Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,626
Newest Member: RoyB

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
HotTop 2k+ as Sample Roaster?
TimPiazza
I really needed to sit down and figure out how to write an alarm program for the HotTop. I took a crack at it this evening.

I managed to create an Alarm file that provides a pop-up alarm for the charge, then runs a profile into 2nd crack and drops/cools. I roasted a 250g batch of Kenya in 2 sequential roasts, and while the automation sequence worked, I did run into a couple of glitches to work through.

Do you know how to, or if it's even possible to, set the states of the motor, door and stirrer at the beginning of an Alarm file? When I run a Drop from the alarm, it opens the door to the bean chute then leaves it open. This was a problem when I charged a roast and the beans dumped into the cooling tray. :-)

TimPiazza
In an attempt to answer my own question, I'm going to try setting the ON Event with a HotTop Command: heater(10);fan(0);drum(1);solenoid(0);stirrer(0)

Randy G
Somewhere on this forum I posted a link to a zip file with my alarm file in it that runs the Hottop +. It included the recorded and saved roast data as well so that you could load it as a template.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

JackH
Found it Randy.

http://www.frcndi...5files.zip

With your permission, we can add this to the downloads section to make it easier to find.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

alext

Do you know how to, or if it's even possible to, set the states of the motor, door and stirrer at the beginning of an Alarm file? When I run a Drop from the alarm, it opens the door to the bean chute then leaves it open. This was a problem when I charged a roast and the beans dumped into the cooling tray. :-)

Not sure about doing that in the alarm file or not. What I do is to close the program and restart everything between roasts to make sure the HT is in the correct state. I did have a situation where the door was still open when I charged it and the beans went straight through :)

TimPiazza
I just pulled up a roast profile from a great roast made 2 weeks ago, and ran it on "autopilot". Amazing results. The roast was duplicated within a couple degrees through the entire process, from charge to drop. Once the BT probe dropped to below 250? I followed with a second roast using the same profile but different beans. Also great results.

Taking this back to my original question about using the HotTop 2K+ as a sample roaster, I see this sort of repeatability being a huge benefit for both developing roasting skill and developing roasting profiles. I have a baseline profile that I can now benchmark with, and I'm sure the learning curve is vastly shorter with both the insight that Artisan provides and the level of control the HotTop 2k+ provides.

TimPiazza
Just an update on this thread... Six months later, and I'm now the owner of a 2kg drum roaster, configured for propane. I went with the 2k rather than a 3k because I'm going to make it portable by placing it on a mobile cart.

I just started running seasoning roasts today, and I can see why Turtle said that the profiles don't port. My ET and BT thermocouples behave quite differently. The mass of the drum on a larger roaster makes the temperature changes smoother, but the larger issue is probe placement. My ET probe on the 2k roaster reads the exhaust air, which is often cooler than the BT, quite the opposite of the HotTop where the ET is typically higher than the BT.

I wouldn't mind adding a thermocouple that is inside the drum but outside the bean mass, but that will have to wait until later. For now, I am just going on the BT readings while I learn to tame this beast.

I still see the HotTop as a good tool as I move forward in this venture. If for no other reason than it provides a great scaled down version of the big roaster, and I can run demonstration roasts on it all day, driving from a custom profile, without worrying about getting distracted by customers. I find that if I drop the beans at the same temperature, the results of a roast are easily within a few degrees and several seconds of the intended target.

Jump to Forum: