his shop (which is far more a bakery than a coffee shop), and it was quite drinkable. Wasn't fond of what I assumed was the Indonesian he used in the post-roast blend. I will try to assist him in the future on that one. Still, I was able to finish the double without a wince and we all know how rare that is!

I see him gaining great benefit from being able to see the ET and BT in real time, how they interact, and then being able to use a previous roast in the background to "trace." He has one K thermocouple installed already so this would be fairly easy to implement if the TC4C is burned with the Artisan control.

After I get back from Atlanta I am planning on heading over there and spending a few hours with him to see what he has set up and we will go from there.

For those in the Chico/Nor Cal area, check out Country Morning Bakery and Cafe at 2625 Aztec Dr., 95928. They make breads and pies from scratch on the premises ! You can watch the folks there rolling out the pie dough.

turtle
If all he needs to do is "watch" BT/ET a meter will show that.

I find that I rarely save any of my artisan graphs once the roast is finished.

They are all pretty much the same anyway.

I find that many times I just use my meter and a digital kitchen timer

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/roasts/amprobe_tmd-56_timer_zpsyo20exbk.jpg

Randy G
He is not advanced enough to judge just by the ET and BT numbers on a meter. The Artisan graphs are not only an excellent monitoring tool but also a great learning tool. Even after this many years of home roasting, Artisan along with the knowledge I gained from Scott Rao's book has improved my roasts as well as making them a lot more consistent.

snwcmpr
As for 'just a meter'. I really use the RoR. I do not necessarily need the graph. So, in that case it is the TC4 that has been my greatest tool. I now know when it will be at a particular temp at a particular time. I can roast without the graph, but I couldn't roast without the BT & RoR.
Just me.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".
Jump to Forum: