Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

10/17/2021 12:40 PM
Ploni and nader fouad, Welcome!

10/15/2021 2:19 AM
merlot85, maycondelpiero and hoeltz, Welcome !

10/14/2021 10:06 AM
Thanks for the addition to the group. Seriously considering building a drum roaster along the lines of oldgrumpus's. Love the design and craftsmanship.

10/14/2021 4:00 AM
Morning, ar3mia ! and... coffee drink

10/12/2021 11:55 AM
Evan Slack and CupOfJoe, Welcome !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 12

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,362
Newest Member: nader fouad

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gate Valve from Sanitary Fittings
JETROASTER
Here's a quick, clean, low profile gate valve made from a quick-clamp and (weldable) ferrules. These ferrules can also be had as a threaded fitting.
I've purchased through McMaster Carr (super-fast...a touch pricey) and Aliexpress (slower and cheaper)
This was a 1.5" assembly. Time; 7 minutes. Cost; $20 (McMaster Carr)
One slice in the side of the clamp to allow the gate to slide in, and a little trim out of the silicone gasket to give the gate a seat around the entire ferrule. I used a 4.5" cutoff saw and some curved clippers.
The stock for the gate needs to be slightly thinner than the gasket. Once assembled, tightening the clamp secures the gate, slightly loosened allows the gate to be moved and then re-secured. The silicone gaskets are food safe and rated a bit above 400f, but they'll take a little more.
It is not something I'd use for fluids or to be absolutely airtight, but good enough for controlling airflow or bean evacuation. I hope it helps someones design. Cheers, -Scott
JETROASTER attached the following images:
valve_open.jpg valve_gasket.jpg gate_slot.jpg
allenb
Scott,

Great post on these fittings! I was thinking of using them a few years ago but thought they would be way too expensive. Looks like this is not the case.

Here's a link to Imclaren's build using them:

http://forum.home...rowstart=0

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
JETROASTER
Hi Allen,
The ferrules are also available in aluminum. They seem common in the world of custom auto exhaust and turbo applications. The tubing is considerably cheaper. I've bought some stuff from this outfit on Aliexpress. Reasonable pricing if you're not in a hurry. Not the same quality as the German stuff, but good for the price.
Wenzhou Shifeng Metals Co., Ltd
Sanitary fittings are a standard part of food process equipment, even more available now with the emergence of home brew and micro brewers.
Cheers to that! -Scott
JETROASTER attached the following image:
alum_ferrule.jpg
broeker
We call them Tri clover fittings.... I've got them with high temp gaskets on my latest roaster.... They are convenient because they fit standard sized hygienic tube..
Jump to Forum: